Sci/Tech Samsung announces a massive 256GB microSD card

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Samsung has just announced a 256GB microSD card, raising the bar for storage on the format. SanDisk recently released a 200GB microSD card — that up until now was the highest capacity microSD card — back in March, but it'll have to settle for second place for now.

The EVO Plus 256GB microSD card has read and write speeds of 95MB/s and 90MB/s respectively, and can store up to 55,200 photos, 12 hours of 4K video, 33 hours of full HD video, or 23,500 songs. Samsung says the card will come with a 10-year limited warranty and will be available in over 50 countries beginning in June for $249.99.

Source. (The Verge)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Statistically speaking there is always a certain percentage of goods which will not last that long because of manufacturing errors, etc. 2 years is usually short enough so that manufacturing errors might not become apparent. But within 10 years you will probably notice all of them.
If their SD cards have the same error rate as the regular hard drive this will mean they have to replace about 15 percent of all units sold. And of those replaced there might be certain goods they have to replace again and again.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Yeah, but with that 15% they will make a lot of money. I don't know what the manufacturing costs are, but with a ten year warranty and significant demand, the costs would get driven down, and probably take the market from SanDisk as far as high capacity MSD cards go. So a 15% replacement rate on average isn't troubling, especially if it helps create the demand. In the event that manufacturing costs were static and there were other comparative cards were easily available, it might be less fruitful.

Plus, the average user isn't going to be rewriting it constantly, so it's doubtful that they will notice a significant amount of them, and after like a year or something the probability of return goes down quite significantly. Where did you get 15% at by the way? Is that an average fail rate or something?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
But does a 10 year warranty really change your buying behavior? Do you see the biggest badassesed SD card and go "oh my god! It has a 10 year warranty!!111 I must has it!1oneone".
I supposed it wouldnt make no difference to give it a 5 year warranty, or 3 year warranty.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
But does a 10 year warranty really change your buying behavior? Do you see the biggest badassesed SD card and go "oh my god! It has a 10 year warranty!!111 I must has it!1oneone".
I supposed it wouldnt make no difference to give it a 5 year warranty, or 3 year warranty.

honestly it might - now it would have to be implemented correctly, but if the device only came out in 2016, and it dies on me in 2024, then that means it must be under warranty, and I don't need to dig through my e-mail in an attempt to find a receipt for it - I can just return it under warranty, which I would likely actually do since even if the capacity isn't anything impressive 10 years from now, it's likely still going to be useful for some purpose (I still use small <2gb flash drives for "moving stuff" rather than "storing stuff")

Varine

Reaction score
If you're buying in bulk it does. Not your average Wal-Mart goer, but where are most of their sales? To the average user running documents from school and home, or the office with matriculate records and massive amounts of data transfers, requiring a few thousand at a time?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're buying in bulk it does. Not your average Wal-Mart goer, but where are most of their sales? To the average user running documents from school and home, or the office with matriculate records and massive amounts of data transfers, requiring a few thousand at a time?
Maybe they have a different contract for bulk purchasing for business consumers.

Varine

Reaction score
I doubt it; normally large scale manufacturers don't distribute directly to consumers. Contracts are a bitch.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.