Questions suck.

W

what666said

Yeah I hate hearing people ask the same question a million times, so I've decided to make the end-all question tutorial... My idea is to make a map that has everything, a little tower defense, some AoS, CTF, Tag, Hero defense, FPS View, Third Person view, Terraining... everything

All triggered and commented to the extreme so it's impossible to mess up, I'll even throw in some custom spells to blow people's minds away. On top of all that, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM will be playable so you can see how they really work and what they end up looking like... I think making them playable online is sort of pointless though.

Everything and it's mom will be in here all nicely tutorialized so whenever someone asks a question I've already answered 10 million times I'll simply say: "Blah/Blah/Blah/GodMightHaveMadeThis.w3x"

So--Who has something they want in this map so we can make sure it doesn't have to be answered again.

Right now I'll put in:

Tower Defense (Custom towers, Custom units)
Aeon of Strife (Custom hero, Custom spells)
First Person View Hunting (Camera + firing)
Third Person View Racing (Camera + Pickup Items)
Terraining (Movie/Cinematics)

Ironically that bascially covers 75% of the things I see asked here :p. I'll get started soon and work on it over the next month or so, hopefully it'll be out around new years.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Hmm, this is a good idea, I'll make some random things, like a tag or whatnot, could I also do either the AoS or the TD? Starting work on Tag now.

T

Transmuted

:( And, being a new member, I “hate” asking questions that may already be answered on the forum somewhere. But even the search option is not all that useful. Thus, if the answer I’m looking for is not in easy, current date reach…I have to ask it in a new thread >,<

Tutorials and such help, but with so many specific questions to ask…all you can do is cover the commonly asked questions, which is your goal I’m assuming. :confused:

My idea is to make a map that has everything, a little tower defense, some AoS, CTF, Tag, Hero defense, FPS View, Third Person view, Terraining... everything

Hrmm, none of which seem to have the map I’m working on, hopefully campaign/RPG type map will fall into “everything” category. :rolleyes:

My advise however, “don’t” try to tackle everything on your own. With so many trigger and map configuring options…it seems like you’d tire your self out before reaching your insanely crazy goal. So try to get some people to help add to your idea. Such as making a topic of topics to answer every type of basic/complex trigger commonly or not so commonly used and add it to the topic…

Lol, wait, isn’t this why people make forums/FAQs/Tutorials in the first place?! :eek: (To pile a lot of information into one organized document/site for others to learn what they need.)

M

metallic_boy

To be honest this sounds like a lot of work to solve very little. there will still be 90% of questions still asked, and the map will take ages to make. Well it's your time, but I wouldnt be bothered.

Nonetheless, the fact it would take ages doesnt matter. Im sure thatd be fun to play too. thats the important part!

perhaps also include some template heroes and items. ppl always open threads like...
Need Item ideas help...
Need a holy item idea...
Need a good name for a hero that does such and such...
Whats another good skill for my new monkey hero?
etc. etc. etc.

Wait! i guess thatd be included in the AoS part, ah well! that was a waste of time!

Also, as stated above, include sound. Seriously, its so damn commonly asked.

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
Include links the the "Triple Kill" and all those things under sound, because theres quite a few of them.

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
asking questions is the point of this forum, but good luck anyway :D

T

ThE-eNiGmA

My problem is mainly that people don't even bother to LOOK. They ask where the tutorial site is, when there is a link to it on the side of the page. And then there are all the duplicate questions...which really could have been answered by the search function, even if you complain about it's uselessness. Bounty is one of the biggest dupes, I saw one on here yesterday...and the day before that...and so on. And the answer is so simple they could have found it the way I did (looking through the GUI triggers.) So many people don't even bother to familiarize themselves with the editor layout.

Rad

Reaction score
I suggest you use a few of the good features that you dont really need but makes it WAY easier when you understand them. This includes loops, arrays, unit custom values/point values... A tree regrow system is also nice feature. Its all basic but included in a single map would be nice.

Make sure you have comments all through it so its easy to understand.

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
what makes u think that if a person that doesnt bother to use search function for an answer, will be able to find your map? 90% chance they are a guest or JUST signed up only for that one question, no way in hell there gonna know to dl your map and they might not even know the search function exists at that point.

T

ThE-eNiGmA

If they are serious about wanting to map, then they should be prepared to invest the time to research. I did...

W

what666said

It's worth making to help people out who are willing to look for it.

Bartuc08

Reaction score
i wanted to make map to but i only got on here (at first for one question) back when my guest name was crazy yeti or sumthing

Rad

Reaction score
ThE-eNiGmA said:
If they are serious about wanting to map, then they should be prepared to invest the time to research. I did...

If you havent noticed alot of the guests or members 'awaiting email confirmation' seem to be... well... very young. Common typos and lack of information. Someone who types like that probrably isnt very good with the computer so they wont even think to search. Im sure many people do though, not everyone is like that. When I first came here I helped people and only asked a few questions ;)

mixmax2

RedArmyGangsta
Reaction score
when i first got here, i dint read the rules(double posted, all that) didnt know a search function existed, and didnt want to search through 300 threads to find an answer(didnt know search existed), so i did the easiest thing(what most new comers do), i created a thread.

W

what666said

That's the point behind all of this -- create a single link that people can point to when someone asks a question that's easily answered by reading through some of the stuff I include in this map.

It's all really simple and layed out, almost step-by-step (atleast for the TD so far). Talking about which, the TD section is done except for polishing over for the actual release (I'll polish everything later on). The AoS comes next!

Bartuc08

Reaction score
Rad said:
If you havent noticed alot of the guests or members 'awaiting email confirmation' seem to be... well... very young. Common typos and lack of information. Someone who types like that probrably isnt very good with the computer so they wont even think to search. Im sure many people do though, not everyone is like that. When I first came here I helped people and only asked a few questions ;)

hey mt typing sucks ass but im still pretty good with the computer

W

what666said

Little update on the situation, I have 3 projects so I won't work on this more until next thursday or so... but meanwhile the Tag, Tower Defense, and RPG are done, done, and in the works (respectively).

Cloak_Master

Reaction score
what666said said:
That's the point behind all of this -- create a single link that people can point to when someone asks a question that's easily answered by reading through some of the stuff I include in this map.

I think that this is a waste of your time, if the question is easily answered why not just answer it tailored to the fashion the person is asking it in. Besides, people like to help other people themselves, it's just in human nature. Also, if they pointed to a link would they deserve rep points? Definately not, they did nothing, but random people could still get rep by just posting a link. I don't know, it just seems like the downfall of the help section as we know it, but I could be wrong. That's just my perspective, take it however you wish to take it.

W

what666said

Cloak_Master said:
I think that this is a waste of your time, if the question is easily answered why not just answer it tailored to the fashion the person is asking it in. Besides, people like to help other people themselves, it's just in human nature. Also, if they pointed to a link would they deserve rep points? Definately not, they did nothing, but random people could still get rep by just posting a link. I don't know, it just seems like the downfall of the help section as we know it, but I could be wrong. That's just my perspective, take it however you wish to take it.

You have a point there and I'll probably let this map sit and add to it here and there when I'm not working on other things (it's sort of nice to be able to randomly jump between the mini-projects inside of the map). It could be useful though eventually.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    So what it really is me trying to implement some kind of better site navigation not change the whole theme of the site
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.