Question on update techniques (pooling,long pooling, SSE...ect)

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
This is for learning purposes I don't have a project i am working on.

Lets suppose you have a webpage, that you want some graphs or data to update in real time, or worse case 5 sec per update (But doesn't hurt if its faster, user may be more happy) and would allow more options in the future.

Whats Important to me
  • Simple (or Straight forward, less requirements)
  • Works in all situations, assuming they can access a web page with a internet connection. (Meaning I don't want this to work for 50% of my users, at least 98%)
  • Speed Is Nice, But not super important, the more speed the more flexibility I have.
  • Flexible
What I Found

Pooling - Ajax request on a timer, that ask server for info and sends any info it needs.
The Best thing about this technique is its super simple requires no work on the server side.
qlMEU.png

Long Pooling - Ajax Request, but Server waits to return data to the user intill i has data ready to return. so keeps request open.
Requires some sever coding, to handle this, and ajax call in javascrpit. Faster then pooling, less requests sent, But if user wants to send data in, it needs to do it separately, from ajax call, else you would be waiting for the server to get its data ready before you can tell it you did something else.

zLnOU.png

SSE (Server Sent Events) Or a tech like this (Comet, forever frame) - users sends ajax request to server, and server gives data back when it wants, and never closes the msg. requires a ect coding on both sides. if user wants to send it needs to send it separately (I believe).
Faster, then long pooling, only one connection, to get data, aside from ect coding on both sides to handle this i read its often used for things like stocks.

ziR5h.png

Web Sockets - Fastest, requires coding and many requirements on both sides. In today's world you wont have 98% of your users working with this, as it can be blocked by many things including firewalls, or just not supported (cell phone, ect).
CgDlc.png

SignalR - Microsoft's support. Fairly new. It requires code on the server and ajax calls and javascrpit includes. But uses websockets, foreverFrame, seversentEvents, longpolling. it trys the fastest but then falls back on the next one if it fails. It handles channels and has a fuction class, that you can use. Makes it simple to send to who you want or everyone. But prehaps the most overhead and requirements.

I think this is what i want to use, for most things future... unless i find somthing better.
It may be over kill on some projects but as a project gets larger it makes more sense. Its pretty much the only way i can use websockets with out coding a fall back system my self. I read it still has some bugs in it, as its fairly new. (Another note: is i can use it to connect to my unity, wpf projects , windows phone projects quite easily as well. and the server side stays the same)

At work we are just using polling as its fast enoufe, and works.
But for my own projects unless pooling is more then fast enough, i think i would use signalR over any of the other methods. But I would like to know of other ways, and what you guys think, and what you would use your self.

What are some good techniques for doing this, and why?
why shouldnt i use SignalR?

I used this a one of my sources of info to understand ways of doing this. (and for the images)
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...g-websockets-server-sent-events-sse-and-comet

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
SignalR is more of a framework, it seems, rather than a communication protocol, we should get the terms straight: a protocol is a method of communication, like the ones you described: polling, long polling, sockets. A framework is like SignalR. A library / collection of functions / whatever, which implements one or more protocols.

If you are asking which protocol to use, WebSockets is the way of the future for what you want, it's obviously the best protocol and this is what is used in network communication in similar instances as well. Sockets are generally a better way of communication when it comes to near real-time updates of some information, while the other protocols may be used in some special cases, when sockets are over kill.

However, WebSockets has horrible support at the moment, as you stated. In your case I'd go with polling, it's the easiest way to achieve what you want and it has reasonable speed, especially if you limit the number of requests per second / minute.

However, this is when talking about particular protocols. In a production project I would most certainly use a framework (like SignalR) and I am convinced that SignalR is not the only one on the market. I would use a framework because they generally have communities and are more robust than whatever I could scrape up. I am not quite fond of Microsoft frameworks (it's enough to take a look at the MS file system API to be horrified), so I'd rather search for alternatives.

At the moment I'm a bit pressed by time so I can't search for an alternative to suggest, but the base line is this: If you want to learn about the various protocols, implement WebSocket yourself with a polling fallback. If you want to make a professional project which is fast and flexible, use a framework. In case you don't find any other framework, use SignalR.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
First off thanks for the clarification on things.

SignalR is more of a framework. A library / collection of functions / whatever, which implements one or more protocols.
Protocol is a method of communication, polling, long polling, sockets ect.

