Replacing a units model?

gameman

It's been a long, long time.
Reaction score
Is there a way to replace an individual units model? I am trying to make a spy type unit.

gameman

Reaction score

Use more than one word when answering a users question. Otherwise it seems really rude.

Not sure about what you meant but you can still use any morph ability for change the unit with another model of course.

Not quite what I want. There are going to be quite a few units that I am going to use as the disguises, but if it falls down to it, I guess I could...

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
This question is coming up like 10 times a week in this forum.
You wanted to know if you could change the model of a single unit ingame. The answer is simple: No.
There is no way.
What do you want to hear? "oh why Blizzard WHY!?!?" or should i tell you some kind of fairytale to make up for those sad news?

Deal with it, there is no way to do so. There might always be "workarounds", but it might be way more rude to call you too stupid to think about that yourself and talk to you like to a little kid.

gameman

Reaction score
This question is coming up like 10 times a week in this forum.
You wanted to know if you could change the model of a single unit ingame. The answer is simple: No.
There is no way.
What do you want to hear? "oh why Blizzard WHY!?!?" or should i tell you some kind of fairytale to make up for those sad news?

Deal with it, there is no way to do so. There might always be "workarounds", but it might be way more rude to call you too stupid to think about that yourself and talk to you like to a little kid.

I was not whining, or being the little child saying that blizzard messed up when they didn't include a way to do this natively. I wanted a direct answer with the solution, or a clever work around/idea. I did not come here to be berated for a question I had asked. If it is such a common question, then you show your evidence with a link and maybe nudge them to use the search function.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php/168376-A-question-considering-Unit-models-%29
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php/167288-Disguise?highlight=change+unit+model
These two are found on the first page when searching for things like "change unit model" and most likely as well for similar stuff.
But thats pretty off-topic.

You just asked if there was a way and i just answered correctly.
I dont know why you insist on big replies with many words and little content when a simple "no" is already more then enough. I for an instance would rather hear somebody tell me "no, not possible" then writing me a 3 pages long article about the issue and its historical background as well as workarounds and major breakthroughs at the experimental level.

I wasnt trying to "berate" you at all, i was just trying to make a point that i think its rather rude to make a big deal out of a simple question. Like i ask you what time it is and you tell me that you can read the time from a clock and i should get a clock when i want to know the time, do you understand what i mean?
I just think its derogative to tell somebody something clear-cut and state the obvious.

I was just guessing you would have already thought about using something like chaos or metamorphosis as a workaround but you wanted to ask first if there was an easier way before taking that route.

keychup

Reaction score
add the chaos (grunt) ability or something like that and remove the chaos requirements. set the new unit type to the unit you want to turn into

Amn

Reaction score
Is there a way to replace an individual units model? I am trying to make a spy type unit.
humm. i have a ninja idea.
you make this spy unit have an ability to imitate someone
then, this ability actually makes an illusion of the target
on cast, it hides your spy, creates the illusion and moves it to your spy location.
and finally u enable a trigger that says 'illusion owned by spy dies, move spy to dying illusion location and unhide'. game over.

no?

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It will still be displayed as an Illusion because the ability is hard-coded into the game, whether it gets an expiring timer or a blue-transparent model.

@ Accname

Maybe you are right, maybe you did answer the question correctly, but it still doesn't warrant you the right to insult anyone on these forums.
It's the first time I see such a behavior so we're gonna call it a day, but I hope it's the last as well.

merlinds

Reaction score
I think the option "Unit - Replace" may help. it replace your unit with another unit.
You can use a trigger to detect the "Unit Type" of the tatget of the ability being cast" and then replace the caster with a unit of that type.
Obviously you will have to save the original Unit Type for when you want to Un-disguise the spy.
And add to the new unit an ability to allow it to Un-disguise.
I dont know, it may work!

Amn

Reaction score
It will still be displayed as an Illusion because the ability is hard-coded into the game, whether it gets an expiring timer or a blue-transparent model.
but the owner of the illusion is the spy player, others see the illusion as a real unit.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
i have an idea to make a system to change models, but it wouldnt be actually changing models, it would be faking a unit essentially, use a unit with a blank model (.txt file changed to .mdx) and then another unit with the correct model and the same art/anim fields with unlimited health/mana, then when the unit takes damage, deal it to the correct unit and set the fakes health % to the real unit, then when the unit is selected instantly select the real, very complex but i could see someone making a system for it

gameman

Reaction score
humm. i have a ninja idea.
you make this spy unit have an ability to imitate someone
then, this ability actually makes an illusion of the target
on cast, it hides your spy, creates the illusion and moves it to your spy location.
and finally u enable a trigger that says 'illusion owned by spy dies, move spy to dying illusion location and unhide'. game over.

no?

This idea works with the item_illusion ability, I paired it with a way to adjust max health and mana and it's very close to what I want! My only issue is that illusions do not have to ability to cast spells, even when they are added to them.

gameman

Reaction score
I considered it, but afaik, illusions have no armor value, so they take exactly the 200% dmg delt to them. Along with that, their attacks deal no damage (Although, I can disable a units damage). The reason I am being picky about the armor value, is balance. I Do not want to give an advantage of bonus armor when choosing disguises.

If you were to choose a disguise, the logical choice would be the one that gives an advantage. But I want no pros or cons regarding disguises, aside from the situational use. (It'd be a bad idea to go disguised as x's hard counter because there are no X in the area).

Dirac

Reaction score
This is a long shot but, it might work for you

First hide the unit to be disguised, then create a new unit based on the unit to be copied and add locust to it. Periodically move this unit to the caster's X and Y to keep them toguether, also order to that unit every order the caster receives. Prevent all damage done by this disguise unit.

gameman

Reaction score
This is a long shot but, it might work for you

First hide the unit to be disguised, then create a new unit based on the unit to be copied and add locust to it. Periodically move this unit to the caster's X and Y to keep them together, also order to that unit every order the caster receives. Prevent all damage done by this disguise unit.

But the delay with that concerns me, testing it, the dummy unit has a slight delay between orders.

I'll explain what I am trying to accomplish now.

I am trying to create a stealth unit with the ability to disguise as other units. I am trying to create the disguise effect with as little custom units as possible. Using illusions gets me close, but there is the issue of disabled abilities. And if I try to modify normal units, (like an unchanged footman), there is the exploitable armor bonus. (disguising as X is better because it has higher armor than Z). The disguise should appear to have the spy's default stats when inspected (selected).

I do have the tools to modify a unit's hp to the spy's hp, along with mana. But armor still seems to get in the way.

The disguise doesn't have to be convincing, as the health amount will tip off players that inspect anyways.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
use a summoning ability that actually summons another unit of that unit's unit-type, give it equal items and stats...
yes?
win? :D
lose? D:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.