Question on Skeletal Animation (or if there is any possibility of achieving it)

Mindless

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm assuming everyone everyone knows about skeletal animation.

However, just in case, skeletal animation is simply when you animate a unit via control nodes called bones and joints (i.e. when you move a bone or rotate a joint, the part of the unit, such as its leg, that is associated with the bone will move accordingly).

Is there any way to animate units in SC using this technique via triggers, abilities, or something?

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. The definition of skeletal animation may not be correct, but it is how I preceive it.

Mindless

Reaction score
Here's an idea; it might be a crazy idea.

I can make a model of each part of the unit, such as its legs, arms, head, etc. as seperate models. Then I'll program a library in the trigger editor that moves these models around in space, such as rotating them and moving them etc.

Will that work?

s3rius

Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
Reaction score
I tried this before, with the turret of a tank.

The problem is that it looks very bad, because you can't update the parts' position fast enough to make it look smooth. So the turret was always jumping and skipping.

You also can't attach the parts to each other, because moving the main unit will reset rotation (and maybe position) and animation of all attached objects.

Mindless

Reaction score
Aww, that's too bad. I was hoping for a solution to y FPS Shooter map I'm making.

Anyway, thank you very much, it saved me a lot of trouble of going out and trying that myself.

Thank you again! :thup:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.