recording calls to call centers

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
you know those companies that you need to call and check on almost every month about a bill not being what it should be or your service not being as advertised? those that whenever you call you need to listen to their "this call may be recorded for quality assurance purposes" message whenever you dial their 1800 xxx xxxx + a few more digits? I was wondering if it's legal to record the call so that I can have some sort of evidence of them saying that they will do something, but whenever I ask if I can record the call, they hang up on me - so my question is if it's legal to record the call on my end, knowing that they record it on their end, or if they are allowed to just hang up on me? as far as actually doing it it wouldn't be hard at all, I just need to change a setting, but since they always say that the call is being recorded, does that mean that I must also announce my intent? I have googled a bit but it seems to be ambiguous, with no cases going to court to prove it either way

p.s. - sorry for the rant, here's the TL; DR version:

when you hear the "this call may be recorded for quality assurance purposes", can you also record the call? do you need to announce it? are they allowed to hang-up on you when you ask if you can record the call?

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If they are recording the call anyway I can't see any harm in it, although some companies would probably dislike it if you were to then use that recording as incriminating evidence, or similar.

I'm not so sure on the actual law behind this though.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Can you record it? Yeah, but chances are it won't really hold up too well in a court case. Just my 2cents, I don't know for sure myself either. :)

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
I think you are required to inform them that you are recording the call and the reason why you are recording it. So even though they say they are recording the call for quality assurance, you can't exactly claim you need it for the same reason. I am no lawyer though and it would vary depending on where you are from.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Even if you did it won't make a difference. They likely have a lot more money than you... so they'll most likely win anything that you throw at them.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
even though they say they are recording the call for quality assurance, you can't exactly claim you need it for the same reason.

that would be the exact reason though, them doing what they said they would do is basically the quality of their word, and I need assurance they they will honor their word - I agree it wouldn't hold up in a court of law, but most companies you get service form, you can't sue anyways - you are forced to accept binding arbitration, which if it really got to the point, I would hope to be able to use it there

Varine

Reaction score
that would be the exact reason though, them doing what they said they would do is basically the quality of their word, and I need assurance they they will honor their word - I agree it wouldn't hold up in a court of law, but most companies you get service form, you can't sue anyways - you are forced to accept binding arbitration, which if it really got to the point, I would hope to be able to use it there

Quality Assurance purposes mean that they aren't supposed to be on the phone with you for very long. They record it, occasionally listen to the ones that take a long time and figure out why then tell everyone not to do that anymore. Plus from time to time they get people that call in threats, people get really mad, etc. They need them for records other than that, but regardless this isn't much of a debate. You can record anything so long as you tell them that you're recording it; they don't even have to say quality assurance, they can just say they're recording the call. But people typically are okay with it when given a slightly more rational explanation.

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
When agreed upon it is legal, unless your region holds specific laws against this. A reason is not needed. Continuing the call on their side after you inform them would imply an agreement.

Varine

Reaction score
It doesn't have to be agreed on; whoever is being recorded just has to be informed. In some cases you don't even have to be told if it's obvious. When was the last time you got pulled over and the coppy asked if it was alright if he video taped you?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
When was the last time you got pulled over and the coppy asked if it was alright if he video taped you?

that's rather different, that is recording something in public (on a public road), which you are also allowed to do

Varine

Reaction score
Not really. You have be informed that you're being recorded; it's just a standard that you're going to be. You already KNOW you're being recorded because it's a cop or because some guy is walking around with a video camera because it's obvious. No one really needs your consent for most things, it doesn't matter if you don't WANT to be recorded.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.