Same-sex marriage

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Personally, I don't see why same-sex marriage is deemed so horribly wrong by some. As trb said, it's two people coming together to share mutual love, and as such, it really shouldn't matter if they are of the same sex or not.

Sorry but we don't want Spore creatures living here.
Well, the likelihood of that happening? Difference of species would imply that any offspring would be infertile, so that generation would (probably) be the end of that (unless next generation continued...)

trb92

Throwing science at the wall to see what sticks
Reaction score
Oninuva: Good job, you can quote random scripture. Ignorance at it's finest.
In case you aren't away, the bible is not the literal word of god. Not everything in it is relevant to the world today. Those are very good examples of scriptures that don't mean a damn thing in todays world.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
In case you aren't away, the bible is not the literal word of God. Not everything in it is relevant to the world today. Those are very good examples of scriptures that don't mean a damn thing in todays world.

The bible is God breathed. Last time I checked, you swear on the bible and America is under God in the pledge of allegiance.

trb92

Reaction score
"Last time I checked, you swear on the bible and America is under God in the pledge of allegiance. "
Pledge of Allegiance applies only to Americans. I have no such pledge.
In some Canadian courts, you even have the option to skip swearing on the bible if you do not read the bible in your religion.

Doesn't America have freedom of religion? If they do, they're breaking their own rule by forcing people to swear on the bible. If they don't, they are falsely marketing themselves as land of the free.

>"The bible is God breathed."
That's the kind of attitude that makes all the religion debates. The crusades, the wars over religions, all of it is caused by attitudes like this.

Seb!

Reaction score
Oninuva - If the laws of the Old Testament were all followed to the letter:

1. Slavery would be allowed
2. Those who shave their sideburns would be killed
3. Those who curse would be killed
4. If you work on the sabbath you would be killed
5. Wearing more than one type of cloth (polyester and cotton) would be illegal

You are everything that is wrong with this world.

Dr.Jack

That's Cap'n to you!
Reaction score
Guys let's avoid the flamings and personal insults. We are all on the same side here, so please keep the debate constructive, contributive and peaceful. :)

Oninuva

Reaction score
"Last time I checked, you swear on the bible and America is under God in the pledge of allegiance. "
Pledge of Allegiance applies only to Americans. I have no such pledge.
In some Canadian courts, you even have the option to skip swearing on the bible if you do not read the bible in your religion.

Doesn't America have freedom of religion? If they do, they're breaking their own rule by forcing people to swear on the bible. If they don't, they are falsely marketing themselves as land of the free.

>"The bible is God breathed."
That's the kind of attitude that makes all the religion debates. The crusades, the wars over religions, all of it is caused by attitudes like this.

Crusade was caused by greed. You think all those soldiers went to fight for their religion? They went for riches

Oninuva

Reaction score
Oninuva - If the laws of the Old Testament were all followed to the letter:

1. Slavery would be allowed
2. Those who shave their sideburns would be killed
3. Those who curse would be killed
4. If you work on the sabbath you would be killed
5. Wearing more than one type of cloth (polyester and cotton) would be illegal

You are everything that is wrong with this world.

You are ignorant, do you read the bible yourself? Have you been to church lately :nuts:

trb92

Reaction score
"Everyone is entitled to their own religion so leave me alone."
I'm not trying to attack your religion. I apologise for offending you, which it seems I did.

>You are ignorant. Have you been to church lately :nuts:
His references are just as valid as yours. He's showing a good point: If your going to argue against same-sex marriage because the bible forbids it, you should also support the positions he named. Be for slavery, against shaving, etc...

Dr.Jack

That's Cap'n to you!
Reaction score
Oninuva and trb92 I must insist you stop spamming this debate. Your personal conflict does nothing but ruin it. I don't want to ask a moderator to lock the thread, there are a few of us that are still enjoying it.

Thanks.

Seb!

Reaction score
Well, you brought up certain passages in the OT as persuasive evidence. Why do you think this justifies your point?

