RAM Problem

hobo218

Meh
Reaction score
Ok, so my friend just recently got a new custom computer that he put together himself. He bought 4GB of RAM (4x1GB sticks). Under his BIOS, it correctly reads that he has 4GB. When he goes through Windows, it says that he only has 2.5GBs, and then on CPU-Z, it reads that he only has 2GB. Under task manager, it reads that he has 2.5GBs.

Any ideas on why this is going on?
Help would be apriciated.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
That means your motherboard or something on your computer only supports 2.5gb, and that one program rounds it.

Most only support ~2gb of RAM, and there really is no need for 4gb of RAM.

Rad

Reaction score
I think windows xp only supports 2 GB of RAM. Read this article: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

So you need to upgrade to Windows Vista 32 bit or 64 bit to get the most of of your RAM. Windows Vista 64 bit supports more RAM than vista 32bit.

Is it the same scenario for XP64?

I get a free copy being in a tech program at the college and my computer is 64bit-ready with AMD athlon64 and such

Speaking of which, would it be worth an upgrade? Reformatting is not a problem for me.. I do it too often everything is recoverable....

Vulcansurge

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I think windows xp only supports 2 GB of RAM. Read this article: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

So you need to upgrade to Windows Vista 32 bit or 64 bit to get the most of of your RAM. Windows Vista 64 bit supports more RAM than vista 32bit.

This is only talking about the memory paging file I think... This is created when you dont have enough RAM, and Windows uses part of your hard drive. Keep the size of this file to a minimum...

As for the main problem, post us the model of his motherboard. We can tell you everything you need to know that way.

hobo218

Meh
Reaction score
He has the nVidia 680i.
Maximum supported is 8GB on that board.

Though to oninuva, yes, there is a limit.

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
You guys are getting all sorts of confusing.

Windows xp pro 32bit supports up to 4GB of RAM. Now, due to other pieces of hardware taking some of these addresses it should be around 3.5-3.7GB that you see as usable. The main problem at hand is therefore unanswerable at the time being.

Windows XP pro 64bit / Windows Vista 64bit supports up to 128GB of RAM.

Hobo, i would try to put the page file somewhere around 4-5GB, make sure the hard-drive has the room for this. General rule of thumb is 1.5x actual RAM, but obviously it's not all being used.

The only thing that i can think of is that the motherboard or CPU does not support over 2GB or 2.5GB.

hobo218

Meh
Reaction score
Hmm. Well I'll show him this thread again so he can go through it.
And I'm pretty sure he has a Core 2 Duo 6600 for his CPU, so I would think that that would support more than 2/2.5GB's.

Vulcansurge

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Its not the processor. Its the motherboard. Find out what type it is, and we'll tell you what the problem is.

hobo218

Meh
Reaction score
The only thing that i can think of is that the motherboard or CPU does not support over 2GB or 2.5GB.

Its not the processor. Its the motherboard. Find out what type it is, and we'll tell you what the problem is.

If you had read, I had already told you what kind of motherboard he had. And if you see what Dtere posted, he was talking about the CPU as well, so I provided that.

Vulcansurge

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Sorry hobo218. Whenever I skim over the word nVidia I assume its the graphics card... The Chipset is a pretty good one i must say. Congratulate your friend.

Went to the website and found this. Not the same problem but read it first.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/680i_hotfix.html

Now to the RAM Problem. You might need to check out these links. I'll add more as i find more out. On the webiste, if you get a chance to check it out, there is a .pdf file with ALL the compatability for the motherboard.

Here is a link to the RAM supported aswell.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nForce_memory_compatibility.html

Master

Thou shall be helped by...The Black Adder!
Reaction score
Core 2 Duo 6600 does support over 2.5 GB.
But the point is not there.
Your nVidia 680i is. So:
Does this help you?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.