SC2 Premium Maps...

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the whole scenario is like this:

Scarface said:
"To make money, you have to have money. To have money, you need to make money..."

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
I have an idea. I'll just make a map, make a free version, anyone can play it. If they really enjoy it, make a paid version which will be updated more frequently.

KJS335

Reaction score
It's fair that they will introduce premium maps assuming that you can create a map with a lot of originality. Especially if you are making a very high quality and well polished map with extra 3D models and sounds.

I noticed that in the 3rd person shooter map example, it demonstrates some interesting new aspects like mouse + keyboard control and underground terrain.
But I have seen that it doesn't have other essential 3rd person shooter features that may be hard to implement : smooth camera detection (in one of the scenes, a barrier infront of the character blocked the camera, changing weapon, smooth character movement. (e.g. while running and shooting, the character should play independent lower body and upper body animation, the lower body running, the upperbody shooting)

The presentation guy said they only spent short time working on it so I hope they will add those features to enable creating a fully working 3rd person view game.
I don't know if they will get it up to a satisfactory quality in those parts in less than 6 months tho.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
chances are blizzard just will target most popular maps

this will turn out to be fail and aids somehow though

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Still, I do see some good in the premium maps. If someone makes something very, very good, he should be able to sell it.

The only thing I hope is that there will be enough good quality free maps to enjoy.

chanta45

Reaction score
Okay I think I missed something, when a premium map is updated, you don't have to pay for it again correct?

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Okay I think I missed something, when a premium map is updated, you don't have to pay for it again correct?

Probably not. If you do, then I'm going to quit SC2. It's not even out yet and I make that claim XD

lord_Turin

Reaction score
I think your all underestimating Blizzard slightly, if you get your map to be selected to be premium and people will download it its very likely that they wont have to pay for the updated version of your map. Else it would be really retarded.

And besides that blizzard has made clear that even DOTA in wc3 doesnt live up to their standards for a premium map. And although i dont like dota its one of the best made maps on Bnet believe it or not. So to get your game to be premium you'll have to get a shitload of costum models, which arent public and must be made by you or either your mapping team. And get a highly advanced new typ of gameplay.

Not every random TD/DOTA is gona be able to be premium, have a slightly more faith guys. And they wont charge you 10$ for a map. if they do, no one would play them. But if its 50 cents, well ifs its really that good and i can see screenies and trailers i'dd very likely buy it.

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
Wired.com: How do you moderate what maps get uploaded for sale?

Browder: The player decides. What will happen is, the player who has made the map will publish the map to the service, so they can get a hold of it, and he’ll have to decide what he wants to charge if he wants to charge. I don’t know what the exact rules will be. Like is there a limit how much they can charge? Can they charge $10,000 to see if there are any buyers? They’ll be some structure there for it, but they will decide and the community will decide what’s worth it, what’s reasonable and what’s not reasonable.

For Starcraft II at launch, it’s just going to be like Warcraft III, but you won’t get it peer-to-peer. Like in Warcraft III, if you try to join a game and you don’t have the map, you get booted because you’re a noob and they don’t want to give you the map. So you’re like, “Oh where do I get this map? I guess I have to find the website.” And it’s kind of a pain. We’re going to host all the maps on Battle.net now. When you publish a map it goes to Battle.net, and anyone can get it, they can play it with their friends, they can play it online, whatever they want to do. At some point down the road, they’ll be premium maps. Maps you won’t be able to just pull off of Battle.net for free, and where you’ll actually pay a developer.

Wired.com: Is there going to be any monitoring on Blizzard’s part with the upload process to the server, or do the players just put it up and you guys check the maps afterward?

Browder: We have a biohazard concept where players can report anything that’s objectionable to us, then we get reports and our GM staff will check it out and remove it if necessary. In terms of any sort of malicious things, we don’t know. We have to work it all out. There’s a whole bunch of questions unanswered in this space, like how do we protect these mapmakers so their stuff doesn’t get stolen?

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/08/starcraft-ii/

It's up to the map maker, not blizzard.

Tooblet

Reaction score
Yarr! (I know that I be braeakin' the Code of TH! But I'm a filthy Pirate! And we break rules!)

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
I don't see the problem with premium maps. Sure you have to pay for the map but in the interview, the lead designer said they will have the players judge if the price is reasonable so maybe give it like 10 stars or so. Most premium maps will probably end up with people paying 10 cents per map. Thats not that much too pay. Surely you could ask you parents to pay 10 cents for a map or maybe even 1 dollar. And if you don't like the premium maps, there will always be the mappers that hate the premium idea and make awesome maps for free. And premium maps will probably require you to give them your email and adress or credit card so blizz could pay you. That would probably stop most of the maps out there from becoming premium.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
I hope its like this. Anyone can play the map, but for bonus features like leveling ect you pay for those features for the map.

Example. Dota 2.0 for starcraft. all can play but if you want to be involved in the leveling system where you auto join into a game ect you pay.

KJS335

Reaction score
I hope its like this. Anyone can play the map, but for bonus features like leveling ect you pay for those features for the map.

Example. Dota 2.0 for starcraft. all can play but if you want to be involved in the leveling system where you auto join into a game ect you pay.

As far as we all know, we will only pay for maps. They said nothing about features like that.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
I don't see the problem with premium maps. Sure you have to pay for the map but in the interview, the lead designer said they will have the players judge if the price is reasonable so maybe give it like 10 stars or so. Most premium maps will probably end up with people paying 10 cents per map. Thats not that much too pay. Surely you could ask you parents to pay 10 cents for a map or maybe even 1 dollar. And premium maps will probably require you to give them your email and adress or credit card so blizz could pay you. That would probably stop most of the maps out there from becoming premium.

It will probably be like this.

Kelv

TH.net Regular
Reaction score

I hope that is not the case. Also, what does it mean to be involved in the leveling system? Isn't leveling a big deal in Dota? Your saying some people will just play as level 1's and only have one skill while other people will get to 25?

Can they charge $10,000 to see if there are any buyers? They’ll be some structure there for it, but they will decide and the community will decide what’s worth it, what’s reasonable and what’s not reasonable.

Browder used very loose words to say that you can not charge $10,000 if thats what he intended to say. Ever heard of the 'I Am Rich' app?

Arget

Reaction score
I'm watching the Blizzcon stream. It is happening. We are talking about Battle.Net 2.0 here.

From the limited info Blizzard revealed about premium maps. They are just maps you have to pay for to be able to play. The editor has a new feature called 'publish'. Publish uploads your map to battle.net to their own database list. Meaning you don't have to host a map for people to play it.

Now I am assuming you don't download maps anymore from a person hosting the map. It just downloads the map directly from the Blizzard server, since publishing your map uploads it. Maps listed at premium would require you to - well purchase the map before downloading it from the server.

This basically means that if the first segment of the first paragraph is correct, rips will be abolished. This may be a thorn and annoyance for some.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.