Reducing Unit "Lag"

Steve

Reaction score
Not sure how to word the title, but when there are a ton of units on the screen they seem to move very choppy. They take a few steps and stop, take another few and stop again ect. ect. Im thinking the pathing has something to do with it, but im not sure.

M

Mythic Fr0st

hmm

No,

2 possiblies

1: your computer sucks... lol (no offense)
2: you have memory leaks...

I would guess option 2...

ask for a memory leak tutorial, or view the tutorial place thing

turok255

Reaction score
ask for a memory leak tutorial, or view the tutorial place thing

lol i like how you worded it...

dude, you gotta have a good computer not to lagg when theres alot of units on the screen... thats all there is to it..

also he was right leaks make it worse

Mr Zero

Junior Regular (Got the T-shirt)
Reaction score
Could be:

1. Memory leaks.

2. Too many units are moving. (There nothing to do about this one. Unless removeing the units. Eg. TD when the units spawns the moving a bit of the path then stops waits and then moves again.)

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
No, the AI produces or you produce too many units that you may not be able to control them all. Mostly the AI can't control all of their units and end up moving slowly.

dude, you gotta have a good computer not to lagg when theres alot of units on the screen... thats all there is to it..

That's pure bull****. I have a HP Computer and it has the same thing of what Steve said. All computers get this problem, if a computer has this problem and the other doesn't, that's screwed. Everyone gets this if too many units are produced. I'ts not lag either, what's with you guys? Read an AI tutorial or something, my information came from Battle.net. The only way it lags if you have too many leaks or if you too much clutter on your disc drive.

2. Too many units are moving. (There nothing to do about this one. Unless removeing the units. Eg. TD when the units spawns the moving a bit of the path then stops waits and then moves again.)

This theory is correct, don't test this knowledge, this is your answer. No doubts.

Tonks

Reaction score
The problem is that they're all trying to move at once, and their paths are crossing, so they try to avoid that, but they move into another path, etc etc.
I.e, there's too many paths. Nothing to do for it except remove units

M

Mythic Fr0st

That's pure bull****.

Not so, a weak computer, will lag more then a powerful one...

If you have a computer, that has poor graphic card / low ram / low HD space available / low processing power...

IT WILL go slower...

Although all computers get it with MASSES of units, the bad computer, will get it with less units than the big one...
Mostly the AI can't control all of their units and end up moving slowly.

>> I learnt something new, AI!

and If he does have a bad pc, I think its a combo of them all...

My opinion :)

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
That's pure bull****. I have a HP Computer and it has the same thing of what Steve said. All computers get this problem, if a computer has this problem and the other doesn't, that's screwed. Everyone gets this if too many units are produced. I'ts not lag either, what's with you guys? Read an AI tutorial or something, my information came from Battle.net. The only way it lags if you have too many leaks or if you too much clutter on your disc drive.

As do I. It's actually not bull. My computer struggles at 5000 units. At 9000 WC3 takes...um...5-10 minutes to show the dialog box when you push the menu keyboard. For all intents and purposes...crashes.

It's not about AI or anything like that. It's about processing power. Usually

Although...I get the feeling that the original poster didn't really mean this kind of "lag".

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
My computer lags at a somewhat high number units but it doesn't take long to hit the exit button. But if too many units move at the same time, it will show jerking movements and will eventually hinder the player.

Steve

Reaction score
well thanks for all the replys, i thought it might just be to many units. Also my comp is old but runs fine on war 3. 2.0ghtz 1gig ram and nvidia 6200 256mb card.

M

Mythic Fr0st

hmm

Just being old makes a computer slow (mental effect, like humans if you tell them they're stupid, they get a lower self opinion) lol...

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Just being old makes a computer slow (mental effect, like humans if you tell them they're stupid, they get a lower self opinion) lol...

Actually, that IS quite true!
I saw a TV show once, with researchers researching (duh :p). And as all researches they were researching in something weird: 'They were trying to figure out if humans can affect computers.'
What they did was: They gathered several people and sat them down, one-by-one at a computer (with screen and all, obviously) which had a program running. This program displayed randomly picked numbers every 2 or 3 seconds or so.
They told half of the people to think very hard of a certain number (I believe 1) and told the other half to think of nothing special.
It turned out that for the half that was thinking of a certain number, this number came up a lot more times than for the other half. -Coincidence?

After watching this show it is my personal believe that computers and human's minds works together, somehow. :p
If, for example, you "hate" your computer. And are "bullying" it by thinking/saying stuff like: "I hate my computer, it's so damn slow. / My computer sucks." -and so on. Your computer WILL mess up. (You probably hurt it's feelings.) This, I believe, works the same way as if someone who doesn't know how to use a computer properly sits down with it and starts trying to achieve something.
-Do notice how some people gets all worked up and angry when a computer "isn't working" (aka, they don't know what to do or how to treat it.)
And how easy things like saving or opening a document starts screwing up.
I've noticed this "behaviour" a lot, since I've worked with "fixing" "broken" computers.
-A lot of people drops their computers off complaining about 2 or 3 things. And when I try it, it works smoothly. I do not believe these people are lying. I DO believe the computers (just like animals) has a certain sense.

Animals can sense when you are afraid of them. -This makes the dog (or whatever the animal might be) bark even louder or jump higher. It's natural.

I believe I've lost the point somewhere in all the text. But if someone finds it I'd appriciate to have it back. No rewards promised, unfortunately.
To conclude this, I just want to say: Sorry for all the writing, and I find this interessting. :)

Tonks

Reaction score
So does this mean when I punched my monitor several times, I hurt my computers feelings? Is that why it's going so slow? :rolleyes:

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
I'm not sure if your monitor and your computer shares feelings.
But if someone punched my friend I wouldn't be too happy with (Attacking unit) :p (I'm talking in trigger functions now. Might as well start typing rofl,omg for now on. :eek: )

But yea. It wouldn't surprise me if your computer is affected by these negative energies that you are emitting when feeling anger towards something (your monitor?). Also, I do believe one unleashes negative energies when punching something. (You know how people talk about pounding on "punching-bags" after work to get some workout but also feel more calm.) -Which, also, affects your computer. Most likely in a negative way.
I believe this can be compared to animals, once again:
Have you ever had a Nintendo (NES), the first machine? (You know, Super Mario Bros and Zelda and all those "goodies." :p)
I had a few of these when I was younger. We (my brothers and I) used to punch them when they didn't work, in order to get them to work. (I know, weird logic there. What can I say? We were young. :p)
My point is: This Nintendo-machine wasn't very complicated, far from as powerful as your PC. Which makes me want to compare the Nintendo with a "lesser" animal. Perhaps a worm. They live basically on insticts. No learning capability whatsoever (as far as I know.)
And then you have the PC, which is more like a dog. (Depending on soft- and hardware. :p) Dogs are known to be able to be trained, etc. They can learn how to search for missing people in an avalance. And much, much more.
They are affected by their surroundings.
-I think the same goes for computers. :p

EDIT: Punching on electronical things are mainly a bad idea. Which should be avoided, if possible. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.