Tutorial Raw Data

Terrabull

Veteran Member (Done that)
Reaction score
There were errors in the last tutorial that were never fixed, namely this paragraph.

For example, the <hwat,mindmg1> - <hwat,maxdmg1> rawdata shows up the in-game attack damage of the unit w/ the unitID hwat (Water Elemental (Level 1). mindmg is the minimum damage while maxdmg is the maximum damage. The numbers next to mindmg and maxdmg are the Attack Indexes. The rawdata above show the attack damage in Attack 1. Now if I use <hfoo,mindmg1> - <hfoo,maxdmg1>, then this shows the attack damage of the Footman in attack 1.

There is another one, The RealHP syntax. It's used like this: <hfoo,realHP> (it shows the Footman's Max HP).

Which only works for the original units. Even after the tutorial was shown to have mistakes, no changes were made to it, so they probably assumed you had given up.

AceHeart listed a lot of issues in the last thread, and Tom_Kazansky listed some more. If the tutorial was not approved, try to think of new things to add to it, instead of just bumping the thread.

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
Which only works for the original units.

Well I written that idea for this thread. I don't know what you mean here but it can work for any unit, even for custom ones.

If you are using this rawdata syntax in Hero Abilities that summon units then just change the UnitID(e.g. hfoo, n000) for each level. Just take a look at tooltips of certain Blizzard abilities such as Water Elemental and Summon Misha and you'll get my point.

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
Isn't it true that you can enable a function in NewGen to make new object editor objects (units, abilities, etc.) have their own unit IDs? I've just been curious about this, because whenever I try to make a custom unit, NewGen gives me this box with a unit ID in it :nuts:

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
That lets you set the ID to something else Knight, but in the default editor, it sets it to the next avaliable ID.

Terrabull

Veteran Member (Done that)
Reaction score
Well I written that idea for this thread. I don't know what you mean here but it can work for any unit, even for custom ones.

If you are using this rawdata syntax in Hero Abilities that summon units then just change the UnitID(e.g. hfoo, n000) for each level. Just take a look at tooltips of certain Blizzard abilities such as Water Elemental and Summon Misha and you'll get my point.

No it cannot! That is why that section is misleading. If you use "mindmg" or "maxdmg" on a custom unit you will get the value that is programmed for the unit you are basing your unit off of. You will NOT get the value for your custom unit. I tried for hours to get it to work that way based on this tutorial, only to find out that it was impossible, even AceHeart couldn't get it to work.
See this thread: http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81201

If the tutorial isn't approved, there is a reason behind it. If you don't make changes to it, it will be graveyarded. There have been many many suggestions for this tutorial that have not been headed.

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
Well then stop whining and I'll make an explanyshun. I thought at first it would work, but only it would work for default unedited blizzard abilities and many got decieved even my fellow denmax.

mindmg and maxdmg, no matter what attack index besides it and no matter which unit, will go insane and will still show the same value as of the default unit even when I set the damage base of Misha to 888 it still shows the same damage as before (22 -39+ or somethin'). This applies for custom units. In other words, it's useless.Another weird Blizzard bug that I forgot to read in a Blizz WE Bug List thread in Wc3c.. Damn right, it doesn't work.:banghead:

Better remove the mindmg and maxdmg topics in your tut and make a FAQ. Good thing the syntax realHP can work for any unit!! But where there's a loss there's also a gain..

Oninuva, I think it's a good idea that you make a FAQ for your tutorial or simply showing them the don'ts of raw data usage, it's a good way to let readers know the pitfalls of raw data syntax usage. (first revise it then add it to your tutorial)

1)Does mindmg and maxdmg work?
mindmg and maxdmg, no matter what attack index used and no matter which unit is referred to, will still show the same value as of the default unit even when you set the damage base/dice of some unit to a different value it will show the default attack damage of the referred unit. This applies for custom units. In other words, it's useless for customs and it doesn't work.

2) What happens if I associate a rawdata syntax w/ a string value?
When a rawdata syntax in an Ability is associated w/ a certain field of an ability that contains a string/boolean value (or any other non-data value), then the value will return to 0. An example of this mistake is <A000,Name> or <A000,Researchtip>. In-game, these syntax show up 0 instead of the text contained in the referred fields. Plus you can only associate numeric values in the Stats and Data categories of an ability I think. Even though you use <A000,Missilespeed> it will still return to 0, even if Art - Missile Speed is an integer field.

Sorry for the long reply. Anyways Terrabull thanks for pointing that bug out, why did blizzard make stuff like this in WE.

Kenoriga

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
} #28 jonadrian619
Lol.
In Bomber Command, Blizzard set the damages and stuff manually without using raw data.
Sad... To think I could have a shortcut.
Ugh.

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
Graveyarded again, Oninuva :thdown:
It looks like jonadrian619 is writing this tutorial, not you :thdown:

Oninuva

Reaction score
Screw it, if the people here don't like my tutorials, there are other communities that like them.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
14 years later people are still looking at this thread via Google. I have no idea where the other thread this is supposed to be a duplicate of because the only link to it was in the old forum and that link was broken. So glad this is here because it is obviously still helping!

jonas

Reaction score
I remember Oninuva used to be quite active on the forum, but I completely missed this episode of TH drama back in the day. There were so many episodes lol!

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
This was bumped because people are still finding this thread on the search engines. It does not matter if it is in Tutorials or in the Graveyard if Google likes it then people are going to continue to see it. I hope it helps! All the drama is long gone but cool little snapshot of the site at that time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.