Race to the Finish

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
Well, this didn't start out as a project, but it's ending up as one. It was originally intended to be a demo map for elevators and switches, but now it's become a fun little minigame map that also will be used as a demo map. If anyone has ant comments and/or questions then please post them here. Basically, the title describes it. It is a race to the finish. Here is how it works:

- Break out of a cage.
- Make your way across elevator traps. (If you step on the wrong elevator, it falls for 6 seconds.)
- Cross the elevator maze. (Get to the other side of a pit via moving elevators.)
- Cross the water bridge. (Make several trips across until the whole bridge is raised.)
- Go up the last elevator and push a switch.
- Go back to the beginning.

It's basically a demo map, but it's playable and I think it's rather fun. Not really a big project, just for my tutorial, but I thought I'd put it here.

Download it and/or view its tutorial at http://www.world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/elevators.php. THe link for the map is at the bottom of the page.

SilverHawk

Reaction score
8/10

Alexander said:
I just got done testing this, so I wanted to tell you all a little about it

It's not a huge map, it took me like 2 seconds to download. Doesn't lag a second! However, it's still really fun. Games are faster, since it IS a race, but it can be very frustrating *Glares at that DAMN dropping elevator part! *

It also shows the use of elevators. So, I'd give the map a 8/10 (Make it a bit better to look at, and maybe a little longer, and I'll up that to a 10!)

Good job, Silver!

This is copied from the other thread. I didn't rate my own map. :p

SilverHawk

Reaction score
Not yet. However, I will be testing it every now and then, so I will let you know when and if I decide to test if you would like.

Shadowy Fear

I have returned
Reaction score
Just curious, but could you expand and add on to this map to have a few different levels, or at least a 'retry' feature? :p :D It sounds pretty fun :shades:
Btw, I can test whenever you want, as school is pretty much over and aI have no homework :D

SilverHawk

Reaction score
I probably won't add extra levels, but extra obstacles or a retry feature are a possibility. Feel free to suggest any extra obstacles or puzzles that use elevators and/or switches.

G

guyneedhelp

hey

im really anxious to see the elevator tutorial...can u plz post it w/ no protection...it would help me very much...plz hurry up with that...but no rush...thx!

Shadowy Fear

I have returned
Reaction score
ROFLMFAO :p :D

Lolol, I think protecting a tutorial map would defeat the point of MAKING it in the first place LOL :p :D (not to be mean :p). It wouldn't be a very good tutorial map if all we could do was play a simple race game :p

Extra Puzzles:

Schooner Slaloom: you step on an already pressed down button and get control of a small boat. There is a narrow waterway, with elevators (and possibly sharks/piranhas) underneath the water. The elevators, which are scaled to fit in the channel, will rise up randomly, one level at a time, from deep water to shallow water to the surface. When they are at deep water, you can't see them. When they are in the shallow water, you can see them, but they don't hurt you. When they rise up to the surface, they will take any small boats with them, crushing the boat and making you start over. You must maneavuer your small boat through this death trap and make it to the end, where the boat will kill a small lever to open up a rolling stone door in front of where you actually are. You can have different boat lanes, if wanted, for different players.

Mad Magic: A forcefield blocks your path. To disable it, you must destroy the generators projecting it by stepping on the switches next to them. Unfortunately, these switches are guarded by towers that will kill you (and make you go back to the start of the puzzle) after a couple hits. You can step on other switches on the path to kill the generators to temporarily disable the switches. Once all of the generators are dead, you can run through the deactivated force field, press a switch (to activate the elevator), then run onto the elevator and go to the next level. Everybody who doesn't get onto the elevator must get up the ledge via a longer detour.

Perilous Elements: (could be between two people, in a parallel [UNIVERSE] room, as a final challenge or tiebreaker) You enter a large room, decorated with a ton of different statues from all the races lined up against the walls, and a couple different colored switches. It is impossible to get across the room without touching a few switches. When you touch one, it activates a trap based on its color in another area. For example, stepping on a bluish-whitish switch might cause a statue to breath ice onto an area, freezing all in that area temporarily. A greenish switch might entangle the person stepping on the switch, or a random person in the room. A red one will cause a burst of flames to scorch the units in a small area, slowing them down by quite a lot.

