Sci/Tech Rise of Apple and Facebook is putting Internet freedom at risk says Google co-founder

Furby

Current occupation: News poster
Reaction score
article-0-015A45020000044D-705_468x286.jpg

• 'Walled gardens' restricting possibilities for innovation online, says Sergey Brin
  • Governments worldwide - from Iran to the U.S. - also imposing restrictions on free speech online
  • Google could not have been created if the web was dominated by Facebook, Mr Brin says
  • He concedes that U.S. authorities ability to force Google to divulge users' data has eroded trust

The internet is facing its biggest ever threat, thanks in part of Facebook and Apple, the co-founder of Google has claimed.

Sergey Brin also said attempts by the entertainment industry to crack down on piracy have led to the U.S. using the same technology and approach it has criticised China and Iran for using.

With data stored on Facebook apps not searchable and only accessible to closed, restricted networks of users, the increasingly closed nature of the web risked stifline innovation, he said.

'There's a lot to be lost,' he said. 'For example all the information in apps — that data is not "crawlable" by web crawlers. You can't search it.'

Read more at DailyMail.co.uk.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Somebody says something negative about apple or facebook???

I am in!

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
What kind of data is there to gain from apps?
"This guy plays farmville, let's send him ads. for a tractor"

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
What kind of data is there to gain from apps?
"This guy plays farmville, let's send him ads. for a tractor"

well you know when you know how they always have the option to allow app to appear on your wall and etc... i think by doing that you're allowed the personal details they put on fb, such as music interests etc...

funny im currently doing a case study on fb in regards to marketing, this could come in really handy :D

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Don't agree to their terms and conditions and privacy rules? Don't use facebook, don't buy apple products. You won't die without them.

This privacy 'invasion' is simply for marketing. They do not care if you broke up with your girlfriend- AGAIN, and are now with her bestfriend. Or if you live in Seattle or Kansas or Russia. Paranoia. Oh and it's a free service, don't like it, don't use it like I said.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Don't agree to their terms and conditions and privacy rules? Don't use facebook, don't buy apple products. You won't die without them.

This privacy 'invasion' is simply for marketing. They do not care if you broke up with your girlfriend- AGAIN, and are now with her bestfriend. Or if you live in Seattle or Kansas or Russia. Paranoia. Oh and it's a free service, don't like it, don't use it like I said.

what about the paid internet that the ISP's monitor with deep packet inspection? even if you don't use the apps, some apps ask permission to see your friend's information - I don't want to hide my information from my friends, but I do want to hide it from apps that don't need it, since like you said so well, they shouldn't care

even if I don't use apple products, they have polluted the ecosystem by taking over things like e-book prices, forcing others to raise prices, and advertising to the point where people are OK with it, they use their non-standard chargers, and now those charges are bundled everywhere - etc.

I live in this world, not on some remote deserted island where I have no access to technology

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Download ebools for free. Not that hard. Advertisements are what run the world, what pays for television and paychecks of celebrities and janitors.
The minute someone goes single on facebook, this is what advertisements turn ti:
http://i.imgur.com/wYR7O.png

It's. World of technology, you can't beat it.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
I clicked on that picture and proceeded to clean my screen but there was this speck that wouldn't get off.
A while later, I realized that this "speck" was actually a mole (However that's spelled) on one of the women's faces >.>

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.