Question about Item Stacking

Mr_Bean355

Reaction score
I am wandering how item stacking works. For example, if I make 2 different items which each give bash, how do i know which bash it will use? Or will it use both?

Also, does the "Stats - Cooldown Group" play a role, or is that only for active spells?

Thanks for any help!:D

jackall

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
i noticed that has something to do with the slot that items occupies(in dota)
so what i did is:
got 2 orb effects
then tried to see if both work(obviously not)
and then experimented with the slots they occupy, the slot priority goes like this afaik: upper-left 1st, upper-right second, middle-left 3rd, middle-right 4th, bottom-left 5th and bottom-right 6th
hope this helped you ^-^

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
I doubt that helped at all, but the spell cooldown is only for active spells as far as i know.

Mr_Bean355

Reaction score
I have read that, for example, you have the following items:
Evasion - 25% chance
Evasion - 30% chance

It will use the 30% chance evasion because it is higher. Any truth to this?

Necrach

Reaction score
I have read that, for example, you have the following items:
Evasion - 25% chance
Evasion - 30% chance

It will use the 30% chance evasion because it is higher. Any truth to this?

True. I believe most passive abilities of the same sort, like Auras, Bash, Evasion, etc, are as if they were based off the same base abiltiy (well, they ARE :p) Meaning, they can NOT stack. And I do also believe that it will somehow pick the passive ability with highest effect (but I am not sure, at least I know it priors auras and abilities that the hero HAVE rather than items).

If you WANT the to stack, you could trigger it, of course :eek:

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
Okay, that makes sense.

Could you give an example of what you mean, please?

To trigger spells or item abilities, you can use dummy casters to achieve different effects, such as stunning the target. In case you don't know what I mean, there are lots of tutorials out there on this topic. here is one.

Mr_Bean355

Reaction score
To trigger spells or item abilities, you can use dummy casters to achieve different effects, such as stunning the target. In case you don't know what I mean, there are lots of tutorials out there on this topic. here is one.

I do know about dummy casters, but thanks for the link! Thanks for your help!

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
Sorry if I'm hijacking your post, but here is a question that is sort of related to this topic:

Does it take the higher level, or the higher value?

eg: Both abilities are different but have the same base
Ability 1: Lvl 1 Evasion gives 20% chance.
Ability 2: Lvl 3 Evasion but gives 15% chance.

Will it take prefference to Ability 1 because it has a higher value, or will it take Ability 2 because it is of a higher level?

Another thought, is this the same for passives as for aura's?
-because as far as i know the higher level aura is shown.

Yet i have not tried this so I'm not 100% sure, I would test it but i wont be near a computer with WE for a few days.
Does anyone know?

Mr_Bean355

Reaction score
Does it take the higher level, or the higher value?

eg: Both abilities are different but have the same base
Ability 1: Lvl 1 Evasion gives 20% chance.
Ability 2: Lvl 3 Evasion but gives 15% chance.

Will it take prefference to Ability 1 because it has a higher value, or will it take Ability 2 because it is of a higher level?

I would imagine that it would use the higher level ability, but I'm also not 100% sure.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the items in the first inventory slot take first priority, not sure if that's true.

Inflicted

Currently inactive
Reaction score
Okay well if anyone is bored and want something to do, please test this. I'm curious as to what the answer will be.
Otherwise, I will just test it out in a few days..

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
I'm suddenly reminded of a small map I made, with a whole lot of different orbs. Even if you have all six orbs, only the effects of the first orb will have any chance of occuring, but any passive abilites you add on to the orbs themselves still take effect.

Solu9

Reaction score
I am using different items with the ability to crit at the moment. It works like this.
Item 1: Crit chance 15% x2 damage
Item 2: Crit chance 10% x3 damage

The game will check both values. Therefore:
Average damage of the hero = 100
The hero is able to crit two times in one hit.
One with x2 damage = 200
One with x3 damage = 300
for a maximum of 500 damage in one hit.

If you have two items with let's say Evasion it will check both items to see if you evade an attack.

Hope it helped.

Ignitedstar

Reaction score
I know for sure that multiple Critical Strikes stack. There are plenty of ORPGs and other... less inspiring maps that abuse this.

Evasion: It's harder to detect multiple evasions since you only get one message: "Miss!"

Bash should stack since the fields make it behave like Critical Strike, but still... 50/50 on that one.

Auras FOR SURE, only the highest level aura is put into effect. The buffs keep track of things by level. I confirmed this due to DotA having a mistake (can't really call it a bug if oversight is at fault) with the Vengeful Spirit's Command Aura not working if you put it to level 4. Afterwards, I went and tried it myself.

I know that Drunken Brawler (does Critical Strike and Evasion) stacks with both Critical Strike and Evasion themselves simply because it is a different base ability.

Orb effects work based on the item slot closest to slot 0, where the slots in an inventory are:

0, 1
2, 3
4, 5

Solu9

Reaction score
To clarify if we are talking about the same "type" of stacking.
Two items with critical strike chance will not add together. Ex: Item 1 has 20% crit chance, Item 2 has 25% crit chance. If you carry both items it does not mean you get 45% crit chance. It means you get (in one hit) 2 chance of getting a critical strike. One chance with 20% and one with 25%.

So they will not stack in the "adding-to-each-other" way.
They will stack in the "you-have-more-chances-of-getting-a-crit" way.

Solu9

Reaction score
i believe it does play a role.

Cooldown group is only factored if the item has an use ability like "Holy Light". The item will then share cooldown with items in the same cooldown group. However the remaining stats the item has will still be in function.

Mr_Bean355

Reaction score
To clarify if we are talking about the same "type" of stacking.
Two items with critical strike chance will not add together. Ex: Item 1 has 20% crit chance, Item 2 has 25% crit chance. If you carry both items it does not mean you get 45% crit chance. It means you get (in one hit) 2 chance of getting a critical strike. One chance with 20% and one with 25%.

So they will not stack in the "adding-to-each-other" way.
They will stack in the "you-have-more-chances-of-getting-a-crit" way.

Yes, that makes sense. So it will be the same then with other passives, like Bash and Evasion?

Mr_Bean355

Reaction score
Another Question

Hi guys,

I have another question regarding items:
How can you make it, like in DotA, so that when you pick up the final item for a recipe but your inventory is full it still puts the item together and doesn't say "Inventory is full"? Is it possible to do this with the GUI?

Thanks for any help :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.