Rereading Harry Potter

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I just finished the first one, number 2 is probably going to get started today... I will admit, Chamber of Secrets is not my favorite book. I honestly think my favorite may have been Order of the Phoenix because Sirius Black had a big part to play and he was definitely one of my favorite characters. Of course... He also died.

The 6th movie wasn't my favorite. I think the 4th movie was my favorite of the movies.

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
See I really liked them all...But my favorite was one of the biggest go figure, It was Goblet of Fire. I think I just enjoyed the whole competition thing in it :p And I thought it was the best written of all of them in detail.

DM Cross

Reaction score
So I started book 2 about... 1.5, 2 hours ago. I'm on chapter seven :) these books are really a blast from the past. I think I'm going to make sure that my kids, should I have any, also try these books. Hopefully they'll be like their mother and father and love them.

I will say, though, that I remembered why I'm not a huge fan of book 2... Two words.

Gilderoy. Lockhart. I HATE this guy. I mean it. I seriously want him to be real, just so I can break his nose.

On a positive side, it's giving me an idea for future stories and motivating me to do more work with my own writing. More to come on that, though.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I've reread the series too many times to be able to really get that feeling of nostalgia anymore :(
I last finished reading Deathly Hallows about a year ago, and I have no intention of rereading them anytime soon, as I've since come to realise I have neglected a huge number of other books which I want to read. I guess I will in the future, when I've forgotten the intricacies of each one :)

My favourite is probably Prisoner of Azkaban. There was something about it when I read it for the first time that really got me, it has a great atmosphere. I enjoyed Chamber of Secrets more than most as well, on the first read through there is a very strong air of mystery and it kept me awake for more than a few nights reading it.

DM Cross

Reaction score
I seriously think that if there was a better DAtDA teacher... I wouldn't have disliked Chamber of secrets as much as I do. I'm not even sure I can/want to ever watch the movie again because they chose such a great actor to embody that... STUPID attitude Lockhart had.

I didn't remember this from the movie and it's been so long since I read the book, but being up to chapter 10 now, I'm seeing all the times how Lockhart goes to a teacher and tries to tell them how to do their job and then says some rubbish to the students about how "I just happen to have all the experience in the world!"...

UGH, I just wanna deck him. Right now :) Someone find me that actor!

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
The actor who played Lockhart was Kenneth Brannagh. He's a pretty good actor so please don't take it out on him :p
Much as though he is a detestable character... I love him in some ways because of his sheer incompetancy. I think it requires a sort of... "British" understanding of humour to appreciate Lockhart... he fits the stereotype of foppish cad with barely any braincells to rub together but who remains sure of his own higher position over everyone else (most often in films, this character type is portrayed by Hugh Grant :rolleyes:).

And the bit at the end of CoS where he obliviates himself with Ron's wand is brilliant.

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
Lockhart is a cocky know it all....that's why I don't like the character in general. Thank god you never deal with him again. I'm suprised Seth doesn't like him...He's cocky and arrogant :p which is kinda funny to me :)

DM Cross

Reaction score
Well, book 2 bites the dust and I'm up to chapter nine of book 3 :) The extremely unflattering introduction of my favorite character, Sirius Black. Lupin is cool too but the actor they got for him in the movies is not what I expected. I prefer the way I envisioned him as a kid.

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
the worst thing about harry potter is that, WHY ISNT GINNY AS HOT AS HERMIONE D:

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
The quidditch is my favorite scene in that book. I dislike as series keeps going they barely play anymore.

If I recall correctly, one of the books had quite a lot of quidditch in it... the third one I think...

ah book 1 <3 the memories... I was around 11-12 when I first read it... it brings a distant feeling of innocence and youth that I haven't felt in years.

DM Cross

Reaction score
I think the story had to evolve past "nice" things like Quidditch and such. The further you got into the series, the darker the theme became and eventually, you couldn't bother with things that weren't very serious. Quidditch was a great game, but the Quidditch Cup doesn't mean a damn thing, in my opinion, once Voldemort was revived. I'm actually surprised they had much of any games after that.

You know what I think would have been great to see more of? More magical towns and such, like Hogsmeade. You don't get to see a lot of people using magic in their daily lives to see the major difference between Muggles and magic-folk.

I have to say, re-reading this amazing series is seriously making me want to write more of my own stories... I have a bloody library-full of ideas.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You know what I think would have been great to see more of? More magical towns and such, like Hogsmeade. You don't get to see a lot of people using magic in their daily lives to see the major difference between Muggles and magic-folk.

This, times one thousand. I love things about daily life in that way, that show you how things are. I remember Harry Potter for ... playstation 1 was sick, because you saw that stuff.

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
Because of Seth I'm re reading them now too. Even though he got me a whole new collection for Christmas.

DM Cross

Reaction score
And book 4 is done!

Started on Book 5 [Order of the Phoenix] already into chapter eleven... I really didn't get far into this book at all because I can't remember things like Mrs. Black being such a bloody lunatic. I don't think even my hatred of Lockhart can rival the sincere desire to just knock her right out of that bloody portrait. Seriously...

Kreacher's funny, though, even though what he says is obviously pretty foul most of the time. It's just funny that he obviously thinks he's thinking what he's saying and getting in real trouble for it. I'm surprised he doesn't realize the problem with getting in trouble, but I guess he doesn't care.

DM Cross

Reaction score
I have finished the books. I am... In awe.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.