Discussion Resurrecting Nuance

toxie

You may change this now in User CP
Reaction score
Then back to the T3K deadlock issue..

One theory i have is the following: Could it be that due to the way the 'instantaneous' DMAs/Comms/etc work in Nuance, that T3K actually relies on these operations to take more cycles than 1?
So that the operations are executed too fast and thus the T3K code cannot react accordingly?
I wonder how one could fix/workaround this.
Add a queue that delays the signalling of certain operations?
Or delay the execution of certain commands by the spec'ed amount of cycles?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I would just slow everything down and work up. Add a bunch of delays and cut them and just brute force it. It is all about the timing.

toxie

Reaction score
Its not that straight forward though. One would have to buffer things that should be in flight whereas at the moment things are 'just done'.
But maybe its the only solution, who knows. (Jeffs source code could tell ;))

cubanismo

Reaction score
I just tweaked some more things in your commit, could you please doublecheck/review?
Looked through all the code, yes, great cleanups. Feel free to also delete all the unused variables you commented out, and the commented out code I left as notes to myself during intermediate changes that got squashed and then forgot to delete before sending the pull request. Oof. I even proof-read this.

toxie

Reaction score
Could you make a PR for this? Cause i don't know exactly which code/comments you mean. Thanks!

ZugPlayz

Reaction score
It is not dumped yet. when I look at the files, Tetris isn't there, even though it lists it to be there.

hopefully songbird will release it soon so we can finally play The Next Tetris without paying $800, Ebay has good deals for some stuff though, I remember one time when the Nuon was on there for $300 with everything with it, after all the controllers are hard to get.

It's actually dumped, didnt research about the next tetris. it's not actually called the next tetris, it's actually called toshiba sampler

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Toshiba Sampler contains the only The Next Tetris official release.

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
While testing Nuance on my laptop, I noticed that the Tempest 3000 demo on the Toshiba sampler also crashes every time trying to start the game. Not sure it will help find the issue, but just another data point.

toxie

Reaction score
Then back to the T3K deadlock issue..

One theory i have is the following: Could it be that due to the way the 'instantaneous' DMAs/Comms/etc work in Nuance, that T3K actually relies on these operations to take more cycles than 1?
So that the operations are executed too fast and thus the T3K code cannot react accordingly?
I wonder how one could fix/workaround this.
Add a queue that delays the signalling of certain operations?
Or delay the execution of certain commands by the spec'ed amount of cycles?
I by now also experimented with that one. So waiting on the respective MPE until a DMA is finished up, similar to the real HW, but with no positive change. Instead, obviously the emulation just got slower overall. :/

toxie

Reaction score
I don't think that would help. This is either some race condition somewhere, or something unhandled in general in the emulation.
Or some wrong opcode emulation.
I'm currently checking things all over the place in the hope to find more details.

But i desperately still need somebody skilled in Nuon development to reverse engineer T3Ks music (loading) code.
Or somebody with connections to Jeff Minter himself, cause he didn't answer my questions so far. Maybe he would be willing to share the source, or at least the respective snippets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.