Risk: The Boardgame

Tonks

Reaction score
Recent:

Okay, I've decided to start this project. If anyone has any ideas, suggestions, offers, anything relating to this, I'd be happy to hear it :)

Game Name: Risk: The Boardgame

Game Type: Strategy / RPG

Game Format: Reign of Chaos

Description: Based on the classic board game, Risk. It's a World-Wide War! Dominate all the territories to gain World Domination and Victory.

Three types of troops:
Infantry - Worth one troop.
Cavalry - Worth five troops.
Artillery - Worth ten troops.

Attack territories via a text-based system. A Game Message list will appear of what countries you can attack from your selected position each turn. (If anyone has a better or simpler way of doing wars, please tell me :))
To attack you will type -attack [territoryname]. Type -roll to roll your dice. Attackers will have 3 available dice, Defenders will have 2 available dice.
I will try to include all game modes listed on the actual board game, and maybe a few custom modes. I will list these here later.

What I need from you: Ideas, suggestions, support. Maybe someone with advanced TFT Editor knowledge, with knowledge on how to convert TFTized maps to RoC.

TESTERS:
Mr_Zero
Surferkid993
alzidaney
denmax

-Please sign up if you would like to be a beta tester via replies or PM-

See the latest version: (Attachment, No Version Available)

Please feel free to criticize!

Old:
HTML:
Well, there I was, playing a game of Risk for the first time on RoC. 
I was rather pumped because I like the boardgame a lot, and I'm really good at it. 
I get in the game and I notice that we dun choose our countires. "Okay, different house rules" I think. I can live with that. 
Then I notice that no dice are being rolled, "Hmm.. Buggy?" 
THEN I realise that this game is almost nothing like actual risk. 
People just run around and mass armies to attack wherever whenever. 
At that point is when I left. That, in my opinion, isn't qualified to be named 'Risk'. 
It takes out the whole strategy part of the game.

So now I thought about it, and I think it would be pretty cool to have a wc3 game that's actually like the board game. 
I mean, Dice, Country Cards, Missions, all that good stuff.
Before I get started and expend my limited time on this, 
[B]what do you guys think of the idea? [/B]

Surferkid993

God surferkid993 = new God(awesome.me);
Reaction score
I think it is a terific idea. I love Risk.
Maybe you could use the terrain from the other one so that is already done. :D

GL!

Tonks

Reaction score
Surferkid993 said:
I think it is a terific idea. I love Risk.
Maybe you could use the terrain from the other one so that is already done. :D

GL!
Yea, I was thinking the same thing about the terrain. It really is a pain trying to create a decent World map. I remember helping Deathacus with WW3 maps.. lol.. It'd take like 30 minutes for me to get one country done, because I was so picky with the little things :p

Thanks for the feedback :)

G

Gravedigger

I think you should make it, Risk is fun but it would be more fun if you could play it in wc3 and also make sure to try to have all the different modes from the little booklet it comes with. Playing the normal mode over and over gets boring pretty quickly.

2evil

Reaction score
wow! I was actually planning on making a risk next (or at least help with one) cause i absolutely love the real game, turn-based and everything

if you need help with triggering, drop me a line :D

WastedSavior

A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
Reaction score
i think they made it the way they did because the way risk rolls out is alot slower, alot more complicated, and doesn't quite work out all the time, if someones mission is to kill a noob it wont last too long..?

Tonks

Reaction score
2evil said:
wow! I was actually planning on making a risk next (or at least help with one) cause i absolutely love the real game, turn-based and everything

if you need help with triggering, drop me a line :D

I'll be sure to talk to ya if I get lazy or something :)

i think they made it the way they did because the way risk rolls out is alot slower, alot more complicated, and doesn't quite work out all the time, if someones mission is to kill a noob it wont last too long..?

Well, the complications are part of the strategy. And I'll have a mode for 'Fast Game'. It is complicated, but not too much so. I think that most people can figure it out, and the ones that can't probably shouldn't be playing. :D
The missions aren't really that simple. Noobs have about as much of a chance as most people, at least in battle. All you really do for battling is roll.

Thanks for all the feedback! I think I'm going to start this project. :)

EDIT:
I think you should make it, Risk is fun but it would be more fun if you could play it in wc3 and also make sure to try to have all the different modes from the little booklet it comes with. Playing the normal mode over and over gets boring pretty quickly.
Yea. I'll be sure to include all the modes as best I can ;)

Surferkid993

Reaction score
So I came up with an idea, unfortunatly it is far off form the real risk, but it would add a little extra to the game.

(ofcourse this mode being optional)What I was thinking was that every time a unit attacks and lives they could gain exp. So lets say a normal militia has 20 life so a horseman would have 100 and a cannon 200. All attacks that you win hurt by 20. This way as you attack your health goes up making it possible to live through more that one fight when you lose, but keep attack same allong with no regeneration.

