Reflecting Damage Taken to a Target

WildTurkey

Previously known as giv_me_rep
Reaction score
Cant get the trigger to detect damage taken. I know it doesnt work well using event is attacked and event response damage taken but is there a way I can get this to work well. Want it to reflect damage from all sources only to a single target not to all like spiked carapace.

Current code not working:
Code:
Sacrificial Pact Cast
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Sacrificial Pact
    Actions
        Set SacrificialPact_Unit[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] = (Target unit of ability being cast)
        Set SacrificialPact_Active[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] = True
        Set Temp_Point = (Position of (Triggering unit))
        Unit - Create 1 Dummy Unit for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at Temp_Point facing Default building facing degrees
        Custom script:   call RemoveLocation (udg_Temp_Point)
        Unit - Add a 2.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
        Unit - Add Sacrificial Pact Buff  to (Last created unit)
        Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Priest - Inner Fire (Target unit of ability being cast)
        Wait 25.00 seconds
        Set SacrificialPact_Active[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] = False

Sacrificial Pact Effect
    Events
        Unit - A unit Is attacked
    Conditions
        SacrificialPact_Active[(Player number of (Owner of (Attacked unit)))] Equal to True
    Actions
        Wait 1.00 seconds
        Unit - Set life of (Attacked unit) to ((Life of (Attacked unit)) + (Damage taken))
        Unit - Cause (Attacked unit) to damage (Attacking unit), dealing (Damage taken) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
The DamageTaken variable can ONLY be used with the "Unit Takes Damage" event. If you try to use it anywhere else it will always be 0.0.

And even if that would work, the rest of your trigger doesnt. If you have a wait in your trigger all the event response variables will be reset. Only (Triggering Unit) and (Triggering Player) (and the like) still work after a wait.

What exactly do you mean when you say you want to reflect damage "to a single target"? In your trigger you try to reflect it to whoever dealt the damage.

WildTurkey

Reaction score
So what I am aiming for is: Unit takes damage
Negate Damage Taken
Deal Damage Taken to (Unit Variable) <- which would be the previously targetted unit of the spell

So all damage dealt from all sources to the hero will be negated and instead dealt by the hero to the enemy we have previously targetted

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Negating the damage is not possible if the damage kills the hero. But if it doesnt kill the hero it will work.
However, there is no generic "Unit takes damage" event. You either have to use a Damage Detection System (for example Weeps GDD) or build one yourself.
If all your heroes are known from the start and dont change over the course of the game you could register damage taken events for each hero right at the beginning and control them via conditions.

WildTurkey

Reaction score
what would be an effective way to turn this variable off after x seconds?
SacrificialPact_Active[player number of owner of casting unit]

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
You could make it an integer instead and have it count down periodically.
Alternatively you could start a timer for this and use the event Timer Expired to turn it off.

Devalut

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Damage Engine will solve your problems
The map file contains Bribe's system along with the custom ability provided
The spell is on the Fallen priest and a few minions with very low health to test on

EDIT
Didn't know this thread was 2 god damn years old...

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.