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
if gay people want to get married fine, but if they want have children then it should be more control about that.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
hmm i would say what i think but judging from what happened earlier on i dont feel like getting flamed

so i will go with this

as long as they dont involve me i couldnt care less

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
In case you aren't away, the bible is not the literal word of god. Not everything in it is relevant to the world today.

He quoted very relevant scripture, which had EVERYTHING to do with the topic. People were bringing up religion as a reason that they don't support gay marriage, and he was supporting their point.

The Bible IS the word of God (that's one of the names for it). Sure, some of things in the old testament are no longer relevant today, but that's because Jesus died so that we would no longer have to make animal sacrifices. That is also part of the Bible. The Old Testament still has some things that still pertain, such as the 10 commandments.

Those are very good examples of scriptures that don't mean a damn thing in todays world.

One of his quotes was:

Leviticus 20:13

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

There is also another verse in the bible very near the same place, but I'm sure even you will agree with me that this is relevant today:

Leviticus 18:23

Also you shall not have intercourse with any animal to be defiled with it, nor shall any woman stand before an animal to mate with it; it is a perversion./QUOTE]

Gross, I know. However, they are both near the exact same spot in the bible. They are both relevant today.

Seb!

Reaction score
Did you read my post? That portion of the Bible was written by an ancient and ignorantly misguided tribe that has no application in today's time.

Reaction score
>>So if darwins evolution theory is true they would die off, wouldn't they?

That's if being homosexual is a genetic trait, which as far as I know isn't known yet.

And also a lot of homosexual people do have children since they don't "come out" till after they already have kids.

They have found genes associated with male homosexuality in the past, and there is a reason these genes do not disappear. In one case, for example, it was found that a gene that contributed to homosexuality in males lead to increased fertility in females.

There is an article about it here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article493668.ece.

You are ignorant, do you read the bible yourself? Have you been to church lately :nuts:

If you read through the old testament, you will find a lot of questionable and hateful stuff, because the bible reflects the customs of the time during which it was written. You may believe that it was inspired by the word of god, but that does not mean that everything written in it (especially the OT) is endorsed by god or is morally correct.

Deuteronomy said:
22:20 But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:

22:21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.

Stuff like this doesn't have a place in civilized society, and neither does prejudice against gays.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Did you read my post? That portion of the Bible was written by an ancient and ignorantly misguided tribe that has no application in today's time.

That sounded a bit naive. Please do some more research and you'll learn that the Bible is a great piece of literature for both the spiritual and nonspiritual reader.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
Deuteronomy said:
22:21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.

Stuff like this doesn't have a place in civilized society,

Yes, I agree. That's because it is not for us to judge, as Jesus illustrated in John 8, 3-11:

3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto Him a woman taken in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, 4 they said unto Him, "Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act Now Moses in the law commanded us that such should be stoned but what sayest thou?" 6 This they said testing Him, that they might have cause to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and with His finger wrote on the ground, as though He heard them not. 7 So when they continued asking Him, He lifted Himself up and said unto them, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her." 8 And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. 9 And they who heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the eldest even unto the last, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had lifted Himself up and saw none but the woman, He said unto her, "Woman, where are those thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee?" 11 She said, "No man, Lord." And Jesus said unto her, "Neither do I condemn thee; go, and sin no more." (John 8:3-11 KJ21)

TheDamien said:
They have found genes associated with male homosexuality in the past, and there is a reason these genes do not disappear. In one case, for example, it was found that a gene that contributed to homosexuality in males lead to increased fertility in females.

We don't know everything. We are still learning. We could find out that this gene actually determines some part of a personality, that is subtle and also found in tons of people that are not gay.

and neither does prejudice against gays.

Prejudice is a very hard thing to control, and some "prejudices" are true more often than not.

When I meet a gay person, I do have some reluctance, due to bad experiences with other gay people I have met, but if they are not putting it out openly, I can put aside our differences enough to be friends.

Nobody's perfect, and everyone has prejudices.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.