WebSockets is the way of the future for what you want
Ok, Cool I wasnt sure if in the next 3-7 years it was going to just be that option that existed that is not really supported enoufe on phones, or have to many issues with antivirus or broswers (even though its in the html5 specs, that broswers plan to add) to become somthing that would be relieable enoufe to use in production and hit most users. But as you agreed its not ready to be the only way the user gets data today. But its my imperssion from you that at some point the future this will become much more standard, across all major broswers and phones.

However, WebSockets has horrible support at the moment

Good to know, and makes sense.

In your case I'd go with polling, it's the easiest way to achieve what you want and it has reasonable speed, especially if you limit the number of requests per second / minute.

Well I can agree, that its super simple to do this, and makes the most sense.
However, this is when talking about particular protocols. In a production project I would most certainly use a framework.

Ah. makes sense, if you were to attempt to do more then one protcol, its best to use somthing many people have used and viewed. I assume thats what you mean. Or do you mean you would use a framework even if using a single Protocol? I Imagine it may be helpful when using webSockets even if all the framework used was webSockets as Its my impression there a bit more involed.

I am not quite fond of Microsoft frameworks

I figured this was coming :). But I am to new of a programer to have experinced many of the other programering languages and frameworks. But I venture out more soon.

so I'd rather search for alternatives (Other then singalR)

K, Ill check some out, in a phone project we didnt want to host the msg sending, or build anything up from scratch so we used a paid service that had there own protcol, but for us was free as we had less then 100 concurrrent users. We used photon. But my younger brother did the coding for that. It took him quite a while to get it working just right, with our project, but that was a application not a webpage, but Pretty sure it can be used with html as well.

So far I have had pretty good luck with singalR, but I would imagine there are other more mature things out there. So i will look around. I dont care to know everything about every option, but it would be nice to at least look at a few before i dive into learning and practiceing one.

If you want to learn about the various protocols, implement WebSocket yourself with a polling fallback.

I will, I want to learn about this as much as i can, with out going to deep as i have many things i would like to learn. As its one thing to make somthing work, and another thing to have idea of what your doing.

I am planing on reading though this to get a better idea of packets. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596002971/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 But i know thats quite a bit differnt then request, but prehaps it will relate to webSockets. (Still learning likey have many terms off) (Also I cant start reading that book till i finsh my "Mircosoft" books. on asp.net and mvc. more then 50% done but still 700 pages to go. (may also read this http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Gu...TF8&qid=1389897450&sr=1-2&keywords=websockets)
If you want to make a professional project which is fast and flexible, use a framework.

Great so it sounds like i am on the right track.

Really Appericate it man. Very helpful to me. Ill work on keeping my terms more stright in the future.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Ah. makes sense, if you were to attempt to do more then one protcol, its best to use somthing many people have used and viewed. I assume thats what you mean. Or do you mean you would use a framework even if using a single Protocol? I Imagine it may be helpful when using webSockets even if all the framework used was webSockets as Its my impression there a bit more involed.

Generally, in a professional project, if you can find a robust framework with good support and documentation, it's faster and easier to just use it, regardless if they implement a single protocol or more than one (applicable to anything else besides communication protocols).

Of course, if it's a complex subject, there might be a learning curve (take Backbone.js for example), good practices, specific techniques and so on. And again, I re-iterate: robust, good support and documentation. If it's a shaky framework, you're better off implementing it yourself, if you can't find a replacement.

There also comes the time when you can't find something for your specific needs so then you either expand an open-source framework or create your own, but that's not applicable here.

So in this case, even polling might need some minimal framework, but web sockets definitely needs a framework, both for working with them and for fallback.

However, when you want to learn, implement things yourself.

As for web sockets, it has bad support at the moment because it's something new. The HTML specification wasn't originally built with things like web sockets or web workers (parallel computing) in mind, so HTML5 is bringing some new, really tricky and complex stuff to web development and we have to wait for the browser devs to step their game up.

On one hand, it's bad that they use the HTML specification for it, web workers for example are a bit cumbersome to work with (no idea about web sockets, didn't try my hand at them yet). On the other hand, it's nice that we at least have a glimpse that in the future we might be able to use them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits
  • Varine Varine:
    I see that, despite your insistence to the contrary, we are becoming a recipe website
  • Varine Varine:
    Which is unique I guess.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Actually I was just playing with having some kind of mention of the food forum and recipes on the main page to test and see if it would engage some of those people to post something. It is just weird to get so much traffic and no engagement
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.