Boulder Dash: You see a very large gate (thats invulnearable) at the end of a 'valley' of sorts. Several smaller valleys feed onto the main valley (like a primary river and its tributaries), and have caves at the ends of them. A boulder will periodically roll out of all of the caves and head towards the main valley, and then towards the gate if they get to the valley. To proceed, you must break open the gate, and to do that, you must direct a boulder into each side of it, and then the center The problem is that several boulder traps kill or reroute the boulders before they can get to the gate.

Sub-Valley 1: A river runs between the primary valley and the cave where the boulder spawns. A footbridge allows you to cross, but the boulder falls in and breaks/rolls away. You must go to the bridge and step on a small switch on all 4 corners of it to raise it (could be elevator too). This will cause a boulder to roll out of the cave, over the bridge, down the main valley, and into the left side of the giant gate; the gate will have a big chunk of its life taken away. No more boulders will spawn from this valley.

Sub-Valley 2: A boulder will roll out of a cave, and then be destroyed by a mine cart running across a mine track in front of the path of the boulder. You need to go across a moving elevator maze (one row only, along side of valley) and progress upward to a lever; strike the lever, and the mine tracks will be switched, the mine cart will travel along a different route, and a boulder will succesfully roll out of the valley, down into the main valley, and hit the right side of the gate. The gate will have another huge chunk of its hp taken away, and no boulders will spawn here.

Sub-Valley 3: *yawn* I'm tired, and not even sure if anybody will understand this, so tell me what you think of the first part(s) and I'll add this in later :>)

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Mad Stairway: There is a line of elevators in front of you, each with a button in front of it, and a cliff behind them, with a ledge on top that you have to get to. You walk foward and step on a button, and the elevator in front of it goes up, but so do a few others, and some go down! you must figure out the puzzle to make a staircase so you can reach the top!

Target Practice: You approach an elevator in a shaft, and go on it. When you do, it moves up a little, then stops. In the clearing in front of you, there are some targets, and a bow/gun that you pick up and shoot at the targets with. After you hit them all the elevator goes up again, and you see more targets, but this time they move sligtly. The farther and farther you go up the targets get faster and faster, moving randomly near the end.

Catapult: You see a catapult on a ledge, and some moving platforms floating near it. You man the catapult, adjusting the angle, tension and facing of it. After a few shots at the platforms, they start to move towards you! When you hit one it moves back some, but still moves foward. You must keep the platforms at bay as long as you can!

Vengeful Ceiling: You enter a large room, and see the exit at the end! But as you take a step, you see a shadow in fromt of you and step back. Moments later a large stone slams into the ground where the shadow was! A moment more and it is back in the ceiling, threataning to fall again. You must make it to the other side of the room alive!

Ugly Duckling: There is a large formation of platforms in front of you, and they all look identical. But after looking harder, you see that one is slightly higher that the others! You step on it, and it goes down with the others, but another one comes up! After a few repeats it gets harder, as the platform goes up by smaller amounts, other platforms fall a little and and bushes and rubble creep up through the cracks, making it hard to tell them apart.

Jindo

Self
Reaction score
10/10

SilverHawk said:
Well, this didn't start out as a project, but it's ending up as one. It was originally intended to be a demo map for elevators and switches, but now it's become a fun little minigame map that also will be used as a demo map. If anyone has ant comments and/or questions then please post them here. Basically, the title describes it. It is a race to the finish. Here is how it works:

- Break out of a cage.
- Make your way across elevator traps. (If you step on the wrong elevator, it falls for 6 seconds.)
- Cross the elevator maze. (Get to the other side of a pit via moving elevators.)
- Cross the water bridge. (Make several trips across until the whole bridge is raised.)
- Go up the last elevator and push a switch.
- Go back to the beginning.

It's basically a demo map, but it's playable and I think it's rather fun. Not really a big project, just for my tutorial, but I thought I'd put it here.

I played it from the elevator switches tutorial, it was fun :D

10/10 Good Job Silver!

PS:

Something where all the elevators are high up and whenever you get off of one, it goes down a level.

This would be tricky and you could easily get stuck :p

~Jindo

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.