Resurrecting Nuance

I found your SourceForge page several days ago, and was *very* excited to see that you picked this back up and had made sure good progress! I'm getting started with developing for Nuon, and this could prove to be *very* helpful for me, so that I don't have to burn a CD for testing each and every build.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Toxie is awesome for picking this project back up. Please keep up on this as it is the key to NUON development. Without a proper emulator you would have to burn a disc to real hardware to test anything. Getting a NUON emulator is of primary importance. Has anyone contacted the NUON chip creators on this stuff? I hope I am not the one that has to do that but I will....

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Odd - why did my attachment not work? I am trying to post a 1.8MB ZIP file, but it will not work for me.
Attachments sizes were quite limited on the server configuration. I've adjusted this so it should work now.

toxie

You may change this now in User CP
I actually missed it so far. ;)
But will give it a try, thanks!

Also, new (minor) update of Nuance, 0.6.1: https://sourceforge.net/projects/nuance-nuon-emulator/files/latest/download

Still working on getting multi-threading to work properly (although all games are working fast enough by now on my modern-but-rather-cheap-laptop), and also to finally fix this darn sound/timing issue which is causing T3K to hang. :/

Mr^Burns

I don't know if the emu doesn't run full speed yet or if my laptop is just too shitty (very likely) but I went ahead and tested some retail games and homebrew

Hopefully somebody will dump the Tetris game and the Korean-only Shinchan Crayon game, it is a bit interesting as it requires a korean samsung nuon bios to start, so the emu would come in use in that case cause those are not exactly easy to find, but first we need a dump of the actual bios to do anything.

Keep up the good work Toxie.

Last edited:

The Helper

Staff member
I am so glad that this is project is still going. I hope some people at the Emulation Reddit get into to it as well - even the Konix Multisystem, one of the rarest of the rare has an emulator. The NUON needs a good Emulator. This is a testament to the late Mike Perry - the original NUANCE author - RIP.

cubanral

Stuck in the Tempest
Staff member
I tried playing around with the audio related crash with Tempest 3000. Reducing the number of audio interrupts (at a cost of having glacial distorted audio) to maybe a third of what they are now did eliminate the crash. If I limit the rate of audio interrupts to not be more often than the expected audio playback rate would allow, I still experience the crash in exactly the same way. So, I don't think this has anything to do with buffering.

The Helper

Staff member
I tried playing around with the audio related crash with Tempest 3000. Reducing the number of audio interrupts (at a cost of having glacial distorted audio) to maybe a third of what they are now did eliminate the crash. If I limit the rate of audio interrupts to not be more often than the expected audio playback rate would allow, I still experience the crash in exactly the same way. So, I don't think this has anything to do with buffering.
You are freaking Awesome!

doctorclu

NUON Lover!
Wow, every little bit helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    I have a GIF though
    In the GIF, I've configured it so the lower the "Main Value" is, the better. I had to compress it pretty far down though.
    And this is the thread with the video that shows the wall clip. https://tasvideos.org/Forum/Topics/23453
    +2
    Hmm, about the Headline News, I noticed threads are being moved into the subforum (Health News, Environmental News, etc.). When that happens, the TH Forum Home page loses the articles, and instead would show old articles posted 1 or 2 weeks ago.
    What do we do with the Home page?
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I added those forums to the filter for that widget.
    Oh nice. They're back. Thanks.
    Now I think it makes more sense for me to put news in their own subforums, without worry.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Awesome Ghan thanks! I was purposely not moving the first 15 news articles in Headline news to the different subforums but I guess I don't have to do that now?
    Question: Is there a way to remove thread redirects? It creates a copy of the moved thread and takes up space, and I am leaning towards wanting to remove them in the Headline News. But if they have an expiration date, I guess I'm fine with it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    If you move a thread please leave a permanent redirect. You can delete any redirects after 6 months. The redirects are left to help Search Engines find the moved content.
    What if you move the permanent redirect, not the thread?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think that works but I have not messed with it. You can delete redirects though if you have to that will not delete the original thread
  • The Helper The Helper:
    if a redirect ends up in the same forum as the post it goes to though I think the redirect drops or fails or something but they are not bugged out and when you are working on an indirect the original post is safe.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Early Friday :)
    +1
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Friday :)
    Fun Friday for me
    Happy Fun Friday to all.
    +2
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Sunday everyone!!!
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Happy Sunday!!!
    +1
  • jonas jonas:
    Happy monday :p
  • jonas jonas:
    Everyone hates mondays?
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Tuesday!
  • jonas jonas:
    Happy belated tuesday

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.