Riddles

S

Siyanor

Seb, if you had a brain, you would know that this thread is for riddles.

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
>Under what conditions would it be physically impossible to leave a place?

• His legs are cut off
  • His brain is messed with so he can't walk
  • His bones are weakened and can't move
  • His muscles are weakened and can't move
  • He falls alseep
  • He dies
  • He's knocked out

Tharius

Occasionally Around
Reaction score
The question isn't really "Under what conditions would it be physically impossible to leave a place?", it's, "Under what conditions would it be physically impossible to leave a place for exactly one hundred years upon picking a plant, but after the hundred years have elapsed it is once again possible to leave?"

S

Siyanor

.. Ok, fine, I'll tell you the answer..

The location must no longer exist after he picks the plant. He cannot leave a place that does not exist. There is only one such plant in the region. Thus, once it is picked, the "region containing the plant" no longer exists. The man cannot leave the nonexistant region, but can easily walk home.

Tharius

Occasionally Around
Reaction score
That doesn't make much sense, considering the father said that one would be able to leave the location after a hundred years, and we are told to assume that everything he says is true.

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
.. Ok, fine, I'll tell you the answer..

The location must no longer exist after he picks the plant. He cannot leave a place that does not exist. There is only one such plant in the region. Thus, once it is picked, the "region containing the plant" no longer exists. The man cannot leave the nonexistant region, but can easily walk home.

Do explain how one would be able to leave after 100 years, then. Cause this answer cannot be right...

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Sorry to spoil your riddle, but that answer doesn't work at all. First:

Siyanor said:
...hundreds of varieties of plants, cut into hundreds of equally sized sections with only one type of plant in each part. If there's more than one of each plant in the section, your answer doesn't work, and it never says in the riddle that there is only one.

This does not say there is one of each plant in each section. One of each type, which implies there is more than one of that plant. Second:

Siyanor said:
...no one could leave the section of the garden that contained the plant until a hundred years after picking it.

"The section of garden that contained the plant."
contained, as in past tense. It doesn't matter whether it contains the plant now, because it used to contain it before. Thus, picking it doesn't make the section non-existent.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Alright, I've got one I made up.

A man is reading a book in the library by his wife. It just so happens that the book says Based on a true story. After reading the book, the man rips the book apart and storms out of the library and leaves his wife.
Why did he do so?

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
Alright, I've got one I made up.

A man is reading a book in the library by his wife. It just so happens that the book says Based on a true story. After reading the book, the man rips the book apart and storms out of the library and leaves his wife.
Why did he do so?
Because it was about his wife's having an affair with someone?

S

Siyanor

Sorry to spoil your riddle, but that answer doesn't work at all. First:

This does not say there is one of each plant in each section. One of each type, which implies there is more than one of that plant.

I know It doesn't say that, idiot. That is the ANSWER. If I told you that, it wouldn't be a riddle.

Second:

"The section of garden that contained the plant."
contained, as in past tense. It doesn't matter whether it contains the plant now, because it used to contain it before. Thus, picking it doesn't make the section non-existent.

No one could leave... that contained.

It's called sequence of tenses in subjunctive mood. Try taking a grammar class.

Sevion:

"By his wife" means "written by his wife." He didn't leave his wife in the library, he divorced his wife. She was never in the library.

Tharius

Occasionally Around
Reaction score
AgentPaper:

For what you're implying, the correct grammar would be "no one could leave the section of the garden that had contained the plant" - the current sentence is, I believe, being intentionally vague.

Siyanor:

Your riddle still doesn't work, for the reason that I stated in my last post. Also, you could stand to be somewhat more cordial, especially considering this is the Humor section. :p

S

Siyanor

Siyanor:

Your riddle still doesn't work, for the reason that I stated in my last post. Also, you could stand to be somewhat more cordial, especially considering this is the Humor section. :p

Tharius, you stated the same thing as Agent, and I explained it. And I'm never cordial, in any section of any forum, or in real life.

trb, another plant grows there in 100 years. I'm not supposed to give you every single detail in the riddle. That would make it way too easy.

Tharius

Occasionally Around
Reaction score
No, actually I stated the same thing as trb, not Agent, and I said it before trb did - and you didn't respond until your latest post.

If a new plant grows there, it's a new region, not the same one, according to your own previously stated definitions.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I have a riddle.
A man goes into a bar and drinks a shot of vodka. He then goes up to the 2nd floor, and jumps out a window. There is no rope, just a straight fall. Another drunk tries it and splatters on the ground. How did the 1st man survive?

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
I have a riddle.
A man goes into a bar and drinks a shot of vodka. He then goes up to the 2nd floor, and jumps out a window. There is no rope, just a straight fall. Another drunk tries it and splatters on the ground. How did the 1st man survive?
A few answers:
He didn't survive.
He got a hell of a lot luckier than the second guy.
He grabbed onto a ledge.
He landed on those awnings you see in the cartoons.
Someone caught him.
He had wings.
He had a jet-pack.

AgentPaper

From the depths, I come.
Reaction score
Did the window open over a roof?

Tharius

Occasionally Around
Reaction score
It's entirely possible to survive a fall from the second story of a building, you know... he doesn't have to be Superman.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.