Slightly complex and far from actual risk, but could be fun. It would also incourage more attacking, thus making the game go faster.

Tonks

Reaction score
Surferkid993 said:
So I came up with an idea, unfortunatly it is far off form the real risk, but it would add a little extra to the game.

(ofcourse this mode being optional)What I was thinking was that every time a unit attacks and lives they could gain exp. So lets say a normal militia has 20 life so a horseman would have 100 and a cannon 200. All attacks that you win hurt by 20. This way as you attack your health goes up making it possible to live through more that one fight when you lose, but keep attack same allong with no regeneration.

Slightly complex and far from actual risk, but could be fun. It would also incourage more attacking, thus making the game go faster.
I think that you're thinking of the WC Risk game as it is now. I intend to make it more like Risk. It won't be running around with units whenever to attack wherever, it'll be just like the actual board game. The units will just represent lives (like the boardgame) and they won't actually attack.

Surferkid993

Reaction score
Ya, I was thinking that it would be a stretch. I never player the other version that is out now. It was just a thought instead of an automatic kill, it would take 40 health away when you lose a dice roll. I didn't want it to be actual fighting though, which is the way the other one is right? :D

PS: I'll be a tester. :D

Tonks

Reaction score
Surferkid993 said:
Ya, I was thinking that it would be a stretch. I never player the other version that is out now. It was just a thought instead of an automatic kill, it would take 40 health away when you lose a dice roll. I didn't want it to be actual fighting though, which is the way the other one is right? :D

PS: I'll be a tester. :D
I'm not really sure what you mean. The units don't really represent anything except the troop amount.
Yes, the other one is just running around the world map with units fighting.
(Signed you up :))

Surferkid993

Reaction score
Yes I know how risk is played. Lets forget the idea. :D It probobly was to far from actual risk and would make it alot like the one that is out now.

Tonks

Reaction score
·.• Bump! •.·​

Well, I noticed I hardly have time to do much at all, but I'm still working on this as often as I can.
If someone would like to help out and become co-creator, that would help a lot, since I don't have much time for this. If you'd like to work on this, tell me and I'll give you the details and what needs to be done.

-- Still need suggestions !! --

Surferkid993

Reaction score
I have a suggestion. I was playing Lux "Something or other" which is alot like a online risk game except with different maps. One of the options though was to have the territories increase in wealth over time.

So lets say Europe was worth 5 at the start, but each round that number increases 5% always rounding down. so then a few round in you would get 6 for owning a Europe. It made the game go faster aswell.

Another idea I got based off of this idea is that instead of every round the units given goes up, every round you own a territory the units given goes up. But, as soon as you lose it it resets to the starting number.

Hope you like them.

PS: Sorry, but I can't help co-create the map, even though I want to, my WC3 disc broke so it could be more than two weeks before I get a new one and Monopoly will take up all my time once I get it. :( But I would realy like to.

Tonks

Reaction score
Surferkid993 said:
I have a suggestion. I was playing Lux "Something or other" which is alot like a online risk game except with different maps. One of the options though was to have the territories increase in wealth over time.

So lets say Europe was worth 5 at the start, but each round that number increases 5% always rounding down. so then a few round in you would get 6 for owning a Europe. It made the game go faster aswell.

Another idea I got based off of this idea is that instead of every round the units given goes up, every round you own a territory the units given goes up. But, as soon as you lose it it resets to the starting number.

Hope you like them.

PS: Sorry, but I can't help co-create the map, even though I want to, my WC3 disc broke so it could be more than two weeks before I get a new one and Monopoly will take up all my time once I get it. :( But I would realy like to.
Awesome ideas. I'll add those in as a 'fast game' choice.
Thanks for the input :)

That's too bad, my disk broke once, but I got a program that allows you to play without a disk. (Won't talk about it here, it's probably a forbidden subject.)

Surferkid993

Reaction score
Hey Tonks!!

Do you need help, I'm a Dumb A**. My TFT disc broke but I can still use ROC which is all you have. :D

Tonks

Reaction score
Surferkid993 said:
Hey Tonks!!

Do you need help, I'm a Dumb A**. My TFT disc broke but I can still use ROC which is all you have. :D
lol, that's clever :p
I'll upload the map as soon as I finish what I'm doing.
What would be nice to have you do is the Dice system, and do you think there's any way in roc to have buttons on the screen available, but not dialog and not inhibiting screen movement?
Otherwise I'll create a text-based system.

(As you'll see, I haven't made much progress on it at all. School is time-consuming :()

Surferkid993

Reaction score
I have no idea. I haven't played around with ROC since it TFT came out. Can you use abilities that have no effect? :confused:

(yes it is, lucky me I have off this week. :D )

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.