Discussion Resurrecting Nuance

toxie

You may change this now in User CP
Reaction score
I didn't experience a single crash when playing Merlin Racing quite a bit.

Even though Tempest 3000 still requires going to vector test before playing, I didn't experience the crash that requires going to the the music test before playing. I didn't have any crashes before getting a game over. Are the seemingly random crashes gone or was I just lucky?

This definitely appears to be the biggest update as far as "crashiness" goes.

Neat! Thanks for testing!
The vector test necessity is the one that still confuses me most, especially as its also only necessary when dynamic recompilation is enabled. This means that there is at least one bug with that one left.

As for the music test/gameplay: If you can play the game and make it to a new level where the music track also changes, thats where it also still hangs for me. :/ So this is still the most significant bug left, as one cannot complete T3K this way.

cubanral

Stuck in the Tempest
Staff member
Reaction score
As for the music test/gameplay: If you can play the game and make it to a new level where the music track also changes, thats where it also still hangs for me. :/ So this is still the most significant bug left, as one cannot complete T3K this way.
Ah yes, I see that now. I guess I got lucky that I loaded the game without issue with one of the first levels. Usually, it still freezes when starting the first couple levels. If I make the audio timing so strict that practically every other sample is thrown away, it will work quite a bit better. But then again, it will now sound like a jackhammer at that point.

I haven't tried super pseudo-cycle-exact audio/video timing, but I suspect it would be even less of an improvement than skipping/delaying many audio interrupts. I had something with video interrupts potentially running every 900,000 cycles and audio interrupts every 13,824,000 cycles. Other than making everything a laggy mess, it didn't accomplish much.

ZugPlayz

Reaction score
I personally don't really like the UI too much, Same with the controls. I think what would be a good idea is to add a place to change the controls, and instead of opening separate windows, it could just be in a toolbar instead.

My version of the UI:
Nuance v0.6.2 GUI concept.png

Attachments

• Nuance v0.6.2 GUI concept.zip
    13 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

toxie

Reaction score
In principle i agree, but at the moment the major focus is on making things work first. ;)
But if anyone has a patch to change the UI, i'll happily merge it.

ZugPlayz

Reaction score

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
The greed and stupidity on Ebay is so sad. The OMG@@@ R@RE!!! has ruined pretty much every aspect of collecting and not just for video games.

V-SNES

NUON Lover!
Staff member
Reaction score
Somebody, BUY THIS AND DUMP IT NOW! (if you have the money to do it.)
I'm pretty sure it's already been dumped. There is a download pack on archive.org that includes all Nuon games except Crayon Shin-Chan 3.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score

ZugPlayz

Reaction score
Someone would have to be crazy to pay that for The Next Tetris

I forgot to say how expensive it is, It feels like everything on Ebay that's rare is so overpriced.

I'm pretty sure it's already been dumped. There is a download pack on archive.org that includes all Nuon games except Crayon Shin-Chan 3.

It is not dumped yet. when I look at the files, Tetris isn't there, even though it lists it to be there.

The greed and stupidity on Ebay is so sad. The OMG@@@ R@RE!!! has ruined pretty much every aspect of collecting and not just for video games.

hopefully songbird will release it soon so we can finally play The Next Tetris without paying $800, Ebay has good deals for some stuff though, I remember one time when the Nuon was on there for $300 with everything with it, after all the controllers are hard to get.

V-SNES

NUON Lover!
Staff member
Reaction score
It is not dumped yet. when I look at the files, Tetris isn't there, even though it lists it to be there.
While it doesn't show Tetris specifically in the file names, it should be in the Toshiba Sampler.

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
Merry Christmas!
I didn't realize TNT was such a rare commodity. I might be able to play Santa this year as I have an ISO of the disc, if someone wants to try burning it and trying it on a player. It's 2.7 GB so not quite sure how to transfer it around, but where there's a will there's a way.

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
I just happen to be on vacation all next week - I'd gladly test on my N501. I believe Google gives 15GB free space (for such things as Drive, etc.) I'd say that's the best bet.

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Thanks for posting! I haven't tried burning to DVD yet, but I will say the latest version of Nuance (0.62) runs The Next Tetris. Just tell the emulator to load "Toshiba Sampler (Next Tetris)\Toshiba Sampler DVD\NUON\tnt.cof" and the game will start.

cubanismo

Reaction score
I managed to add joystick support to Nuance over the holiday break. I thought it'd be a fun little one-night project, but it turned into a multi-day slog. At any rate, here it is:

Attached a build to play with for those who just can't wait. Just drop the files in this zip on top of a prior build from further up the thread, as I only included the bits that changed here.

One day late, but merry Christmas everyone!

Attachments

• Nuance_Joystick.zip
    316 KB · Views: 117

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Just tried this, Windows 11 is refusing to run the file - it says there was a virus (or other error) and it deleted it. I am sure this is a false positive - just wanted to let you know. The exe for 0.6.2 was working fine, as I was using it a few hours ago.

I've turned off Defender because I fuc*ing hate it. POS Winblows will turn it back on for me since I haven't forcibly removed it from my system yet. I've added the emulator folder as an exclusion so I can run the exe.

cubanismo

Reaction score
Just tried this, Windows 11 is refusing to run the file - it says there was a virus (or other error) and it deleted it. I am sure this is a false positive - just wanted to let you know. The exe for 0.6.2 was working fine, as I was using it a few hours ago.

I've turned off Defender because I fuc*ing hate it. POS Winblows will turn it back on for me since I haven't forcibly removed it from my system yet. I've added the emulator folder as an exclusion so I can run the exe.

That's interesting. I know programs that generate code at runtime (which Nuance does) often generate false positives, but I don't know why this build would get flagged while an earlier one would not.

toxie

Reaction score
The other ones were flagged, too. There is also a issue on github about it.
I guess its due to the way the HLE works (generating code, etc).

toxie

Reaction score
Forgot I have 2 TB in my Dropbox. I uploaded it there.

In that folder you will find the ISO for the DVD, if you have a way to burn that directly to disc. There is also a subdirectory containing the individual raw files from the disc. Hope that works for folks!

Thanks! This was also already available on archive.org, but isn't this just a demo? Or the full thing?

toxie

Reaction score
I managed to add joystick support to Nuance over the holiday break. I thought it'd be a fun little one-night project, but it turned into a multi-day slog.

I just tweaked some more things in your commit, could you please doublecheck/review?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.