Quest Special Effects

skullkidd

Reaction score
Alright I'm sure you know what the quest special effects are. You know the "talktome" one and the questionmark one. Alright so im making an ORPG and I'm using them. I have a quick question though about them.
(I'll try to explain this to the best of my ability)

Alright so your getting a quest from someone with a mark over his head. After you talk to him it disappears. But it disappears for every player... Is there a way to have it disappear JUST for the player getting the quest and turn to a questionmark when your doing the quest, JUST for the person who got the quest. And then disappear completely after you finish everything. To everyone else (who have not done the quest) it stays as the "talktome" special effect over their head?

Thanks for any help. I'll rep with even the slightest help. I really need this.

XxShadyxX

I abused the rep system.
Reaction score
Hm... In my opinion I would just leave the special effect on? I kinda always forget which unit had the Quest.... Anyway I don't think it is possible unless there is a Hide/Unhide special effect trigger? Maybe you can do it in JASS make a request and some1 might answer it! GL

Draphoelix

It's not the wintercold that's killing me
Reaction score
I think you can't show a special effect for only one player. The only solution I could think of would be making a unit with that model and give it invisible and change it's ownership so only some players can see it.

skullkidd

Reaction score
This sounds difficult. What I am doing right now is what XxShadyxX said... Just leave it on. Ill check for a JASS way I guess. Anyone else have any ideas?

PooBucket

Reaction score
Actually, I believe it is already there. On the Special Effects create you go to Extra I think.

xAnaMorphine

Reaction score
Alright I'm sure you know what the quest special effects are. You know the "talktome" one and the questionmark one. Alright so im making an ORPG and I'm using them. I have a quick question though about them.
(I'll try to explain this to the best of my ability)

Alright so your getting a quest from someone with a mark over his head. After you talk to him it disappears. But it disappears for every player... Is there a way to have it disappear JUST for the player getting the quest and turn to a questionmark when your doing the quest, JUST for the person who got the quest. And then disappear completely after you finish everything. To everyone else (who have not done the quest) it stays as the "talktome" special effect over their head?

Thanks for any help. I'll rep with even the slightest help. I really need this.

This isn't possible because Warcraft 3 isn't client sided.
Don't even bother to try it.

skullkidd

Reaction score
shit alright. Thanks anyway.

but Draphoelix is right. There are other ways like what he mentioned. Cause I know its been done b4

jnZ

I
Reaction score
the only thing i can think of is creating multiple quest ppl. like you get a quest from a farmer and up to 8 players are able to play your rpg. create 8 farmers at exactly the same location (collision off etc) and change the ownership of farmer 1 - 8 to player 1 - 8. make shure youve added invisibility to the "farmer" so if player 1 arrives at the farmer he can only see the farmer owned by himself because the others are invisible. also change range of sight for the farmer to 0 so the players cant see them before. and maybe add locust to them so the players cant use them (or trigger it to de-select them immediately).

also make sure there is no true-sight ability in your rpg or otherwise a player would be able to see all farmers

EDIT: wtf sry didnt saw Draphoelix already mentioned that -.-
but anyway here you got an more explicit eplaination

skullkidd

Reaction score
yah i was about to say thats kinda what the other guy said. but yah it would take awhile, but i supose i could do that.

Would the special effect be invisible too?

Draphoelix

It's not the wintercold that's killing me
Reaction score
Would the special effect be invisible too?

It's the unit with the special effect as model who should be invisible, or what do you mean? You can base it off a flying unit with that model, and when a player have taken the quest, make it invisible for that player and change ownership to the other players as allies so they can see it.

jnZ

I
Reaction score
you meant creating several questionmark-model-units with invisibility over 1 "farmer"? that would work 2 but i wouldnt do that because iam sure that he will create more thatn 1 quest and changing the flying height to suit the unit would be some extra work. just create several "farmers" and attach the effect, the effect will be invisible if the farmer is invisible

skullkidd

Reaction score
Yah the flying unit one would be a little more work then just over laping the same unit.

So what I would do is say i have 8 players (which i do... and one of them is a farmer haha, so lets use that as a example).

I would create 8 farmers, all with "talktome" special effect over their heads. With ownership with one of the players. Make them invisible and directly on top of eachother. Turn collision off. (how do i do that, is it in object editor?(unit)) Set range of sight to 0.
Then make it so the player can't control the farmer. (So i can do this by using a trigger? )

jnZ

I
Reaction score
you can make units unselectable by adding locust to them - or trigger it, locust would be just easier so use it

you can turn off the collision by changing the collision value to 0 in the object editor or trigger it, setting the value would be easier so do it make shure that the movement type is "fly"

skullkidd

Reaction score
Thanks,

so Turn collision off at map init. OR set collision of unit to 0

Fly? I thought they are just going to over lap... and the flying way was another method?

skullkidd

Reaction score
bump, forget about it. Its way too much extra work makin the quests. Maybe in later versions. Thanks for your help.

jnZ

I
Reaction score
Thanks,

so Turn collision off at map init. OR set collision of unit to 0

Fly? I thought they are just going to over lap... and the flying way was another method?

what do you mean? unit with collision 0 still have a collision ^^ sounds wierd huh? however if you set movementtype to fly AND collision to 0 they finaly have no collision ^^ otherwise turn the collision off via trigger or add the "ghost" ability to them (that way they would be invisible and pathable)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.