Rotary controllers are on the way

coleshores

Reaction score
We just ordered the first batch of Polyface chips last week, about 100 of them to start out with since this is going to be such a small run of controllers.
It's a fun project. Creating controllers for a obscure console that has a controller shortage where it's killer app can make use of a rotary controller lol.

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Great news! Can't wait to finally play Tempest 3000 with a proper controller.

Reaction score
I'm very surprised to hear new Polyface chips are being made. I know some arguably outdated stuff like 6502 processors and Yamaha YM3812 FM Synths are still being made brand new, but for something as proprietary and single-purpose as this, I figured production would've died with VM Labs or Genesis Microchip.

coleshores

Reaction score
Not made, found. We have a near limitless supply of them. :)

Attachments

• IMG_4276.PNG
    IMG_4276.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 466

coleshores

Reaction score
I bought my first Nuon about a year ago and looked everywhere for a controller. I couldn't find a single one anywhere even calling places that had them listed at one point. After coming up empty handed, in my research I found out about Eltoozero(Lee)'s rotary controller project & that he had a prototype. I read that Polyface chips where the primary road block to actually making it happen so I quietly spent time tracking those down. I found a supplier in China that potentially had them along with other components like the Ares 3 chip.
After speaking with them, I reached out to Lee and I we figured we would give it a shot & ordered the 5 in the photo. If it's an inventory error and we get something different then it's no big deal.
After about a month they arrived and low and behold... they do exist!
I sent them off to Lee for testing and they work great.
We are good to go on this project and quite literally in the home strech of the PCB. It's going to be extremely affordable because it's a kit. I know there have been some concerns there.
We are selling the PCB and people can put it together like any arcade controller since it takes the same HAPPs/Sanwa type switches.
Or at least thats the idea. I personally may make some as complete units depending on wither or not there is enough interest, however those would be considerably more expensive due to labor of course.
This is mostly a preservation project to help with shortage. :)

Reaction score
Hey Cole, have either you or Lee tried this prototype with any of the other games? I know this controller is mostly for Tempest 3000, but I am curious as to how well it works with other titles, if it works at all. I'm particularly curious about Freefall 3050 AD since several of the genuine controllers don't work properly with that one.

doctorclu

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Since you have the Polyface chips I am wondering if the PC Wingman controllers, or other controllers, could be hacked to work with the Nuon.

That said, still looking forward to picking up at least one rotary controller at some point. :D

coleshores

Reaction score
Just email me your name on here and once they are available I'll reach out to everyone. :) .
@doctorclu , indeed if someone where to trace back the leads of a Nuon controller, print a replica they could make their own with these polyface chips.
These are the same that are in every nuon controller.

Also, just an update. Lee has finalized the PCB as of last week! I plan to call him today to see where we proceed with having them made.

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Awesome - it will be weird to go back from playing Tempest 4000 to Tempest 3000 :)

larsoncc

Reaction score
Just email me your name on here and once they are available I'll reach out to everyone. :) .
@doctorclu , indeed if someone where to trace back the leads of a Nuon controller, print a replica they could make their own with these polyface chips.
These are the same that are in every nuon controller.

Also, just an update. Lee has finalized the PCB as of last week! I plan to call him today to see where we proceed with having them made.
Um, dumb question - how do I get your email to give you my email? Don't see it in your profile or anything like that.

coleshores

Reaction score
Boards are ordered and on their way. ;)
Thank you Lee(braains.net) for making it happen.

Attachments

• IMG_4576.PNG
    IMG_4576.PNG
    477.6 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_4577.PNG
    IMG_4577.PNG
    316.6 KB · Views: 329
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.