Tutorial Raw Data

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Raw Data Tutorial
Written By: Oninuva

Raw Data is used in Tool tips and Jass (AbilityID). Raw Data pulls information from a specific object and puts it into text or numerical digits for tooltips. This tutorial will teach you how to use Raw Data in tool tips and also explain what they are. It will not teach you how to use Jass or how using them in Jass is useful for Tooltips because: 1. You can change values without going back to change tooltips, 2. It’s clean and easy to make multi-level tooltips quickly and 3. It is precisely the value of the data.

Raw Data is displayed as this:
<Obj#;ObjType,ObjData>

Obj# is the number of the object if it is a custom one. (copy paste, new object, etc)
ObjType is the type of object if it is the original, or if it is a copy; what object it was based on.
ObjData is the field to take Data from. (Most abilities DataA1 = Damage)

A Mountain King’s storm bolt ability tool tip would be:
<A000:AHtb,dataA1> In a tool tip it would look like: 100

The Blizzard version of this skill would be:

<AHtb:dataA1>

Notice it does not have A000 because it is the original version of the skill.

Note: All custom skills will have an Obj #

Now to actually view the Raw Data you will need to open up world editor and hit Ctrl + D or go to View > Display Values as Raw Data (Ctrl+D). This will change all your object names and data to values that might look confusing to you.

rawdata001ej4.jpg

Take a closer look at them and you will notice this:

rawdata002pz6.jpg

The original Blizzard skills only have the ObjType but no Obj#. The Raw Data can be used in a tool tip and is global, meaning you can have data from other skills show up on another.

There are a few data fields that require only the Obj# which are buffs, effects, and related fields.

In Hero Abilities, there is a 'Learn' tooltip (or Researchtip) provided only to Hero abilities. Like for example, 'Learn |cffffcc00D|rivine Shield - [|cffffcc00Level %d|r]'.

The [|cffffcc00Level %d|r] shows the next level of the ability if you learn the ability. %d shows up the next level of the hero ability. This syntax can only be used in the Researchtip field of the hero ability.

In some abilities, particularly abilities which summon units (e.g. Summon Misha) there is syntax for showing damage and health of units. This is best used in summoning abilities.

For example, the <hwat,mindmg1> - <hwat,maxdmg1> rawdata shows up the in-game attack damage of the unit w/ the unitID hwat (Water Elemental (Level 1). mindmg is the minimum damage while maxdmg is the maximum damage. The numbers next to mindmg and maxdmg are the Attack Indexes. The rawdata above show the attack damage in Attack 1. Now if I use <hfoo,mindmg1> - <hfoo,maxdmg1>, then this shows the attack damage of the Footman in attack 1.

There is another one, The RealHP syntax. It's used like this: <hfoo,realHP> (it shows the Footman's Max HP).

Tips n’ Tricks

- When creating tool tips with multiple ranks use the Auto Fill Level feature. If you are using Raw Data in the tool tip it will auto change them to the specific level of the object. Ex: <AHtb:dataA1> will change to <AHtb:dataA2> on the second level of the object using auto fill level feature.
- Often times when tool tips may seem bugged or not working it is because you need a space in front and behind the <>.
- Letters that are often missed when looking at Object# and ObjectType are L and I lower cased and also 1, I, and l.
- The Level of the ability or upgrade a Raw Data tooltip function is pulling from is determined by the 1 in <AHtb:dataA1>, that will show the level one damage of storm bolt. If you change the 1 to 2 it will show the level 2 damage.
- If your feeling happy then post a comment.
- Use auto fill so you can create the first rank of a ability or upgrade and it will fill in all ranks with correct versions of the Raw Data format.

Notes:
- Raw Data does not count toward the tool tip letter limit.
- Raw Data cannot be used in trigger functions such as: "Display to Players" and "Create Floating Text"

Oninuva

Reaction score
It's fixed. Also nobody looks at graveyard to approve and nobody told me what to fix. So I improved it.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Apart from
Use auto fill so you can create the first rank of a ability or upgrade and it will fill in all ranks with correct versions of the Raw Data format
and a few slight differences in the opening, I see no difference between this and the one AceHart to.

Please elaborate on what the improvement was, I don't see it

Tom_Kazansky

--- wraith it ! ---
Reaction score
@Oninuva
<A000:AHtb,dataA1> In a tool tip it would look like: 100
only need:
<A000,dataA1> In a tool tip it would look like: 100
And I think you missed some things, I just know one:
<A000,dataA1,%> In a tool tip it would look like: 10000
With the ,%, value of dataA1 will be multiplied by 100

Tell me why this is not approved then..?

