Requesting your aid!

Dr.Jack

That's Cap'n to you!
Reaction score
I have been thinking for a while about a new idea that I have for a story (not sure how long it will be). In the center of the story stands a character. To the outside world the character seems loveable, stable, smart, charming and popular. However the hero is the opposite. He is unstable and odd, the world knows only the show he puts up. He is not insane nor evil, he just doesn't act naturally around people. People who think they know him the best don't know anything about him.

One day the character wakes up believing that it had a revelation. He believes he had an enlightenment that he saw or spoke or heard god. It remains through out the story a mystery whether it is true or not. However due to his belief (at the very least) of the encounter the character loses hold of the world. He gets worst and worst turns to drugs refuse the many offers of help from all of those who loved him (or at least the man they thought he is). A few years later he finds himself with nothing, without his girlfriend that he truly loved, without the love of his parents nor the respect of his friends. He turned from a successful man to a ghost full of anger at god and the divine powers. The ending scene is a second revelation he has. He dies peacefully in a dark ally with an (imagined?) angle watching him.

I really want this story to work, I love the plot and I love the ideas and messages behind it that I will (attempt) to present. Firstly I would love to hear what you think about the plot. However I have more urgent issue.

The main problem is I don't have the words. It has been a while since I really sat down and wrote page after a page after a page. It is as if my ambition and imagination weakened. The English language I don't know well enough to write. I can write basic things however I can't pass elegantly a vivid image or thoughts. With that it has been so long since I wrote in Hebrew (my native language). Hebrew is a very difficult language to write in. Its hard to make sentences flow, and the vocabulary is small. I really have no solution I hope you may have even though it is unlikely. I was hoping that when I sit down the words will stream out but they didn't. I found myself writing a paragraphs and deleting it again and again and again because I didn't sound good. So I'm open to any suggestions really.

Much appreciated, and thanks for reading.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I would probably read up on religious studies and hide points throughout that tie into the Bible or something (which you probably already did). I'm not familiar with Hebrew, although if the language is limiting, it may be best to write in English and have someone else edit the language to make it more elegant, and maybe try and have personal contact with them to try and pass of the thought that you envisioned.

Dr.Jack

That's Cap'n to you!
Reaction score
I would probably read up on religious studies and hide points throughout that tie into the Bible or something (which you probably already did). I'm not familiar with Hebrew, although if the language is limiting, it may be best to write in English and have someone else edit the language to make it more elegant, and maybe try and have personal contact with them to try and pass of the thought that you envisioned.

I think I will indeed be force to use a friend or a the very least use a dictionary very freaquently. Even though it is not the most satisfying solution it seems as if it is the only one.

I'm interested in hearing also what you think of the plot. Does it seem interesting enough? Unique and original enough?

Thanks as always mates!

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
What are you trying to make the main character represent or mean? Is he some sort of Jesus figure? I don't know your character like you do, so I can't help that much.

As for the language, reading always helps. If you a good book written in English for a few hour a day, you will no doubt come to better understand literary flow. The language barrier can be tough.

Varine

Reaction score
The idea sounds like some things I've read but usually they're more into revelation through God to have some profound meaning that usually really isn't very good.

Dr.Jack

That's Cap'n to you!
Reaction score
What are you trying to make the main character represent or mean? Is he some sort of Jesus figure? I don't know your character like you do, so I can't help that much.

As for the language, reading always helps. If you a good book written in English for a few hour a day, you will no doubt come to better understand literary flow. The language barrier can be tough.

Actually I want the main character to represent us. The fact that you can't really know someone even if you wanted it badly. The fact that by our nature we are unstable and easily shaked. That our hopes and dreams are so meaningless that it is pathetic. And finally that our beliefs true or not based or not can lead to our utter destruction.
That is exactly the problem. I mostly read in Hebrew, I read English only on the internet. I guess will have to start from the beginning and read basic English books and move up the ladder.

The idea sounds like some things I've read but usually they're more into revelation through God to have some profound meaning that usually really isn't very good.

I'm trying to concentrate on the downfall of the character that caused by this revelation and not on the revelation itself. While revelation is something we all want it can still lead to our destruction. We often feel that we are guided or protected but even when the protector is revealed it can't defend completely. Ultimately our biggest threat is ourselves.

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
Just find inspiration through what you like to do. If you're unable to write, even when you try to force yourself, then maybe it's not the right time to write. Wait until it is, then you'll produce something amazing.

Saki_sakurai

Reaction score
Writing is like tea, it takes time to make it just right, not too hot, not to cold. Take your time, plan out character descriptions, places, etc. Then start to research on those places. After that if you still have writers block and don't have anywhere to start writing. Then just throw a few words onto a page, mind you it will eventually come, heck, you'll probably have that moment while sitting on the toilet or in a restaurant. We as the community can tell you all of our ideas. But this is your time, and we can't write for you. And if you're expecting a great story like Harry Potter or something, forget it. Those writers honed their skills since they could pick up a pen. But good thing you don't have a deadline because you can go back and revise all the time. If you still have writers block after what I said before then maybe you're just not meant to write. :p cause I know i'm not, I like drawing what I see and making a comic or something out of it. Wish you best of luck. :)

Dr.Jack

That's Cap'n to you!
Reaction score
Writing is like tea, it takes time to make it just right, not too hot, not to cold. Take your time, plan out character descriptions, places, etc. Then start to research on those places. After that if you still have writers block and don't have anywhere to start writing. Then just throw a few words onto a page, mind you it will eventually come, heck, you'll probably have that moment while sitting on the toilet or in a restaurant. We as the community can tell you all of our ideas. But this is your time, and we can't write for you. And if you're expecting a great story like Harry Potter or something, forget it. Those writers honed their skills since they could pick up a pen. But good thing you don't have a deadline because you can go back and revise all the time. If you still have writers block after what I said before then maybe you're just not meant to write. :p cause I know i'm not, I like drawing what I see and making a comic or something out of it. Wish you best of luck. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. Please know that I have been writing for 10 years so some of the things stated are quite obvious to me. The problem I'm dealing is not an idea problem rather a vocabulary problem. I feel like the words a slipping away from me for the first time in my life. The passion and ideas are not gone but the language is. I'm quite startled by this as something like this never happened to me. I dearly hope it is only a matter of time and if it is not I not sure what I can do.

Saki_sakurai

Reaction score
Maybe it is because your vocab is not bad, more like you don't have the odds stacked against you right now. You have a great plot but I think you need some incentive. And if you think that it is slipping away, don't. Just think of it as "I am not as good when I thought I reached my peek, I'll be better now, or in the future." STOP LISTENING TO US, JUST GO AND WRITE FOR GOD SAKES. :p

Varine

Reaction score
I'm trying to concentrate on the downfall of the character that caused by this revelation and not on the revelation itself. While revelation is something we all want it can still lead to our destruction. We often feel that we are guided or protected but even when the protector is revealed it can't defend completely. Ultimately our biggest threat is ourselves.

Like a self-fullfilled prophecy sort of thing?

Hacklefellar

Reaction score
heck, you'll probably have that moment while sitting on the toilet or in a restaurant.

i know that, though i don't write stories but play the guitar. the awful thing about that is that when i get an idea, it's mostly in the middle of the night i wake up and think YES THATS IT! but i can't record it because everybody is asleep and i'll piss them off. so i have to go to sleep. and when i wake up in the morning, the moment is gone and i sit for hours on end trying to figure out what it was that i had come up with. it's so frustrating. so my tip is universal to any creative thing. if you do come up with something, record it by any means possible! do it straight away or it will really disappear:(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.