[Review] Logitech G35

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Logitech G35
g35.jpg

Logitech is a long-time company of premium computer parts for all uses ranging from mice to headsets to keyboards, wheels, and speakers. Many of Logitech's products are formidable rivals to many other companies' products. The G35 is mainly rival to Razer's Megalodon, Turtle Beach's HPA2 and various others. With its lower price tag and high ratings, the Logitech G35 is the headset I chose to buy. And lo and behold, it has served me well.

The G35 comes as shown with a pre-attached head cushion and two extra Velcro-attached head cushions each labeled A, B, and C respectively. The headset's ear cups have cushions of the same material. The cushions are soft and wear very comfortably however they do induce a lot of sweating when worn for a long period of time. The headset also seems a bit weighty. The G35 sports a flexible microphone that can be pivoted to an upright position to move it out of the way. When upright it also automatically is muted. On the left ear cup, there are 6 objects to modify your experiences. It includes three programmable G-keys, a mute button, a volume adjuster, and a surround sound switch. The programmable G-keys are actually very limited in what they can control currently, but can be used for many things including music control and Ventrilo control.

This headset comes with a braided cord to eliminate tangles and is of ample length at 10 ft. The build quality suffers a bit. It's easily broken at the ear cup attachments. The plastic is of flimsy quality near the pivoting point of the ear cups. I, myself, had one break on me. The top of the headband feels quite flimsy as well, but I have yet to have anything break there. The serial number is quite the impossible thing to read on some older models and other numbers you need to get replacements in the event of a hardware malfunction is tedious at best. Nevertheless, Logitech's support is quite quick in replying and getting a replacement sent out to you.

The sound quality of the headphones is amazingly clear and the microphone is very capable of picking up your voice for those intense gaming sessions. Many times this headset will save your skin in an exciting match of Call of Duty when you most need to hear your enemies' footfalls. However, in this category, I more prefer my $20 JVC Marshmallows. They cancel sound much better than these. With the G35, you can still hear your fingers tap tap tapping away at your keyboard. Your brother playing Call of Duty very loudly on the Xbox across the room from you will be heard. Another problem is that sometimes it seems the sound in surround sound is skewed to the left.

All in all this is a very good headset and I do recommend this to anyone looking for a good buy; however, what headset you buy and prefer is always totally up to you.

I give this headset a:

|||||||||| Performance
|||||||||| Build Quality
|||||||||| Features
|||||||||| Ease of Use
|||||||||| Value

|||||||||| Overall

Comments on other reviews:

CNET said:
Bad: 7.1 sound has positional problems, should not be used for upmixing stereo sources • No 3.5mm jack ties these to your PC • Windows only

7.1 sound, I agree, though it only seems to have them sometimes. An very little in mine.
3.5mm jack, it would be nice if they came in a 3.5mm jack version, but then what cord would power the headphones? No. USB is the only solution at the moment.
Windows only, this is undesirable. Linux and Mac OS X compatible software should be developed.

DigitalTrends said:
Cons:

Heavy
Uncomfortable for extended gaming sessions
Muddy bass response
USB interface takes your sound card out of the equation

Heavy, yes, this is a headset slightly on the heavy side.
Uncomfortable, sweat buildup and the clamping of the headset does makes this uncomfortable.
Muddy bass response, I'm not sure on this. But then again, I use my Boston BA635 speakers and sub woofer for movies.
USB, true, but there is no other way unless you want three cords to have to plug in. Speakers, Microphone, and Power.

Xen at NewEgg said:
Cons: If you enjoy a near constant crackling sound while gaming, and the occasional earsplittingly loud burst of static, tempered with a high pitched whine in the right ear cup when the mic is disabled, this is the headset for you!

Static, I've never had static in my G35's, but I have had them in my microphone on my other Logitech headset that I don't know the model of. Then again, that's probably my fault. Some wire must be screwed up when I was messing around with the VERY flexible microphone.

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
>If you enjoy a near constant crackling sound while gaming, and the occasional earsplittingly loud burst of static, tempered with a high pitched whine in the right ear cup when the mic is disabled, this is the headset for you!

That sounds like a case problem, really.

Also you might want to get a decent sound card for high quality headphones like these.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>>Also you might want to get a decent sound card for high quality headphones like these.

But they're USB, wouldn't that not interact with the soundcard?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
But they're USB, wouldn't that not interact with the soundcard?

It would still likely interact with the sound card if you had the drivers installed, but there shouldn't be any case issues if it's a usb slot in the back of the motherboard

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
The Logitech G35 has a built in sound card... Getting another one won't do anything but cut a hole in your pocket.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
The Logitech G35 has a built in sound card...

<facepalm />

replacing integrated sound with built in sound is not the same as replacing integrated (or built-in, which is really the same thing) with dedicated..

either way, logitech has pretty awesome support, they will probably fix it for free if you call them

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
either way, logitech has pretty awesome support, they will probably fix it for free if you call them

Yes they do. My G35 broke at the left ear cup that connected it to the head band and they fixed it for free because it was still under the manufacturer's warranty.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.