Samsung Nuon DVD-n501 not working repair via drive swap

midnight8

NUON & Atari VCS Forum Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As you can see in the video I will post a link to I had a Samsung dvd-n501 that had a disc error, then it just would not stay closed, it just acted like there was no disc there at all. After some reading here and digging up service manuals I decided on a Samsung dvd-m101 as a donor dvd player to try a swap out. The 2 service manuals showed identical parts list on the drive. I found the drive looked identical when I got it, so me and jy son attempted the swap. Really simple. I don't really do tutorials so I just recorded the process and added some info to the video through text screens. I sped up the repair part so it would not be so long. Me using a screwdriver is boring. lol. Whole process took 20 minutes. I want to say I had to remove around 6 screws from each machine anda couple wire connections. I actually removed more wires than I needed too, but it made things easy to deal with. The thing works perfectly. dvd-m101 andc dvd-m102 dvd players seem reasonable cheap so are good models to chose when doing a swap. Back to being able to play Tempest on this machine.

Youtube video.

midnight8

NUON & Atari VCS Forum Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, I have found a downside to the repair. The system seems to no longer play the homebrew games, just comes up and says no disc. Ugh. Still much better than not having the system, but this problem makes no sense to me. That all being said, I dont think I ever put a homebrew in this one before it messed up. So, I can't prove they worked on it before, they do on my other 501

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you ever fix this so it plays homebrew? Does the firmware update still work with the new drive?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.