I think because this isn't good enough.

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
Well there's nothing wrong in your tutorial, but it's a copy of the previous Raw Data Tutorial (the one I read in the graveyard), so maybe they won't approve it, unless significant improvements have been made for this tut.

Here are 2 additional samples that I made for your tutorial (to make it better) and if you like to put it in your tut, then try to revise it add it to yours and +rep me if you want (I don't like this thing g'yarded again).

In Hero Abilities, there is a 'Learn' tooltip (or Researchtip) provided only to Hero abilities. Like for example, 'Learn |cffffcc00D|rivine Shield - [|cffffcc00Level %d|r]'.

The [|cffffcc00Level %d|r] rawdata shows the next level of the ability if you learn the ability. %d shows up the next level of the hero ability. This rawdata can only be used in the Researchtip field of the hero ability.

In some abilities, particularly abilities which summon units (e.g. Summon Misha) there are special raw data i think.

For example, the <hwat,mindmg1> - <hwat,maxdmg1> rawdata shows up the in-game attack damage of the unit w/ the rawdata hwat (Water Elemental (Level 1). mindmg is the minimum damage while maxdmg is the maximum damage. The numbers next to mindmg and maxdmg are the Attack Indexes. The rawdata above show the attack damage in Attack 1. Now if I use <hfoo,mindmg1> - <hfoo,maxdmg1>, then this shows the attack damage of the Footman in attack 1.

There is another one, The RealHP raw data. It's used like this: <hfoo,realHP> (it shows the Footman's Max HP).

I feel happy:D

Lastly this tutorial is helpful for making tooltip edits in Object Editor.:thup:

Oninuva

Reaction score
Hmm, I'll see what I can do.

But there seems to be a mis-understanding. The previous tutorial that is in the current graveyard is written by me. I copied it because I wrote it. =_=

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
Well, the Graveyard forum description says:
Old, unapproved submissions that didn't receive any updates in a long time will end up here. If the creator does come back and update this resource at some point then his submission will be brought back and possibly approved.

Maybe if you should've updated the graveyarded Raw Data tutorial then it could possibly be resurrected and approved. But I don't really know if you have created a tutorial thats similar to other tuts or just created another tutorial similar to the graveyarded tutorial you've written, what would happen? Yeah you wrote it, but as said above. Even my cursor tutorial wasnt approved because there was another tutorial like it, yet the content of the other tut seems half a world apart from mine. Don't really know why? But try improving the tutorial and see what happens..

Kenoriga

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Give us some screenshots of the custom tooltips in the World Editor and in Warcraft?

Oninuva

Reaction score
You must be blind if cannot see the screenshots in the first post.

Jonadrian, there are no tutorials on Raw Data.. I checked when I first wrote this.

Oninuva

Reaction score
Why, there is nothing to look at from Raw Data besides text. It's the same as typing it in the quick reply box and looking at it..

Kenoriga

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
} #16 Oninuva
Was trying to give ideas on how to "enrich" the tut. It helped me certainly, because I did not know how to use Raw Data in custom spells.

Perhaps you could show an example of the usage of raw data in the tooltips, and also the final product shown in Warcraft.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see whats wrong with this. But there must've been a reason it was graveyarded. So, don't you think that It's a bit pointless to just copy the tutorial, and submit it exactly as it was. It'll just be graveyarded again.

Oninuva

Reaction score
No, as I said before. I changed it. Also nobody ever said Why it was graveyarded in old thread either.

jonadrian619

-___-
Reaction score
Try adding in-game tooltip screenshots which use rawdata from the WE(as Kenoriga said, the final product of rawdata text shown in Warcraft III.)

Also nobody ever said Why it was graveyarded in old thread either.
I'll try to recap on some TH.net history, well at the time where the new Tutorial Repository was revamped (Amfidamant's Tutorial index you remember before, and at that time the Tutorials and Resources subforum was added I think), some tutorials were graveyarded, including my Gamecache tutorial, ayumilove's huge tuts, others and your old tutorials, and some other tutorials I saw in the old index were graveyarded. The lucky ones in the index were put in the Repository. That's a moment in TH.net history (wc3search was still alive).

Anyways try further improving the tutorial, do as said above, and it will be far different than the other tutorial and it will either be retained in the main forum(most of them ignored) or moved/approved to the Tutorial Repository. Try and try until you succeed.

If that doesn't work, I'll do more research in Rawdata and explore the possibilities.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.