Proposal: 30 Day Challenge

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Once upon a time, I used to write quite a bit. Hell, I wrote a book... Once. I created my own world, gave it history, creatures, even Gods an religion... Once.

I can't remember the last time I really wrote anything. I used to have a pretty nice scrap book in the form of my Crossology zetaboard forum that at least had tons of information and showed progression into stories, the universes they took place in and the characters that were wrapped up in them. Then it crashed and most of that work and all of my poetry more or less went kaput. Gones-ville, man. Gones-ville.

And since then, I really haven't been able to recover. While the poetry is gone and there's very little I can do about that, the information for my universes still hasn't made it's way back to the new Crossology. As a matter of fact, some things have even been changed and the only way I know that is recalling the ideas in my head. A head, might I add, that is constantly plagued with a million other non-writing ideas [mainly due to the fact that I have something I didn't have when I used to write constantly; A life]

So, this idea, this "proposal" is my way of attempting to force myself back into the writing scene a bit. More or less, I will give myself 30 days. Each day, I must somehow come up with some new form writing content. Meaning anything from a short scene to a character biography to even an entire chapter of one of my books. I haven't quite figured out the "rules" yet, but I'm thinking of doing a certain amount of words or a certain length of paper. Some standard rules are obvious; Default font and font size. No unique spacing or formatting.

These content pieces shall be put on Crossology, where I will even write a lil "blog" style piece for each bit of content, but I will, naturally, link to them from here [with the blog post here as well, probably]

Thoughts? Ideas for rules? Questions, concerns, gripes, complaints?

Answers?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Day 1 - [DEADLAND UNIVERSE] Character Bio - Tyrale Corren
Day 2 - [KRANIN UNIVERSE] Character Bio - Sage
Day 3 - [KRANIN UNIVERSE] - Story - Cellmates
Day 4 - [KRANIN UNIVERSE] - Story - Goblins at the Gate
Day 5 - [KRANIN UNIVERSE] - Story - Angel of Undeath
Day 6 - [GRAVEYARD SHIFT] - Series Background

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Why not just write one short story every week or so? Then find some way to connect them all into one big universe. That's what I'm pushing myself to do. (It's not going very well)

DM Cross

Reaction score
A) because it's too easy to find excuses not to do weekly tasks. Trust me, I know from work.

B) I already have 3 universes that have a total of probably 40+ stories already planned out. Nevermind additional ones I haven't planned out yet.

DM Cross

Reaction score
I think I might make a brief list of ideas to start with. Just so I don't sit down one day and go "... uhhh..."

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Made any progress yet, or is this still just an idea, something you want to do?

Wouldn't take too much time outta your day to just throw together a few basic ideas you'd like to write about, just here and there. You could probably get away with it at work, just every time you think of something else you might wanna write about you finish what you're doing, jot it down right quick and get back to work.

From a man fully-trained in its ways, I can tell you that procrastination is the bane to writing.

So get to work, nukka.

DM Cross

Reaction score
You'd be surprised the amount of crap I do in a day. Up at 0400, at work by 0430, work til 1400 [if I'm lucky and don't get stuck longer] and then a lot of the time it's home for a meal anywhere between 1800-1930, then usually bedtime at 2000, even though I don't really fall asleep til 2200 to even 2300... Then it's the same thing all over again. Keep in mind, going home is home to a pregnant wife and an 18 month old child who misses his daddy all day long. Then, I'm a Skyrim addict, along with being very devoted to my WWE programs each week [hey, we all have vices... Mine is wrestling] and then weekends are errands on Saturday and Sundays are family days, for the most part, before starting alllll over again at 0400 Monday morning.

That being said, I technically DO have a HUGE list of, if nothing else, topics to write about; I have to re-build the Crossology board, specifically the Kranin area that had a good 30-ish threads. Then the Graveyard Shift had a couple dozen threads between stories and character bios.

That being typed, the simplest direction to begin is to take a character a day. I could probably do 30 days of JUST character bios and have more characters left over at the end.

That being typed [ooh, repeat sentence starters! So original] the remaining thing would be the minimums I would need to cover. Do I create a "character sheet" of certain fields I need to construct, then write their backstory which must span a certain amount of characters or words?

Mmm. This has been a very productive post. Maybe this has hope of, you know, actually happening.

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Why not randomly post a thread with the topic you're writing. Or maybe a prompt. Or something. And post your stuff there? That way me or some other people who are interested can also write along as well and post it up. It's a good way to brush some of the webs away in the WC haha.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
If your intention for this 30-month project is primarily focused on character development, then a character sheet's a pretty good idea. The only downside is that most of who and what your characters are will be addressed in the bios of their sheets, making the rest of the details in the character sheet more or less superficial. So, might just be a waste of time, in that regard.

I wouldn't even shoot for a minimum if I were you - except to write each day you're trying to do this for. I'd suggest just writing what you've got off the top of your head, marking down some of the major details and anything else you're afraid of forgetting. If you sit down long enough to start writing, I've little doubt you'll get enough written down to meet your standards.

Maybe focus on trying to find a brief period in your schedule you can dedicate to this, just a 15-20 minute block where your lady can watch the chillun and you can have a minute of peace and focus. I know that's easier said than done, believe me, but if you can manage that then I'm sure you could manage this.

And Syndrome: I like your idea. Something we could all participate in (if properly executed) really could breath a lil' life back into this place. If you wanna start one yourself, go for it!

DM Cross

Reaction score
Why not randomly post a thread with the topic you're writing. Or maybe a prompt. Or something. And post your stuff there? That way me or some other people who are interested can also write along as well and post it up. It's a good way to brush some of the webs away in the WC haha.

Not that I'm against this idea, but for what I'm attempting to do the 30 day challenge for, well... It's a selfish thing to improve upon the quantity of MY notes for MY stories/universes... Not just to write.

Nothing personal.

I think I'm going to start brainstorming a list of 30 or more ideas. Which I will post. Somewhere.

At some point.

This week.

I hope.

You see where this is going...

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Concept's pretty interesting, I really like Tyrale's ascension into power being something someone else did. There's a huge cliche being exploited nowadays that tends to be the other way around.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Well, essentially, the idea behind a lot of my characters [a sub-conscious idea, not something planned] is that none of them PLANNED on being anything more than normal. Alexander and Thomas Stinda never KNEW or thought they'd be more than just a couple of laborers in their town during the colonization of the New World. Alexander Stinda becomes a Vampire of some renoun while Thomas Stinda becomes [or rather, is revealed to be] a very important High Guardian.

Even the human characters eventually grow into becoming something else.

I actually started a "character web" at work the other day to show which characters connect to which, surrounding the main character of the series Alexander Stinda. It helped me create a few new characters, too. If possible, maybe I'll scan that at work one day, e-mail it home and try to upload it and list what the character connections are. That would, however, be a huge spoiler for anyone not interested in getting some later-series knowledge.

But, alas...

DM Cross

Reaction score
Day 2. Character Bio. Sage. Kranin Universe.

http://w11.zetaboards.com/Crossology/topic/8134571/1/

Original post updated with the link as well.

Feedback? Always.

Personal note: Sage is one of my favorite characters. It may not be depicted in the character bio [mainly because I was trying to explain more of his history then I guess his actual personality] but the dude is absolutely nuts. He's crazy, wild, unpredictable... He's the Kranin version of Heath Ledger's The Joker.

Love him.

DM Cross

Reaction score
This is a long bit of a bit.

I wrote some historical information for the Graveyard Shift Universe, however it is written on paper, not online. It shall be transferred over soon, most likely tomorrow (provided I remember)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.