Question on Selling Scripts

TFlan

I could change this in my User CP.
Reaction score
I have created a "script" that someone is interested in buying. After the said buyer contacted me I realized I could sell it to many more potential users.

Before I sell to this buyer, I was wondering if there were a few things I needed to do to ensure the buyer would not steal this script and escape legal action.

For example:
Initial Price: 20$
Annual: 5$

(obviously the prices aren't real)

I've read many times over that for the internet all you need is
Code:
Copyright <copyright sign> <year(s)>, <owner>

Without having to formally register it.

Is that true? If not where is a good place to learn how to protect yourself?

Thanks!

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
Does vBulletin hire companies to take care of piracy for them? Do those companies ever go beyond sending a letter to the hosting company? And even if they were to go further, do you know how much beyond the price of the product it would require?

vBulletin can be protected because it is valuable enough. But even vBulletin's protection has limits just as it's value.

The point is Player 11 sounds like he wants to be able to go after people who steal his code, and that's not going to happen unless he plans on paying for it, which removes the point in selling scripts in the first place, thus there's no point in worrying about such things.

TFlan

Reaction score
No.

TFlan

Reaction score
Initial question was never answered, but I have a new relevant one.

How would you price web software? What factors would account for increasing the price or decreasing it.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
How would you price web software? What factors would account for increasing the price or decreasing it.

I can write something equivalent or better myself. -> $0.00
It is some locking-in proprietary stuff. -> $0.00
An open-source equivalent exists. -> $0.00
The technology used is outdated. -> $0.00
It is listed quite often on lists provided by Secunia and similar. -> $0.00
There is no guaranteed support or product lifespan. -> $0.00
Previous works of the "programmer" look like my-first-<put language here> program. -> $0.00

Assuming one ends up here, other criteria will be evaluated, such as running costs, requirements, usefulness. If the price meets these expectations, it could be worth a quick look, otherwise it's being laughed at and discarded.

TFlan

Reaction score
I can write something equivalent or better myself. -> $0.00
It is some locking-in proprietary stuff. -> $0.00
An open-source equivalent exists. -> $0.00
The technology used is outdated. -> $0.00
It is listed quite often on lists provided by Secunia and similar. -> $0.00
There is no guaranteed support or product lifespan. -> $0.00
Previous works of the "programmer" look like my-first-<put language here> program. -> $0.00

Assuming one ends up here, other criteria will be evaluated, such as running costs, requirements, usefulness. If the price meets these expectations, it could be worth a quick look, otherwise it's being laughed at and discarded.

Screw you too. Now instead of insulting me how about you just don't post next time? Huh?

Edit::
Especially when you don't even know what it is.

duyen

Reaction score
flame war between programmers?

epic lulz

__

I would think you price your scripts based on how long it took you to write, and if there was any other scripts like yours.

TFlan

Reaction score
Yea I know the time factor, I guess I miss asked my question. What I'm asking is just a general price range for different things, from a full fledged CMS down to the kiddie scripts.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Send me a PM telling me what you made and I'll tell you a good price to sell unique, lisence, subscribed, etc.

TFlan

Reaction score
Yes I know, I'm in charge of it at my school, but in contrast phpBB3 is free, yet this site uses VBulletin, which is not.

(and you gotta love free software holes... joomla/index.php?option=com_user&view=reset&layout=confirm)

Get my point?

PM sent.

JerseyFoo

1/g = g-1
Reaction score
I'd say a script is best priced by three factors. It's relative-to-market awesomeness, popularity, and legacy (of developer). So... $0. Really, that is the best price.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Really, why would you make people pay for the script? Either they won't buy it or they'll get someone else to make it for them (or themselves if they can).

TFlan

Reaction score
... it's not like it's a 3 line javascript function that just says "hello world" ...

by script i mean full fledged system, why do you keep repeating the same comment over and over.

in your wisedom, why buy a vbulletin license when u can get phpbb3 for free?

All i'm asking is just a simple price range for different things, not a mockery of my capabilities/redundant posts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.