Reality is pointless and life is a curse

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
This isn't meant to be a debate but more of a discussion. I saw it as an open discussion on every site. Furthermore, it seemed that virtually everyone answered in the same fashion that life was indeed pointless. We're not arguing, we're just sharing what we think and why. There's no real right answer to this as this can't be proven given our scope of reality.

This also contains my standing obviously ; D

This is what I believe to be true. To me, people who don't find life to be pointless are delusional ; ).

Why is reality pointless?
It just happened to happen and there's no end meaning to it, nothing of benefit, or anything. Everything just happens to exist. I'm sure that with more evidence, the idea that reality is pointless will become more apparent. As always, there is a slim chance that reality isn't pointless, that's not probable when looking at elements of our current environment. We can look at how the universe operates to get a probable understanding of reality.

Why is life a curse?
Living a meaningless life is a waste of time. Doing anything is a waste of time. Because of this, I'm personally irritated every second of the day. I'm also disgusted by everything because it is just so messed up. I'm upset that there's nothing I can do to fix it. There is no solution to solving this pointlessness as any solution would result in a static environment, which would inhibit progress, thus making it flawed. Any dynamic environment means that all things within that dynamic environment lead pointless existences and that the dynamic environment will collapse under entropy, meaning it was pointless anyways. So because everything we do is a waste of time, life is a curse as all we can do are meaningless and pointless things, which causes irritation. Personally, I'd rather just die and get out of this bullshit, but all of these delusional people around me would be upset, which to me is more bullshit.

"Whether you accept it or not humans and all forms of life are machines to confront and deal with the infinite problems the universe throws in our paths. Our consciousness places each of us at the center of our universe just as visually all objects decrease in size from each one of our points of view. Thus we get to assume that the universe has us as its target when we are merely embedded in all sorts of general changes. If you start to take the universe and its callous changes personally you get involved with religious nonsenses of a controlling malevolent God or some other sort of paranoia. It helps to stabilize our attitudes and give some mental peace to understand the universe cares no way either for or against us and we must make the best of whatever is neutrally thrown at us."

-Sand
-http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf68689-0-105.html

It is apparent to me that humanity started out in the initial way of thinking that life was pointless and we were just along for the ride. Look at the old Circle of Life.

From here, many humans tried to find a purpose to life as they just couldn't deal with it. People tried to explain the universe, tried to make themselves believe that when they died they would continue to exist and have a purpose and be happy... also people tried to keep others inline.

Well, all of these factors led to many delusional members of humanity. As technology and thinking progresses, there are less and less religious people and more and more people who come to think in the original terms that life is pointless. Most people don't find life as a curse. I only find life as a curse because I can't stand wasting my time and I'm irritated by illogical things. The mere act of living is illogical to me -.-... you go through all of this trouble and for what? Nothing.

I imagine that one final outcome of humanity might be mass suicide = D, or by some radicals, mass destruction of all of reality to fix it, lol. Remember, some people destroy things rather than trying to find a solution to it : P. Again, look at causality. As technology progresses, more and more people find life to be pointless. More and more people become depressed on being shocked out of their delusional state brought on by whatever religion they might have been following. More people become suicidal and even try to kill themselves (many don't because of the bullshit I described above).

effect: progress in technology and thinking
cause: shock and suicidal tendancies
outcome: mass suicides and much smaller populace

Furthermore, I think, entirely from logic, that determinism is the one true way of all things and that free will and chance are illusions.

http://www.informationphilosopher.com/freedom/determinism.html

Trollvottel

never aging title
Reaction score
Reality:
There is no actual reality, only your own reality. Let be anything thats how you want it to be.

Life:
If life was pointless it wouldnt be so much fun, because nothing thats fun is pointless. If you enjoy something it cant be pointless.

I think you shouldnt be all rational but also a bit emotional. It helps.

effect: progress in technology and thinking
cause: shock and suicidal tendancies
outcome: mass suicides and much smaller populace
only if everyone thinks like you and really thinks that it is true. i think the sense of living is itself. the way is the aim (is that even valid english?). There is so much that cannot be described with science, even today, that does not mean i am religious or something, i just think that saying that life is pointless is pointless. even if it was like that, you couldnt do anything about it, but i think you were proved wrong if you just enjoyed life a bit more. thats no thing you need money for.

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Life is a problem that must be overcome, reality is your perceived view of life.

Thats my viewing of it right now ._.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
I'm just going to jump in and say that life on earth is a curse.

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
You just sound really sad, or depressed at the moment. From times to times I get ze moodswings where I seriously question if happyness is just a temporary illusion in our pathetic little lives, but then there is always something that sooner or later cheer me up. Always look at the bright side of life man, or at least try to.

eazyduzit

Reaction score
Thats some deep stuff man. You should right a poem, entitled "My Life, a Black Abyss"

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
Here's an answer to those who believe life is pointless, if you think Life is pointless, you just haven't found your purpose yet.

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
I'm going to point out that I've never seen this discussion before and I've been on over 100,000 webpages. If you wanna believe reality is pointless and life is a curse go ahead and kill yourself while I laugh at your ignorance.

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
Actually I'm not at all depressed or anything, I'm just irritated ^_^. I'm an extremely logical person and everything I do is based on logic.

