Sci/Tech Samsung Galaxy S3 is now the most pre-ordered gadget in history at nine million

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
article-0-12EC021E000005DC-685_306x503.jpg

In the history of gadgets, none has picked up such an army of fans before launch. The Samsung Galaxy S3 has already received nine million pre-orders before launch - even with few people getting to play on Android's latest smartphone until it arrives in the UK on May 29. When the phone arrives, it will instantly become the fastest selling gadget in history, beating out the iPhone 4S's four million units sold in three days.

It also tops the first iPad's two million tablets in two months, and the Microsoft Kinect system - which allows you to wave at your television via the Xbox 360 games console - which shifted 2.5 million units in 25 days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
I might get this phone next year when my contract ends. But I agree with Slapshot. I won't order it until good reviews come out and I've seen it myself.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Apple sold four million iPhone 4S' to consumers in three days, Samsung's numbers are pre-orders for over 100 carriers -- worldwide I presume, of which no one knows how many actual units are being sold to consumers.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
Of course, but the article is still comparing Samsung's numbers to Apple's, even though they're not really comparable. Apple had four million 4S' in the hands of consumers in three days, Samsung is just selling these to carriers -- who knows how many will have bought them by the first, second, third day, etc.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
For "1$" I would preorder one LOL Otherwise there's no way I would ever!

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Of course, but the article is still comparing Samsung's numbers to Apple's, even though they're not really comparable. Apple had four million 4S' in the hands of consumers in three days, Samsung is just selling these to carriers -- who knows how many will have bought them by the first, second, third day, etc.
Where does it say that these are simply sales to carriers?

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
Never heard of iSheep before.
Nowadays, I refrain from having the OS debate (for ANY device); it never ends well for anyone.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
For those lazy to search "iSheep".

I am stumped with this new vocabulary. And to be honest, there's nothing in common with knowing all Apple products and an Apple fan (person).
No, no, it's somewhat of an insult, meaning: someone who mindlessly or blindly buys Apple products or follows Apple.
Where does it say that these are simply sales to carriers?

Here:

Most of the orders will have come through network carriers across the world, based on customer pre-orders, upgrades and anticipated demand.

I'm sure they'll sell quite a few to customers, but they won't be selling 9 million in one day -- they're going to the carriers. I read another article about this, and it stated specifically that over 100 carriers were pre-ordering.

Never heard of iSheep before.
Nowadays, I refrain from having the OS debate (for ANY device); it never ends well for anyone.

And that's not a bad idea unless both parties are just interested in a debate about it. There's no point arguing that someone change their device (or OS) when they're happy with what they have.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks to Icyculyr for clearing up the "iSheep". Now I know what it means, I won't use that word then.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
whatever it is, it applies to those who pre-ordered this phone.. and anyone who pre-orders in general

Unless the person has had past experience with either the phone or its predecessors and knows the phone?

I preordered Diablo 3 because I loved Diablo and Diablo 2. And just because I am frustrated a LOT while playing Diablo 3 doesn't make me a bSheep (Blizzard Sheep). I love Blizzard, sure. I have all of their PC games from StarCraft to World of WarCraft. But I like all of them. Just because my past experience with 11 (unpreordered) games (that includes Expansions) and I preordered one new one based on past experience doesn't make me a bSheep.

If people who loved all of the previous Apple products preordered the new phone I wouldn't jump ahead and call them an aSheep unless it was literally their first or second Apple product they've preordered.

Though, the same goes for Android products.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Unless the person has had past experience with either the phone or its predecessors and knows the phone?

you can't predict the future from past experience - but you can believe whatever you want.

with D3 there was a beta and quite a bit of information out already, while as on a phone, stuff like how easy it is to root and minor things that can kill it won't be available - for example people who pre-ordered the iphone 4 were NOT aware of the antennae glitch

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
you can't predict the future from past experience - but you can believe whatever you want.
Nope, but it does give you a good indication of where things going, and what to expect.
with D3 there was a beta and quite a bit of information out already, while as on a phone, stuff like how easy it is to root and minor things that can kill it won't be available - for example people who pre-ordered the iphone 4 were NOT aware of the antennae glitch
Yeah but anyone who wasn't happy with it could return it. That aside, I don't think pre-ordering something makes you any kind of sheep -- if it looks good, then I don't see why someone shouldn't pre-order it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.