Really Weird Conflicting Spells

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Just a quick note: Since this problem could really be anything (Triggers or object editor), I'm willing to PM my map to someone who I trust.

Anyways, onto the problem..
I have two abilities, one based off of Cold Arrows, which I had to enter my own order strings, and one based off Poison Arrows.
Now, my unit has both these spells.
The unit can cast one spell and it works fine, but then whenever the unit tries to cast the other spell, it just casts the first one still.

Honestly, I think someone will have to look at my map as a whole..
Anyone help, please?

PS: Don't be offended please if I don't trust you.

johnnymra

Reaction score
If i know correctly... there is a simple thing in the object editor. There is below the Stats... something like String ID... or so (i don't have the editor in front of me right now)... and if both spells have the same 'turn on/activate' ID then the unit will consider them to be the same one and when tries to use one.. it casts the more important one.

Sorry if i might tell something wrong but as i stated, i don't have the editor in front of me.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
The order strings are not conflicting.
Spell 1 uses: coldarrows, uncoldarrows, None, coldarrowstarg
Spell 2 uses: poisonarrows, unpoisonarrows, None, poisonarrowstarg

johnnymra

Reaction score
You said it could be anything, mentioning triggers. Are your spells triggered? because if they are... then maybe one of the triggers interferes with the other one. If not, then my best idea is to still check the spells themselves, as "d-al capo al fine" (from start to finish) and see if anything might seem odd, buffs, effects, orders, etc.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score

It's been a while since I've done any World Editor stuff, but I think you've got Base Order ID mixed up with Order String - the Base Order ID is what causes the conflicts and can only be editted on a small number of spells (e.g. Channel), and AFAIK the Order String is only really used for trigger responses

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
I played with the buffs, basing them off different spells, and now Spell 1 doesn't work at all.
It just always applies Spell 2's buff.

@Flare: Does this mean I can't use two 'arrow' spells for one unit?

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Hmm.
My cold arrows based spell didn't originally have order strings.
Only Searing Arrows, Poison Arrows, and Black Arrows seem to.

Maybe I'll try switching my spells to those three.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
I made a hero, with skills based off Searing Arrows, Cold Arrows and Black Arrows respectively. Somehow, ordering the hero to cast Black Arrow or Cold Arrows on a target still activates Searing Arrows, yet the green border appears around the chosen spell's icon. Setting any of them to autocast overrides the effect of the other two as well. Maybe it's just a bug with arrow skills.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
So you tested my idea for me, thanks :p
I think it might be just that, which sort of sucks.
I needed three abilities that were attack modifiers.
Oh well..

rexpim

Reaction score
You did copy paste of the ability 3 times?
You can't have the same base ability more that one time, in 1 hero, if you have it will cast one random ability from the 3

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
I have two abilities, one based off of Cold Arrows, which I had to enter my own order strings, and one based off Poison Arrows.
Only Searing Arrows, Poison Arrows, and Black Arrows seem to.
Maybe I'll try switching my spells to those three.
I made a hero, with skills based off Searing Arrows, Cold Arrows and Black Arrows respectively.
No, we didn't CnP the same ability ;)

Ryushi

"I will stand, or I will fall. I will not sit."
Reaction score
I believe that the abilities do indeed all have the same base Order ID. The Order ID is not changeable, so it would be impossible to use two of the abilities without them conflicting. You will need to find an alternative method.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
No, I didn't test it out for you :p. I made it myself, but it didn't quite work.

What sort of attack modifiers do you need? You could use toggled skills instead, then add on the modifiers when activated. It lets you make combinations too.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
I don't want On/Off spells or auto-cast ones, so that's out of the question unfortunately.
I just used normal spells, which isn't ideal, but it's fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.