It doesn't seem like you guys are reading that quote that I put up from another thread ; D

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Actually I'm not at all depressed or anything, I'm just irritated ^_^. I'm an extremely logical person and everything I do is based on logic.

It doesn't seem like you guys are reading that quote that I put up from another thread ; D

Logic gets you nowhere! Even Spock had to change.
Even I have to be less logical.

I think you are delusional, :p
Patience, my young padawan.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score

If you were logical you'd realize that if life is pointless you should commit suicide. That's what a truly logical person would do and obviously there's something driving you from that so you can't say life is pointless.

Zakyath

Reaction score
Well, as far as I understand you have a mental disorder and are a threat to the rest of us. Obviously, one who does not value life have no fear in ending it for someone. Get some help. This isn't the right forum. This should be closed, since as far as I know thehelper.net doesn't try to help people sick of living. Besides, people are telling Nes to kill himself. C'mon!

Might as well add that I didn't read through your whole post that careful. The impression I got though was "Life isn't worth living - why live it?".

DogOfHavoc

Future Tragedy
Reaction score
Ugh I'm sick of these logical fallacies being thrown around like they were concrete facts. Where shall we begin?

1. "Meaning" and thereby "purpose" or "point" are purely human constructs. What do you define as a "point for life"? Existence is it's own ends. I love being alive. Would I know any better if I didn't exist? No, but the point is moot. Each human being defines purpose for themselves, there is no universal meaning to life.

2. Determinism. This school of thought can easily lead to misunderstanding. The concept suggests that all events and circumstances are the results of a long stream of near-endless variables. I am destined to act in a certain way at a certain time because of who I am. However, this does not mean free will does not exist. Free will is simply another variable in the near endless chain. You're confusing free will with ultimate freedom or power. They are not the same thing.

Nestharus

o-o
Reaction score
Don't attack my viewpoints or anything, I was tying to ask what everyone else's were. And by the way, all the stuff with sick etc...

>but all of these delusional people around me would be upset

I don't commit my logical conclusion out of respect towards other people's views. Furthermore, I would never be dangerous because again of my respect towards any given viewpoint, unless those viewpoints can be proven wrong. In essence, I'm too nice of a person to be cold and callous to others unless there is a logical and very concrete reason I should do so =P, so don't be calling me sick or attacking me or saying this or that, and don't be saying I'm dangerous because obviously I'm not -.-.

Let's not forget that this is all postulation... it's the most logical outcome to me, but it cannot be proven -.-.

Anyways, I'm not saying anything's wrong or anything, it's just my viewpoint and I just wanted to see what other people's viewpoints were and why. You don't need to attack mine and say I'm wrong, this isn't a debate -.-... there is no winner to this because nothing can be proven, I clearly stated this in the first post .... since people are responding to this in the totally wrong manner, I think that this thread should be closed as well.

I arrived to my conclusions with a lot of logic, and I wanted to see what other kinds of conclusions people arrived to and the logic behind those conclusions. Why? Let's just call it curiosity.

So unless people stop acting like Republican Extremists, I vote to close this.

Damnit... I spell out what I just said in this post very clearly in the first post...

This isn't meant to be a debate but more of a discussion. I saw it as an open discussion on every site. Furthermore, it seemed that virtually everyone answered in the same fashion that life was indeed pointless. We're not arguing, we're just sharing what we think and why. There's no real right answer to this as this can't be proven given our scope of reality.

This also contains my standing obviously ; D

Oh, and let me be very frank here. You guys are acting like immature children, so the truth is, this conversation might be too mature and will just result in a bunch of attacks and people taking things personally, which is the rationale to my vote to close the thread. Furthermore, someone who thinks the way I do would not be depressed... if they find things to be pointless, they wouldn't care and it would result in an extremely laid back attitude in which you either choose to die or choose to do whatever the hell you feel like doing regardless of the consequences. Another thing you can do is try to fix the problem, and to do that, you have to pretty much be an immortal.

In essence, here is how I've come to understand it. I'm happy that reality and life is all meaningless. If it had meaning it'd actually piss me off more because I don't want some bullshit circumstance dictating to me what the hell I'm supposed to do. If my meaning was predetermined, I'd be very upset. The fact is, the pointlessness leads to the concept of free will, and from there free will is synonymous with determinism. Our actions can be determined, yes, but they are still free. No, that doesn't mean randomness exists, but at the very least we are all still free and follow down an infinite regression called the future.

To me, we have no purpose and we do whatever we feel like doing. This is probably why initial tribes treated life as a gift, because you have a chance, as a self aware autonomous collective of mass, to do whatever you feel like doing in the mechanic behemoth of the universe.

I suppose finding a purpose is again pointless. To me, at this point, you do whatever you feel like doing, but reality is still pointless =), as is life, and all of this other stuff.

So I'm happy that reality is pointless, life is pointless, and we're all just happenstance (local term). Sure, our actions are already laid out with causality, but because we are insignificant, we cannot begin to determine what will happen.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread is opened again! Sure it is from 2010 but it is pretty clear to me Nestharus was just to close to the subject matter so if he wants to re-close it then he can do it :) Would love to hear input on this so post away!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.