Question about GUI and GALAXY

sLsIDK

Reaction score
What should I start with?

I was thinking of pretending GUI didn't exist and just start with the GALAXY language, but I don't know how good/bad the GUI is(/will be). What are your guys' opinions?

Also I don't know much JASS, but I do know a bit of C++ and seeing as GALAXY is a lot more similar to C than JASS, I was thinking it wouldn't be as hard as trying to learn JASS.

Beetlebomb

Reaction score
What should I start with?

I was thinking of pretending GUI didn't exist and just start with the GALAXY language, but I don't know how good/bad the GUI is(/will be). What are your guys' opinions?

Also I don't know much JASS, but I do know a bit of C++ and seeing as GALAXY is a lot more similar to C than JASS, I was thinking it wouldn't be as hard as trying to learn JASS.

I've always gone with the traditional approach of starting slow and working my way up. I believe if you start with GUI you'll learn what the Starcraft 2 Editor is truly capable of right off the bat. Moving into the language afterwards can speed up that process, but if you skip GUI entirely you could very well be missing some vital information that you would've otherwise known from the get go.

--Beetle

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
This is a bit strange but i don't know c or c++ or any variation of programing but with jass i can understand galaxy language, probably because blizzard don't want to 'run' so far then warcraft in terms of editor.

Start with gui is a good idea, ok, i confess you'll lose a bit time of your life to it because when you see what jass can do, you'll say the same thing which people say "gui sucks bla bla bla" but man, what is jass if noone can understand it? :rolleyes:

I mean, gui help lots of people to understand what things do and how make things which without gui don't will happen also help people to understand the max capacitate of warcraft.

How a guy will know the max array size of a variable without gui? Testing lots and lots of times :rolleyes::rolleyes: and others things :p

Baldar

Reaction score
I heard that Starcraft II's GUI will be more powerful and more user-friendly than Warcraft III's GUI. Throught, I don't know what is new.

overload119

Reaction score
Yes, the GUI in SC2 will prolly be just as efficient as the GALAXY part of it. You won't have to do any more Custom Script calls to cover Blizzard' failures.

With that being said, it'll always be slower to code with. (I think... Hmm, someone should test this fully).

sLsIDK

Reaction score
Coding and using GUI are generally the same speed. While GUI is the same speed for just about everyone, coding depends on your typing speed and the ability to know the function (or native/whatever) of everything you want to use.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.