Report Psychedelic Drugs Don't Make People Crazy

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Contrary to what some anti-drug campaigns will have you believe, dropping acid probably isn't going to make you depressed or psychotic. In fact, psychedelics might actually be associated with better mental health, a new study finds.

Two neuroscientists from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology looked at associations between lifetime psychedelic use and mental health with data from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health in the United States. More than 13 percent of the 130,152 randomly selected survey respondents reported they had used psychedelics like LSD, psilocybin, mescaline and peyote at least once in their life. The study found that psychedelic use wasn't significantly associated with serious psychological distress, receiving or needing mental health treatment or psychiatric symptoms.

Psychedelic users were likely to be younger, unmarried, and male, when compared to non-users. They were likely to have used a whole range of illicit drugs, and to have said they enjoy risk-taking. But they were not more likely to have lasting depression, anxiety or psychosis as a result of their drug use. Nor did the study find any evidence for LSD flashbacks or hallucinations.

Last edited:

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I'm glad they're trying to clear the water with all of the misinformation about drugs that's out there, but I hope they can find a happy medium - we don't need to be convincing people that drugs are safe to do or anything. A total 180 on how we view drugs would be just as bad as how we have things now. A solid 90-110 turn on outlook would be about splendid.

Zakyath

Reaction score
we don't need to be convincing people that drugs are safe to do or anything

if something's safe, why convince people it isn't? although the results are slightly dubious, they clearly state that psychedelics are more than safe, even healthy.

DarkRevenant

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I would have preferred the article to clarify that marijuana is a mild hallucinogen (psychadelic) rather than a narcotic.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
if something's safe, why convince people it isn't? although the results are slightly dubious, they clearly state that psychedelics are more than safe, even healthy.

Actually, everything natural you can consume won't harm you more than a fucking Mackie D Burger if you take small dosages and don't overdo it. You can consume any amount of Psilocybin and not die of it for instance, unlike Alcohol. But to say it's healthy is... I don't know, I can't imagine it being healthy, as most halicinogens work like food poisoning.

But FireCat, I sometimes feel bad for you. I get the feel, that everything you ever state are the Words of another man or state. Depending on how strict you've been instructed. For once, try a new, dynamic take on things. For instance, if you ignore the fact that this article is about drugs, what else could you extract from this article? Thats right. You've been lied to by your government or whatever agency is responsible for drug propaganda. And what conclusion can you pull out of this information? That nothing seems like it is and generally someone has something to hide from you? Maybe. You'll not know as long as you don't open your mind.

Zakyath

Reaction score
But to say it's healthy is... I don't know, I can't imagine it being healthy, as most halicinogens work like food poisoning.

"healthy" is probably not the best word to describe psychedelics, no, I agree. but in this context, it seems to be... at least a little ;)

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
It will if you take too much. I've seen it happen... literally overnight. A few hits, yeah you'll probably be fine. A few pages? You're fucked; let's not pretend like it's hard. You take a triple of DMT (if you're awake long enough) and see how you come out; it will be stupider. And marijuana is in no way a narcotic, which (at least by it's intentional definition) is supposed to be a derivative of opium. Marijuana is just marijuana. You grow it, you pick it, you dry it, you smoke it, you're high. Not a hallucinogen by a long shot by anyone who has used hallucinogenics.

And this isn't science, this is some dude writing a couple pages on something they probably know nothing about hoping a lot of people read it. And not a hell of a lot else.

Varine

Reaction score
Actually, everything natural you can consume won't harm you more than a fucking Mackie D Burger if you take small dosages and don't overdo it. You can consume any amount of Psilocybin and not die of it for instance, unlike Alcohol. But to say it's healthy is... I don't know, I can't imagine it being healthy, as most halicinogens work like food poisoning.

But FireCat, I sometimes feel bad for you. I get the feel, that everything you ever state are the Words of another man or state. Depending on how strict you've been instructed. For once, try a new, dynamic take on things. For instance, if you ignore the fact that this article is about drugs, what else could you extract from this article? Thats right. You've been lied to by your government or whatever agency is responsible for drug propaganda. And what conclusion can you pull out of this information? That nothing seems like it is and generally someone has something to hide from you? Maybe. You'll not know as long as you don't open your mind.

