Rotating the camera around a unit/point?

Trithilon-V2

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have been working on a machinima and I need to script a Camera system to record a lot of clips.

The problem is the fact that,

It seems the camera Rotation ranges from -180 to 180.

My logic to the problem was :

Event : Every 0.01 seconds

Actions :

- Camera - Set Rotation of "Cam1" to ((Rotation of Cam1) + (10.0))
- Camera - Apply camera object Rotation (Cam1 Rotation) for player 1 over 0.0 seconds with Existing Velocity% initial velocity and 10% deceleration

But this simply doesnt rotate. Instead it occilates between 3 angles, 90, -90 and 180.
I dont know whats going on. :S

I had been able to make it work using a variable that used to act as
the angle for rotation and increasing the Value of the variable.

But... I want this to work on any camera, fetch the current rotation angle of the camera and then turn the camera by adding more rotation.

Any body know how to do it?

Also, is it possible to obtain the position of the camera in the trigger editor?

Terrabull

Veteran Member (Done that)
Reaction score
over 0.0 seconds

Change this to a number of seccond and it will no longer jump.
I also suggest you stop using 0.01 seconds, which means the camera will move 100 times a second, far faster than you are planning for.
Also once it gets to 180 it's reached the maximum rotation, so it will stop rotating. You would need to reset it to -180 to begin again.

Trithilon-V2

Reaction score
OK....

I tried that, but it didnt give me any results.

I have attached a map showing this problem, Can anybody please have a look at this?
Here's what did in my triggers :

Code:
Set Camera
    Events
        Game - Map initialization
    Local Variables
    Conditions
    Actions
        Camera - Apply Camera 001 for player 1 over 0.0 seconds with Existing Velocity% initial velocity, 10% deceleration, and Include Target

Code:
Rotation
    Events
        Timer - Every 1.0 seconds of Game Time
    Local Variables
    Conditions
    Actions
        Camera - Set Camera 001 Rotation to ((Camera 001 Rotation) + 15.0)
        Camera - Apply camera object Rotation (Camera 001 Rotation) for player 1 over 1.0 seconds with Existing Velocity% initial velocity and 10% deceleration
        Debug - Display (Combine ("The Rotation for Camera001 is ", (Text((Camera 001 Rotation)) with Any Precision decimal places))) as debug output using Type 1, and Do display it in the game window

Help? :(

Attachments

• Camera Rotation.zip
    30.3 KB · Views: 277

Builder Bob

Live free or don't
Reaction score
Use a variable to hold the rotation. Like this:

Attachments

• Camera Rotation.rar
    23.7 KB · Views: 303

Trithilon-V2

Reaction score
Yes... I have already done that and it works perfectly.

But that reduces the scalability of a system (esp if I have a lot of cams) if you have to predefine everything with variables. Isn't there a way to do it without variables?
Just setting the rotation of the cam everytime and then reading its angle from the cam properties?

Thanks for the help man :)

Mindless

Reaction score
I believe there is a trigger called Get Camera Yaw, which returns the rotation of the current camera of the player in degrees. Is this what you need?

NOTE: Yaw means the rotation in the Z (upward) axis.

P.S. If you want the rotation of the camera in the XY (horizontal plane), there is another trigger called Get Camera Pitch.

Trithilon-V2

Reaction score
I believe there is a trigger called Get Camera Yaw, which returns the rotation of the current camera of the player in degrees. Is this what you need?

NOTE: Yaw means the rotation in the Z (upward) axis.

P.S. If you want the rotation of the camera in the XY (horizontal plane), there is another trigger called Get Camera Pitch.

Where can you find the "Get Camera Yaw"?
Where can I find the "Get Camera Pitch"?

Sorry for such a late reply... I was ill. :(
I desperately need to find these to work any further on my camera system. I have attached a map that shows the problems i detection/difference in between the rotation and the yaw of the camera.

Attachments

• CameraWIP.rar
    35.2 KB · Views: 262

Mindless

Reaction score
I've edited your map; take a look. You can make the camera rotate around the Ultralisk you placed by pressing the WASD keys. Also take a look at the triggers I've added, it should be independent of any variables and just based on the current view of the player.

Attachments

• CameraWIP (Edited by Mindless).rar
    38.5 KB · Views: 310

Trithilon-V2

Reaction score
I've edited your map; take a look. You can make the camera rotate around the Ultralisk you placed by pressing the WASD keys. Also take a look at the triggers I've added, it should be independent of any variables and just based on the current view of the player.

Thanks a lot kind sir, sorry for checking it out late... I had left this thread for dead :p
I use a similar approach for my upcoming Free Camera system that I was working on all these days. It looks pretty well...
I shall be uploading it soon as soon as I have all the features I had planned for the first version.

Thanks again for your help :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.