Rabarber's list of FPSes to look forward to

Rabarber

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
A list of all games of importance to look forward to in the upcoming year. If you feel that one or more games have been left out, tell me. Also note that they're not in any particular order.

Half-Life 2: The Orange Box - 10th October -07
For platforms: PC, XB360, PS3
The next episode of one of the best FPS series ever, plus the mind-boggling Portal and Team Fortress 2. The Orange Box will also be bundled together with Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode One, the original game and the first new episode. For the console owners this won't be a problem, since the games haven't been released for them yet, but computer users that do not wish to own two copies of HL2 and EP1 will have to buy it over Steam.

Pictures:
TF2_Screen03.jpg

HL2ep2_screen03.jpg

Portal_Screen07.jpg

Crysis - 15/16th November -07
For platforms: PC (XP and Vista), possible XB360 and PS3 release later
The spiritual successor of Far Cry, jungle shooter #1 of 2004 (which couldn't be named Far Cry 2 since Ubisoft owns that trademark), Crysis does fighting against North Korean soldiers (and later aliens) set in 2019. Notable for it's beutiful graphics and easy-to-use level editor, Crysis also has lifelike AI (I am starting to sound like a press agent here).
Pictures:
crysis_esp1.jpg

Crysis.jpg

Far Cry 2 - Q2 2008
For platforms: PC only (so far)
Ubisoft owns the actual rights to the game name Far Cry, and in the middle of 2007 it was announced that they were working on the "real" successor. Moves away from the jungles Crytek do so well and is set in Africa, with fluid night/day environments and fully simulated weather (set a tree on fire and it actually burns until the wind sets the grass around the tree on fire as well, and see the fire spread until it starts raining and the fire is put out). Also has AI that reacts to the environment. Will continue on the actual Far Cry series as compared to Crysis.
Pictures:
No, actually there have been no real screenshots released for this yet. Stay tuned.

I found some nice artwork though.

That'll do.

D:

8618.jpg

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars - September 28/October 2nd -07
For platforms: PC, Mac OS X, Linux, XB360, PS3
A battlefield-like online shooter (although singleplayer will also be possible) based on the Quake 4 engine - meaning that even mediocre computers will be able to run it. With the Id Tech 4 (Quake IV) engine, however, technical limitations follow, and the game will not look as stunning as Crysis. Strogg and human forces fight out on big maps, with several classes to choose from and objectives to reach. Can't be too bad.
Pictures:
etqw.jpg

What could and should have been in here:
Bioshock - Takes the fight with Half-Life 2 as the best shooter ever, but has already been released and as such wouldn't fit in this list.
Spore - Extremely original but has been delayed. Delayed a lot. And it isn't a FPS.

Stay tuned for my list of RTSes to look forward to. I'll write it some day. D:

Reaction score
Rabarber is absolutely wrong here :p, you seem to have forgotten Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.

Rabarber

Reaction score
Metroid Prime 3 is Wii only.

And before people start yelling about how Halo 3 isn't on this list, it's simple - It's XB360 only and I don't support Microsoft.

At least not that much.

Not much.

Reaction score
So.. You list only the FPS's what are for many consoles? Because I was just wondering why MP3 isn't there as it's the most "waited" game this year :p

Rabarber

Reaction score
I only mention games that are for PC, if it's for more consoles than that it's great, but I would feel stupid writing about a Wii game.

Hint: I don't have a Wii.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
http://www.unrealtournament3.com/
Both legacy and some new weapons and gameplay, sexy graphics, this has the potential to be one kickass game :)
But you never know, they can always put something lame and ruin it.

Rabarber

Reaction score
Two games I forgot about would be UT3 and Left 4 Dead. I may add them in some later list (Rabarber's list of all games to look forward to?).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.