Question: Saving Space in OE

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
OE = Obect Editor

I'm currently working on an ORPG (As seen in the Member's Projects), and I'm going to ask 2 questions bout saving space with Objects in the Object Editor:

1. Since Warcraft 3 TFT's WE has those long strings such as the item ability Item Attack Bonus (+whatever) and I change it to a shorter string such as Damage (+whatever), will it save some space in the map (Even if it's a little bit or it proves to be a small difference)?

2. With the units, if I remove the tooltip and whatever, will it reduce space (Like the first question)?

I'd like to know about space with the Objects....they seem to annoy me with long strings.

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
Yeah...it can save some space, I also got another question:

By making more and more custom objects, will it take up more Bytes than KB than modifying the ones Blizzard gives you?

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
Thanks for the furthur information.

Okay, I collected all the information here as I needed...just learning how to save some more space and to learn more about the Object Editor :).

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
The difference between a new custom unit and an edited existing unit is the new unit id that is created.
Which makes for a couple bytes (single characters).

You would have to use hundreds of such units before you clearly see the difference.

Hundred custom units, compared to that one imported skin you don't really need anyway... that makes a difference.
Map space depends on imports. The rest are details.

Chocobo

White-Flower
Reaction score
The difference between a new custom unit and an edited existing unit is the new unit id that is created.
Which makes for a couple bytes (single characters).

You would have to use hundreds of such units before you clearly see the difference.

Hundred custom units, compared to that one imported skin you don't really need anyway... that makes a difference.
Map space depends on imports. The rest are details.

Terrain is also unsignificant : A 256x256 is not so much compared to a 1 mb import.

Hundred of units will make ultra load lag :p

Doom-Angel

Jass User (Just started using NewGen)
Reaction score
if i delete all the unit's in object editor would it save any space or they are already builded on the world editor so they don't catch any space anyway?

AceHart

Reaction score
The usual default units the game comes with don't take any space.
Unless you edit some property, in which case the edited property will take some space.
Though, that's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

Doom-Angel

Jass User (Just started using NewGen)
Reaction score
but i remeber that if u create a custom unit takes more than editing so by what u say i can create a custom unit and edit it (based on copy from a unit) and it will take the same as normal editing...

AceHart

Reaction score
You noticed that any changed lines turn pink?
Well, every pink line needs a bit of space... regardless of default or custom.

Though the space needs for units are nothing compared to imports.

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
Honestly. (lol) I asked the same questions but in all seriousness that's like asking: "Will Edam cheese give me less calories than Colby cheese, if I replace the cheese in my hamburger?" Yes. But it's not enough calories to concern yourself with. If you really want less calories chuck the meat away.

And if I am playing a map I always want tooltips. It frustrates the hell out of me when people don't do tooltips, or give so minimal info that you don't know what to do with *this* unit. Deleting tooltips "to save space" is so not worth it.

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
I give tooltips a LOT of information, it's just the strings that bother me....such as this ability for an item called Claws of Attack +9:

Item Damage Bonus (+9)

I don't like that, I wish Blizzard reduced the strings a bit to something like this:

Damage (+9)

Now that makes a difference. I make tooltips longer than what most people do, I did Dragonhord's map for tooltips and guess what. He had a bit of information, like 1 to 2 sentences. I improved it to be more descriptive and at least tripled the string length. I like doing tooltips, but things that sound stupid make me whant to change the whole thing like from this:

A long sword but not really useful:
This is a weapon. Raises damage by 5, nothing special.

To this:

Longsword:
A sharp weapon, adds 5 to the hero's attack damage.

Oh yeah, you can see errors and stupid info like the first quote, in LOAP especially.

P

Peanuthead

Use MDX Squisher. Seen it on wc3campaigns.net, tool that like reduces model imports by like 20% at no quality cost.

Trade alot of objects for "virtual ones". Like say you have Lesser Gnoll, and Greater Gnoll. Just use triggers to edit Lesser Gnoll for Greater Gnoll's standards.

Its really all in the imports though. Get rid of all excess hero objects.

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
I didn't question anyone about a problem with models, and I wouldn't be asking about model problems if I didn't have MDX Squisher. We're talking about string lengths here, not model size, as I said before, read the first post before posting. This is becoming irritating because nobody reads the first post and models aren't part of my problem.

P

Peanuthead

Ok, theres is absolutely no point in deleting strings just to save room. Good? Sorry I was puzzled at how you seem to be so low on free map space so I assumed you had imports, and MDXS is very useful but not as well known.

Strings aren't part of your problem either.

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
Okay, as I said:

Thanatos_820 said:
Okay, I collected all the information here as I needed...just learning how to save some more space and to learn more about the Object Editor.

I already have my questions answered. Users can leech information that I've learned in this thread, so there's no point in helping in a thread that already has questions answered.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.