Double because I'm drunk and my backspace key us small and I am having a lot of trouble typing. Go take whatever berries you found on the ground and come back telling me you can take whatever is natural. Ever eaten a blowfish? Alcohol is natural as shit, and, along with there being a lot of different mushrooms that fall under Psilocybin, you can overdose on that shit hardcore (I have taken a lot of people to the hospital that I know for certain did nothing but take too many mushrooms). I've put many a overdosers under a cold shower to try and not have to take them to the hospital. Like, that entire post was complete and udder idiocy and bullshit that no one should ever go by. You will fucking DIE if you take too many shrooms, happen to take the wrong kind of even non-hallucinogenic mushroom, or even eat the wrong berry. Nature did NOT evolve to be your friend; it evolved to straight up kill you. The fact that you hallucinate is evidence that you are being poisoned and nothing else; if you want to disagree, you are either a complete fucking idiot (that will probably overdose on mushrooms) or in denial. When it comes to drugs, Firecat tends to not be very right a lot, but when it comes to this, he happens to be right. If something makes you not sober, then it is generally not good for you. There is no denial of this; it's a simple fact of how drugs work. Even weed will fuck your lungs up, just like straight oxygen will.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
Double because I'm drunk and my backspace key us small and I am having a lot of trouble typing. Go take whatever berries you found on the ground and come back telling me you can take whatever is natural. Ever eaten a blowfish? Alcohol is natural as shit, and, along with there being a lot of different mushrooms that fall under Psilocybin, you can overdose on that shit hardcore (I have taken a lot of people to the hospital that I know for certain did nothing but take too many mushrooms). I've put many a overdosers under a cold shower to try and not have to take them to the hospital. Like, that entire post was complete and udder idiocy and bullshit that no one should ever go by. You will fucking DIE if you take too many shrooms, happen to take the wrong kind of even non-hallucinogenic mushroom, or even eat the wrong berry. Nature did NOT evolve to be your friend; it evolved to straight up kill you. The fact that you hallucinate is evidence that you are being poisoned and nothing else; if you want to disagree, you are either a complete fucking idiot (that will probably overdose on mushrooms) or in denial. When it comes to drugs, Firecat tends to not be very right a lot, but when it comes to this, he happens to be right. If something makes you not sober, then it is generally not good for you. There is no denial of this; it's a simple fact of how drugs work. Even weed will fuck your lungs up, just like straight oxygen will.

Of course Alcohol is a natural product, but it fucks you up more than Shrooms or Marijuana. Drink a liter of Vodka. You'd probably be drunk. Drink another liter and you'd probably die. In contrast, try eating as many Shrooms as you can. You won't die cause of the poison. The effect changes and you're prone to a bad trip, but theoretically, you will never reach the point of dying of high dosage ( unless you don't know shit about Shroom and pick the wrong ones ).
But that doesn't matter too much really, if you can read you'd actually realise, that I said that all natural drugs won't do you more harm than a Burger you buy at any Fastfood restaurant. I used alcohol as a reference in contrast to the amount you'd have to take to die of Shrooms. I understand you were drunk at that point, but thats no excuse and besides, I never said that any one is healthy.
And I never said hes right or wrong. Hell, I don't really care much what you do or don't as it's your own body and you alone are responsible for it. But when people say things like Tylenol is legal and is therefore better than a natural painkiller, be it whatever you want it to be, you'll see that it isn't so.
I also do not agree with you, that nature has evolved to kill you. Thats just stupid. If you know by making the expirience, you'll actually learn how to use nature to your advantage unless you're dense. Next time, try to hold your liquor.

Varine

Reaction score
As I said, denial and ignorance of the biochemical effect of drugs (and apparently food). Next time, try to educate yourself. You apparently have free school, so it can't be that prohibitive. The psychoactive risks are far more than the physical risks in most drugs; your heart rate can increase dramatically leading to any number of issues, most likely a fibrillation. You don't need to have a bad trip to lead to severe issues, though that will make it worse. You panic slightly for whatever reason, you will likely have an increase in temperature along with the possibility of heart fibrillation. Your brain can fail to make the necessary connections by inhibition of the nerves, which can disrupt mandatory physical actions, like breathing. I didn't say that they were physically dangerous or a major issue; I said they were dangerous and shouldn't be written off as safe because you won't poison your blood stream.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.