Question about copyright issues in writing fantasy

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
Hello my fellow writers. Today, I come to you with a question that has bugged me for quite some time.

Let's face it; most of us write because we love to write, however, would our works have the chance to get published, we probably wouldn't say no.

My question is probably pretty simple: Would I run in to copyright problems if, oh, say, I used the race of Orc's in my writing? I don't see why I would, as quite a few fantasy writers have. But, allow me to dig deeper, what if I used a type of "holy" men called Paladins? would that be a problem?

I thank you for any advice; have a nice day, and enjoy writing.

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
Ah, alright, I thank you. Probably the first fantasy I read was The Lord of the Rings (as I'm sure is the case for many) quite a few years ago, long before Blizzard created warcraft. Since then, it's hard to find fantasy work that doesn't have some type of Elf, Dwarf, Orc, or other un-human characteristics to it.

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
An addition to my question, would it be "fair use" or what ever you want to call it if the Elves in my works of fiction lived for a very, very long time, much in the way they do in "the lord of the rings?"

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it would be fine to do that, much in the way a character from one book might share some similar traits to a character from a completely different series; though I guess there would be limits at some point (I am not a lawyer :p).

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
Lol indeed. In my further research, I should be fine so long as Aragorn doesn't make an appearance anywhere in my writings :p

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Most of these characters (I believe Tolkien created the "Orc" that we know today) are from mythology. If you follow a certain mythology, then you should be fine.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Most stuff like that is free for all stuff. Like Ninva said, a lot of our creatures and warriors are based either on mythology or actual warriors of the past. Orcs are actually creatures of myths, as are certain Gods, faeries, even places [Hell, Asgard, etc. etc.]

No one really "owns" these things and if ever questioned, a simple statement of "I got the idea from myths, legends and cultural tales" clears you from getting sued by anyone who thinks they own "Orcs" or any other creature.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.