SC2 Premium Maps...

Im_On_56k

Hm...
Reaction score
This will be interesting.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about.

There are two types of maps in SC2. Free and premium. Premium maps you have to pay for and part of the price goes towards the map creator.

Now how much goes towards the map creator? It better be damn near 100%. (I am not even for the fact that there will be premium maps, I am hoping Blizzard won't get more greedy.)

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
It's not going to happen. Nobody has ever made money off of a map (Directly), and the way battle net works they simply can't.

Say you have 400 people who all make premium maps right? Say each one gets downloaded and hosted once. Thats (Assuming the player limit is ten). Is now 4000 people with theses maps. Because I doubt more than one person is going to pay for a "premium" map. (Define Premium a little better).

Im_On_56k

Hm...
Reaction score
I'm watching the Blizzcon stream. It is happening. We are talking about Battle.Net 2.0 here.

From the limited info Blizzard revealed about premium maps. They are just maps you have to pay for to be able to play. The editor has a new feature called 'publish'. Publish uploads your map to battle.net to their own database list. Meaning you don't have to host a map for people to play it.

Now I am assuming you don't download maps anymore from a person hosting the map. It just downloads the map directly from the Blizzard server, since publishing your map uploads it. Maps listed at premium would require you to - well purchase the map before downloading it from the server.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Thats gonna suck. All the maps will be premium then. Everyone will want to get paid for making wc3 maps and half the people won't buy the maps.

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
So does the person who hosts the map have to pay, or everybody who downloads the map have to payÉ(Won`t let me do question mark so this É is now one)
Because I`m not going to pay for any map on battle.net, which means it looks like LAN (Oh wait there might not be any) And single player are all that there is for people with little disposable income.
The way your saying it is, for premium maps, you have to pay to play them, which means everyone will want to make money and make their maps premium. Which means people that don`t want to play get screwed over.
This isn`t whats going to happen, blizzard is smarter then that.

Im_On_56k

Hm...
Reaction score
Everything I am going to say below is just an assumption.

You can host a game or join a game by normal. If you attempt to join a free game everything is probably going to be how it is now.

If you join a game classified as premium it checks if your battle.net account has purchased this game, not checking if your computer has it on the local hard drive. If you have purchased it continues like it normally would now.

You download the maps from the Blizzard server now, and not from another player.

The way your saying it is, for premium maps, you have to pay to play them, which means everyone will want to make money and make their maps premium. Which means people that don`t want to play get screwed over.
Chances are you will have to be a certain age and have some form of payment address associated to your account. Also Blizzard might do some sort of review process not just letting any map be 'premium'. A lot of people will want to make money though.

Which means people that don`t want to play get screwed over.
What? You mean pay? If you don't pay you don't get to play the premium map. Not exactly screwing you over.
This isn`t whats going to happen, blizzard is smarter then that.
As this is the last point of your paragraph, what isn't going to happen? You mean premium maps won't happen? They are. Look at the link I posted a bit ago.

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
Shacknews said:
"Think about it like this: something like Defense of the Ancients, I think, would be something like a free map because it doesn't have a lot of original content," he added,

I love how they bashed DotA.

†ALPHA†

Reaction score
I have mixed reactions. It sounds like a fantastic way to encourage quality maps and mods. With the motivation of money available to them, maybe some modders will actually finish their projects..

But it also sounds totally lame. I'm cheap and hate paying for things that I can legally get for free. For me, at least, the map is gonna have to be ridiculously mind-blowing for me to pay to get it.

Also, I wonder how Blizz will weed out the crap maps (or maybe they won't?) and ensure that people don't get bugged maps and mods.

In the end - no harm done. We still get free maps.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
Thats gonna suck. All the maps will be premium then. Everyone will want to get paid for making wc3 maps and half the people won't buy the maps.

i wouldnt make my maps premium...
sure i MIGHT make a few bucks, but if i needed money id get a job, which i am soon.
plus, i think "this is utter bullshit we shouldnt make maps cost money". making my maps premium would make me a hypocrite(spelling?).

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Wow.

First they are making 3 games instead of just 1. And now this.

They are charging for everything. Are they not satisfied with all the money they're making from WoW?

I'm thinking of not getting SC2.... They'll prolly do something similar to drive me away from D3 as well.

Good thing I'm starting to grow out of gaming.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
oh god.... I swear in the name of God that if Blizzard gets THAT greedy, wanting to make money even off the mappers, I swear, that I shall leave starcraft II for ever. Diablo will keep me good company...

First of all, I am against the idea for premium maps. Why ? Well for one thing this just sucks. The reason I became a mapper is because it sounded like something noble, you know, you spend time and you work in order to make something good for other people ?
But now, with this bilizzard will corrupt the mappers. One man can't change anything. It is just not possible. If I am not mistaiking each update we get, at least I, get the idea that SCII is gonna suck....

Besides, if we have to pay by credit card, most of the players(including myself) are too young to have a credit card.... seriously,

The only way I can support the "pay to play maps" is if the so called premium maps first get tested... like there are some people, that test the map and review it and if it is worthy then it will be a premium map. That perhaps I would support.

So, what do you guys think ? Maiking maps and getting paied is good, but in that case won't most of the SCII comunity be from mappers ?

Either way, only time will tell.

Oninuva

Reaction score
Same as iTunes store. You buy a map, you play it with other people that have bought the map. You don't "download" the map when you join a game. I'm sure people will make free and premium versions of the map though so you can test it out.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
Will it be possible to use the publish system without require players to pay for playing? Alternatively will the mapper be able to set the price?
*to lazy to watch stream*

A map signing system is one of my wishes for sc2, if you can publish free maps then I'm happy with this :)

Oninuva

Reaction score
Yes, the charging for maps is the mappers choice. Mainly intended so people can make better maps, have a larger team, etc.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't charge for my maps. It's just not right...

Dest

Reaction score
I mostly agree with the most posters above this post. Seriously, paying for a map that you don't even like? Battle.net is being ridiculous, and all maps should be 100% free. Besides, if you were to host that map, and people join, wouldn't that meant they would get the premium map for free?

Oh well. This doesn't stop me from buying SC2, anyway.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.