SC2 Premium Maps...

eskimojoe_66

Reaction score
So wait... you'll have to pay for every map that the mapper makes? so for example, we pay for coolmap v1.0, then an update is made because of some annoying bug, so we'll have to pay again for v1.1 @@
and if we dont have to pay for the updated map, then people who bought the first map will be angry because others got the updated map for free

...am i making sense?

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
It'll probably allow you to download the updated map for free if you have previous versions.

Hot

Reaction score
Well i dont think we have to worry about Dota being the dominate game, since other gaming companies have already make copys of dota, Heroes of Newrth and (this one is pretty nice), league of Ledgends and ofcourse some people will stick with Wc3 Dota:thup:

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
Great. So little kids like me cannot play fancy maps as little kids like me do not have online payment thingy yet. At least, I expect it to be like that.

Paying for maps is stupid :(

PureOwnage

Minecraft Server OP, Inactive.
Reaction score
I guess I'll make a few good free maps and then make 1 awesome polished map with my modeller in training.

Ice Bane

Reaction score
Great. So little kids like me cannot play fancy maps as little kids like me do not have online payment thingy yet. At least, I expect it to be like that.

Paying for maps is stupid :(

Dont you worry mate, there will be a lot of free maps too ;) Like my project which are to be created in SC2! =D

Joker(Div)

Always Here..
Reaction score
This really isn't that big of a deal. People are not going to pay for some random map they never heard of. Modders can charge for their maps, but don't expect anyone of play them.

The map would have to reach a level of popularity of dota or maybe 1 or 2 other maps out there for war3 before the maker should even consider turning it premium if they expect people to still play.

Nherwyziant

Be better than you were yesterday :D
Reaction score

No way, if a map got popular, like dota, frauds will occur. Like ex, "hey dude, you wan't to have this popular map? it will be 50$". guy2 "OMFG HERE YOU GO, HAVE MY MONEY". Then after, that, the guy 1 doesn't give the map, then guy2 said "NOOOOO!!"(suicide)

and, when a premium map is created, and players will join, they will get the map easily and no pay. :) or maybe you cannot join a premium map that you don't have. hmm

azareus

And you know it.
Reaction score
I bet DotA will not have a chance in SC2.
Seriously, it is pretty much the least original you can find on bnet.

I don't think many people would make their maps premium.
No one would buy it and people would just make free versions etc.

Excitiong to see how they would lock it though...

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Dota obviously will be on b.net. Some ones gonna make it and I think blizzard is going to think of a way to settle the prices and stuff. They said people can charge 10 000 dollars but they said that people are allowed to like rate or something so that the price isn't high. Also, most maps really are only going to be like 1 dollar or so. Cause I doubt anyone's going to want to buy maps for 10 dollars. Thats just too much.

chanta45

Reaction score
When will this thread die! lmao

To summarize:

1. Not every map can simply be set to premium by wish of the maker, must have a fair amount of popularity and be examined by blizzard.
2. Fairly sure map makers with some sort of brain, will set the map purchase fee to around a +-1$. (If they themselves can set the price, not too sure)
3. Dota will be present in SC2 I believe (Unfortunately), premium or not we don't know.
4. Before a map becomes premium, you will most likely play free older versions across b-net, and you can decide whether or not you like the game to purchase it.
5. Pretty damn sure fraud is impossible, premium maps have been examined by blizzard, and are downloaded from the blizzard server, not peer2peer I believe.
6. Any map considered premium is expected to be it's own game within a game. First person shooters, massive RPG's scaling several maps, a custom turn based strategy game with class levels, city building, or generally a map with a suprising amount of effort is is the grounds for becoming premium.

Again these premium maps are supposed to be a game within a game, and I think if blizzard does it's job examining these maps and determining which ones are worth premium status, then I think absolutely it will add to the longevity of starcraft2, and be the cause of some truly amazing maps.

I wouldn't mind paying 2 bucks for a custom SC2 RPG that may have 10+ hours of gameplay, interesting storyline, cool items and spells.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.