RPG centered around dungeons

Would you play this kind of map?

• Total voters

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
What do you think about an RPG map centered around dungeons? What I mean is no more walking around in the forest killing everything you come across and stealing their items, but instead having several dungeons to go to no matter what your level that involve quests and plenty of boss fights?

It would require active involvement in the combat, however, rather than just moving around the map and auto-attacking things. The dungeons would be made so that they are just barely completable at the levels where they give adequate loot and XP.

Would you play this kind of map?

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
As long as it supports multiplayer, I'm game! :thup:

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
Fun boss fights are fun, as is shiny loot.

It seems that you understand what makes an RPG unbearably boring, so props to you.

Give it a high replayability value though, I would say - make lots of bosses, or make the bosses have abilities that they don't use all the time to make each time you fight them slightly different or more challenging.

Just some ideas :p.

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
I'm going to make lots of "rare bosses" that have like a 20% chance of showing up, a bunch of events that can happen during the dungeons.

I'm going to put around 3-8 "boss points" per dungeon, places where you will always find a boss of some kind, but the bosses change around.

I'm also going to make it so depending on your selection of heroes and how you interact with things you get different opportunities.

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
1. Will it be multi-player? Or Single-Player.
2. Will the camera follow the Hero? I hate maps with that.

I like Single-Player RPGs, I can alwasy cheat :) (If i'm losing.

Sui-cookie

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
hmmm...
i do enjoy having dungeons, and the randomed bosses (which is an incredible idea) but i also enjoy having a forest to purge O-o

in most rpg's theres and incredible max lvl that takes FOREVER to get to. and when ur in those high lvls you almost never actually gain a lvl b4 everyone wants to leave...which makes the game u just played useless. and so i hope for a combination of dungeons and random forests suitable for afk (so that way you can do something in the hour and a half your trying to get to lvl 148 O_O.

also:
"I'm going to put around 3-8 "boss points" per dungeon" minibosses or acually boses? and how are u going to do the boss fights? reset the dungeon after they die by transporting the heros out? (cuz if theres more than one boss i dont think that will work)

off topic:
"Somebody said Naturo?" x) nice
edit: AHAHAHH THERES 5 VOTES FOR NARUTO (like 1/3 of total votes xD

"2. Will the camera follow the Hero? I hate maps with that." idk some maps its alright, but usually im with you...gets irritating when the camera is flying in all directions and your getting jumped by like 40 freaking bandits that were invis a few seconds ago o-O

istar

Reaction score
i hope there is more randomness to it
and i hope that the creepz sort of gain exp, if you die to it once, you cant just level a little and get revenge, the creep will sort of gain level for killing you then, and became stronger
maybe the creepz continously get stronger over time
maybe some quest that weaken/stop strengthening all creepz in that area for a period of time, kinda like the monolith map wc3 gave'
also get some 'elite' creepz that can organise other creepz to occasionally raid the town if you dont keep them in control, hehe

Sui-cookie

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
yes, ive seen a map with such a system.. hold on leme look into my repetu-a
yeah i couldnt find it... though im fairly sure it was a vilage builder or something, where after so many kills a unit would "level up" and gain atk, def ect.

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
1. Will it be multi-player? Or Single-Player.
2. Will the camera follow the Hero? I hate maps with that.

I like Single-Player RPGs, I can alwasy cheat :) (If i'm losing.

It will be multiplayer, and there will be several camera modes: Third Person, Overhead (following), and Free Camera.

Now, as for the proposed max level, I think I'm going to set it at 40, or maybe 50. It won't take longer to get to a higher level than a lower level in terms of needing more EXP, but you will have to kill harder and harder things in order to get the EXP you need because lower level creatures won't give it to you anymore.

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

I mean that when you are higher level, lower level dungeons won't give you any XP.

Legacyspy

Reaction score
I think randomly generated dungeons, in both layout and enemies would be cool.
As long as you have unique/interesting(in terms of gameplay) enemies and dungeons.

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
I'm not going to do randomly generated dungeons. That would make things really hard to program and make look good at the same time. I'm just going to variate bosses and loot.

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
Would it involve extremely fast thinking? Like in AoS and melee maps, perfect micro-management.

Like, you can't just order an attack, and do nothing for the next 10 seconds.

EDIT: I'll just say it, where will you play it? Everything is overruled by DotA Allstars =[

Private TheHelper hamachi server?

Flatus

Reaction score
ORPG maps with dungeons are probably the best ones. It's much more fun to work towards common goal, which is, beating the dungeon, and after that go to level up a bit with new items or go do another dungeon.

Boss fights especially are what makes dungeons actually dungeons. Naturally ones where you have to do something else than tank and spank, are so much more fun. Ones where you have to figure out the tactic by trying like 3-6 times are even better! :D

Hopefully you get something done soon, I'm really interested to see your ideas :>

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.