Sci/Tech Russian billionaire reveals real-life 'avatar' plan; will upload his brain to a hologram.

mushroom911

I think I should change my avatar
Reaction score
However if my idea of how the "soul" works is correct this procedure should not affect it.

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
he will basically have a new, seperate self which supposedly would always be "him" at that exact moment, I find it hard to believe that electronic conciousness could grow
Why? If we've got the technology to download the consciousness into a machine in the first place, why don't you think we'd have the technology to grant it the capacity to learn new data, too? The biggest issue will just be attaching the right sensory peripherals to the machine brain that recreate the same sensory input functions as our eyes, ears, tongue, nose and nerves. Honestly, compared to the prior task, the latter seems like something we could accomplish today with AI.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Hilarious thread... Well, so I "continue" munching the popcorn!

WildTurkey

Previously known as giv_me_rep
Reaction score
It is similar to the question raised when discussing modern teleporting theory, where each individual molecule is destroyed and recreated at another position therefore killing the original you and creating a new you at a different location. Would you die from this? We don't know :(

The few simple structures we can do this with are unable to communicate this with us

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
It is similar to the question raised when discussing modern teleporting theory, where each individual molecule is destroyed and recreated at another position therefore killing the original you and creating a new you at a different location. Would you die from this? We don't know :(

The few simple structures we can do this with are unable to communicate this with us

So we might as well try and see what happens. There would also be additional benefits, as we'd have the capacity to make attempts at forming new peripheral sense and locomotion.

WildTurkey

Previously known as giv_me_rep
Reaction score
So we might as well try and see what happens. There would also be additional benefits, as we'd have the capacity to make attempts at forming new peripheral sense and locomotion.

Further question is if he were to be hacked and subsequently erased, would this constitute murder?

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Depends on how thoroughly erased he was. Like, just regular delete or magnet over exposed hard drive erased?

FireCat

Reaction score
There is no such thing as "Immortality" Seriously, to be immortal... means that you have
to watch everyone die "as you live forever In your own body." You can't transfer your consciousness to a fucking avatar.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as "Immortality" Seriously, to be immortal... means that you have
to watch everyone die "as you live forever In your own body." You can't transfer your consciousness to a fucking avatar.

That's actually what we define "immortality" as. If "immortality" is something similar, but it's not like what you've described, then the way we define it would radically change, given enough evidence that there indeed exists the presence of "Immortality".

KMilz

Reaction score
You can't transfer your consciousness to a fucking avatar.
Why the hell not? If you could possibly describe why it can't be done then I'd give you the benefit of the doubt, but given that you couldn't even begin to go into it, I'd ask that you stop spewing bullshit as fact.

FireCat

Reaction score
Seriously, the crazy Billionaire, could make millions "hologram, robot or whatever" with a copy of his fantasy brain. Which one would have his consciousness? Only the original.

KMilz

Reaction score
No, they'd all have his consciousness, and they'd likely all be separately sentient individuals. There's no reason you couldn't upload the same consciousness into countless robo-brains, unless the soul is a real thing and it's directly tied to your mind and who you are.

I didn't know you were religious, Firecat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.