Discussion Resurrecting Nuance

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Wow - this is probably my worst response time for a reply :( I never remember to check the forums here.
Odd - why did my attachment not work? I am trying to post a 1.8MB ZIP file, but it will not work for me.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Odd - why did my attachment not work? I am trying to post a 1.8MB ZIP file, but it will not work for me.

Attachments sizes were quite limited on the server configuration. I've adjusted this so it should work now.

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Thanks! Hopefully toxie will see this.

Attachments

• breakout.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 289

toxie

You may change this now in User CP
Reaction score
I actually missed it so far. ;)
But will give it a try, thanks!

Also, new (minor) update of Nuance, 0.6.1: https://sourceforge.net/projects/nuance-nuon-emulator/files/latest/download

Still working on getting multi-threading to work properly (although all games are working fast enough by now on my modern-but-rather-cheap-laptop), and also to finally fix this darn sound/timing issue which is causing T3K to hang. :/

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
LOL - I just came over here to paste the link to the AA Jag forum, but you've beaten me to it.

Mr^Burns

Reaction score

I don't know if the emu doesn't run full speed yet or if my laptop is just too shitty (very likely) but I went ahead and tested some retail games and homebrew

Hopefully somebody will dump the Tetris game and the Korean-only Shinchan Crayon game, it is a bit interesting as it requires a korean samsung nuon bios to start, so the emu would come in use in that case cause those are not exactly easy to find, but first we need a dump of the actual bios to do anything.

Keep up the good work Toxie.

Last edited:

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I am so glad that this is project is still going. I hope some people at the Emulation Reddit get into to it as well - even the Konix Multisystem, one of the rarest of the rare has an emulator. The NUON needs a good Emulator. This is a testament to the late Mike Perry - the original NUANCE author - RIP.

cubanral

Stuck in the Tempest
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried playing around with the audio related crash with Tempest 3000. Reducing the number of audio interrupts (at a cost of having glacial distorted audio) to maybe a third of what they are now did eliminate the crash. If I limit the rate of audio interrupts to not be more often than the expected audio playback rate would allow, I still experience the crash in exactly the same way. So, I don't think this has anything to do with buffering.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried playing around with the audio related crash with Tempest 3000. Reducing the number of audio interrupts (at a cost of having glacial distorted audio) to maybe a third of what they are now did eliminate the crash. If I limit the rate of audio interrupts to not be more often than the expected audio playback rate would allow, I still experience the crash in exactly the same way. So, I don't think this has anything to do with buffering.

You are freaking Awesome!

doctorclu

NUON Lover!
Reaction score

Wow, every little bit helps.

cubanral

Stuck in the Tempest
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish I could have gotten further with it. The changes toxie has done make the code a lot more understandable. Still, no matter how many times I refactor things, I end up with the same crashes.

I don't have a very good understanding of the video interrupts. I tried to form some sort of relationship between the audio/video interrupts but the video just kept chugging along as if I wasn't even making changes. The audio seemed a lot more straightforward. Should the CPU effectively stall until the audio buffers are cleared?...who knows! It is such a high level emulation that things aren't really happening anywhere near how they originally did, including the ordering of some operations given the crashes. While it is nice to not have to think about timing, clearly there is something needed to give it some semblance of the original timing in at least in a couple circumstances. This emulator is especially frustrating since it is seemingly so close to making these games fully playable.

Last edited:

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I just saw 3 Googlebots on this thread at the same time so something happened hopefully they will re-index this higher on emulation type stuff so we can get someone over from the Emulation scene to get us a NUON emulator! I know this can be done and will be done and I just hope it happens here! NUON Forever!

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I want to go find the main Emulation reddit and put down a reverse psychology challenge - for instance like - there is no way you guys can emulate NUON! I have no idea what it takes to write an emulator except that I am sure it is not easy at all but I do know that the there are people in the Emulator community could do it if properly motivated....

I really do not know how far we are going to get with NUANCE though as it is Windows based.

dvhsfan

Reaction score
I downloaded toxie's code for the emulator. I cleaned up a bunch of Visual Studio warnings. Not sure how to feed back the changes to toxie or whoever else is working on it. So, if you would like the cleaned up code, tell me how/where you want it uploaded.
This doesn't fix any bugs or features, just gets a cleaner build.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.