Questions regarding Warcraft III and RPG maps.

Draugr

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am new to Warcraft III as I stumbled upon a site with WC3 RPG maps. I did play Warcraft 3 many years ago when the original version first came out, but I never played it for a long period of time and it was quickly forgotten. Anyhow, after seeing that the game can be edited with the World Editor and turned somewhat into a RPG game I became very curious. I ran out after work and picked up the Battlechest edition of Warcraft III and can't wait to give it a whirl.

Because I was busy this evening I didn't even get to install the game, but will do so tomorrow night. In the mean time I was hoping some of you might be able to answer some questions I have on the RPG element of the game. I did search for quite some time specifically for information on exactly how RPG mode works and its features but I couldn't find any specific info on it.

Well, here are my questions. :)

1. Is it possible to have a multiplayer RPG world with multiple maps that would allow players who login to go about their business and move between maps separate from other players, or is the game locked into a single map? What I'm hoping is possible is something like this. A starter town or hub where the players spawn into. They can do the usual things in town and when ready they can leave town and enter one of multiple dungeons scattered about just outside the town perimeter. Each dungeon would be a separate map and thus if player A went to dungeon 1, would other players be able to go to dungeon 2, or 3 at the same time or is the game similar to Warcraft II where you could only play on a single map at a time?

2. When playing on one map and finishing, does a players hero retain any experience and loot so that they can continue on another RPG map?

3. If a player is running his own online RPG, are player heroes stored on that individual's game server or does battle.net save all hero information? Last time I was on battle.net was during Diablo II when it was just out, so I forget how online gaming works exactly on Battle.net.

4. How hard is it to make a RPG dungeon map where the idea is basically a dungeon crawl/hack n' slash? Is using the World Editor very difficult if a person wishes to create dungeon maps with creature and loot spawns and possibly a few quests?

Well, its late and I gotta get to sleep. I hope some of you might be able to answer some or all of the above questions. If the game can support certain features like allowing players on differnet maps on a single server while beginning in a central hub, or town map that would be great. I'd love to create a town and then have various dungeons scatterred about. Dungeons for beginner level heroes up to epic type dungeons for the most battle hardened adventurers.

Thanks
John

TheLegend

Reaction score
1. first of all, RPG warcraft 3 maps are hosted by a player and not blizzard or battle.net, you see all the RPG maps are played over lan so it isn't possible for a player to leave in the mid of the game to another map and come back, the game would have to start all over again. you see the rpg maps are scripted and coded by players who want to make them using the World Editor and NewGen World Editor or any other WE for warcraft 3
2. if the maker of the rpg didnt make a save system for the heroes it wont save a thing
3. as i said Battle.net has nothing to do with this and if you want the data to be stored you have to make a save/load system, since i think that youll just be playing not making RPG games that depends on the one who created it
4. depends on if you want to make it like wow or just put a hero and start killing, its very hard for a beginner to make a good rpg map with cinematics, cameras, quests, hero select systems

Smitty

Reaction score
Pfft, aim high :D Start simple, work from there. Read some of the tutorials in the World Editor tutorials section (top left bar) and let your imagination go wild :) Most things can be done if you have the know how.

TechHead

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it seems OP has yet to return :p
However:
1. Yes, you can have multiple dungeons. No, you cannot have more than 1 map (Some very well made RPG's black out the entire map outside of your current map so it makes the illusion you're transferring maps [See Maplestory RPG for a good example of this]). And no, you can't have it so a player has one particular map only he can stay in.

2. If by map you mean within the game move to different locations, yes. If by map you mean a different game map, then no.

3. Unless you play singleplayer and save, no you don't retain your RPG character's files. All of it is basically created and destroyed within the beginning and end of the game.

4. To make a good RPG (not specifically pointing at cinematics or animation) it requires a lot of work. It's not something most beginners can do successfully, but if you've got the imagination I'd say work your way up to it.

Try downloading and playing Dungeons and Dragon's RPG Warcraft 3 map. It's a very expandable and fun RPG, although you'll need like 3 more friends to fully enjoy it. In it, the host can summon and create a vast amount of monsters, he can create items, give gold, etc.

Also, making quests in RPG's suck. It never comes out good (or so I've experienced).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.