SC2 will not provide LAN

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
I bet on a treat at a pizza hut that Starcraft II is gonna dissapoint some people. It might have flashy new effects and a lot of new features but I bet that it won't have that feeling the games like diablo II, starcraft, or the older FF games had.

So, I guess that it is up to the mappers to save the day... again... let's hope that there aren't any hidden glitches in the Star Editor.... again...

Edit: Look how many people have replied to the petition in how little time :O lol...

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
So, no internet connection = no game.

Somebody wanna bet how long time it takes for a pirated version of the game that allows playing without internet connection to be released?
I bought a laptop that will be able to play sc2 so that I can play with a friend on the train (no internet) so this suxs big time...

If that is the case then I guess it would not take long for such a thing to appear after the game is released.

And I for one would be happy to get it asap, beacuse as I see it, if I pay for a game and it has no lan function but has the promise of a multiplayer feature, then I should not require internet to use that feature, since not everyone has internet connection that is stable enought to play such a big game online.

It's not exactly the same thing as playing wow you know, there is a lot more info sent back and forth when you are playing a RTS game.

Conclusion, they have promised "Full multiplayer support, with new competitive features and matchmaking utilities available through Battle.net". That quote is taken right out of their own starcraft 2 page, and to me "Full multiplayer support" includes LAN without the need of having an internet connection. Else they should have written "Half multiplayer support" or something like that:nuts:

FhelZone

Have a drink of a nice cold mellowberry juice!
Reaction score
No LAN means it is somesort of worthless single player game in your hard drive without having internet.

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
My thought is, They will put in LAN, or at least an alternative that will work similarily. It would just be stupid to make it so you need internet to play multiplayer

Ioannes

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Reaction score
My thought is, They will put in LAN, or at least an alternative that will work similarily. It would just be stupid to make it so you need internet to play multiplayer

Sounds like a calculated risk to me. After all, the places where Blizzard games sell the largest number of original copies (the First World) are also the places where the Internet is most widely used, I guess.

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
If you buy scII when it comes out then there's probably just going to be ladder and a bunch of balanced games that custom gamers don't like

You can't really play ladder on lan, and ladder's going to be one of the best test of skill/strategy anyone can ever take. so I don't really mind that they removed it. Hell, people have played 10k games on b.net, which is way more than most people have customed.
Wc3 has low reqs too, so even if your connections slow you should be able to play perfectly fine, and if your friends want to play too, you can arrange team or custom.
Why would you need a 1 gb connection to play dota or battleships

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
> so even if your connections slow you should be able to play perfectly fine

Few questions you need to be certain off:
  1. Have you suffer from terrible delay? Like 2-5 seconds? Try using Pudge, it'll be fun to hook creeps.
  2. Frequest disconnections?
  3. Terrible lag/disturbance due to host connection problem (the damn "Please wait for XX player..." thing always pop up in the middle of the game.)

If you're fine with the above questions, then you're safe to say 'perfectly fine'.

And, if you have 3 brothers, do you really need 3 keys to play?

WilliamPa

Reaction score
If online at same time, yes. Blizzard uses one battlenet/one cdkey in it's strategy games(Starcraft and Warcraft, no clue about Diablo). I don't think they are gonna abandon that because it would mean much less profit, so yes, you would need ANOTHER 3 keys for your brothers(assuming that you play it too).

emootootoo

Top Banana
Reaction score
seems like a good move to me

the only possible negative impact on players from the information present, would be not being able to lan without an internet connection

that's really not that big of an issue compared to the piracy it prevents

i'm all for it

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Why would you need a 1 gb connection to play dota or battleships

Dude, how the F*** can you even think about comparing a game that requires a 450Mhz processor to play, with a game that is coming out soon.

With battle for middle earth 2 for example I can only play without lag in singleplayer or with a 1GB lan connection. That is probably mostly beacuse of that the game itself is coded a bit badly or something.

But anyway, Starcraft 2 will be a lot heavier on your comp than a freakin' more than 5 year old game:eek: And there will probably be a lot more data to send between the comps during lan, which means that higher speed is required.
I remember playing wc3 without lag on this:

500Mhz Intel processor.
64Mb ram.
32mb graphicscard(Nvidia Riva TNT2 Ultra edition)
and 10Mb lan card.

You can't compare that to a game today! I don't even think that they can be played on lan with 10Mb:p

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
Well I am going to assume its more of a verifaction tool. That when you play lan but are connected to the internet, assueming they force us to go on bnet. It will still be able to go the speed of the network and not force it to go to slow down to the standard bnet speed. But will be more flexable.

With warcraft 3 I am under the impression that with warcraft it has a differnt locked in max speed of refrease if your useing lan and one for useing b-net unless you u use a third party program that changes that.

With starcraft 2 I am under the impression that it wont be locked and will be more flexable even if its behind the sceens on the speed. They may even reopen it up like it was with starcraft 1.

In anycase If its more of a verifaction tool, most lan partys today geting online isnt a huge issue. Never the less the down side is that if you have a lan party and your freind was gona play it just the one time when he came over, he would be required to buy it and not just use a fake code for offline and you could not play a lan party with no internet connection.

They could possiblty do it more like CS-Sorce. Thats sorta a middle ground. Where you have to log on line but you can still play lan if you log into a offline mode online.

Overall I dont like this move. But wont stop me from geting the game. As I have lan partys with freinds all teh time, and have avoideing internet connection.

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
that's really not that big of an issue compared to the piracy it prevents
Since when did required internet connection prevent piracy? Especially when the pirated games won't require internet connection to work. Pretty much the same situation as this stupid "you must have the disc in your computer to be able to play" that makes the start time of games 5 seconds longer than they have to be. Basically the pirated games will be better than the stock one.

I'll buy the game, but I have to pirate it too or else I wont be able to play when I want.

LiveSsenkrad

Reaction score
The incompetence is extremely insane. Blizzard makes a move against piracy, and then 40 000+ people complain about it... Why? Because the all are fucking not willing to buy the fucking game, it really has nothing to do with internet connections, because who DOESN'T have a connection to play with???? I think this has been a great move to anti piracy.

To all those who are against it:"UP yours you motherfucking pirate"

Just imagine, one person buys the game, cracks it and shares it with 10 other people in a LAN party, and then the fucker goes and uploads in on 10 different pirate sites, making blizzard lose money faster than you can say:"I complain about no LAN because I just want to pirate the fucking game."

No LAN FTW.

BTW, IMO they will make it near impossible to host pirated servers.

Im_On_56k

Hm...
Reaction score
The incompetence is extremely insane. Blizzard makes a move against piracy, and then 40 000+ people complain about it... Why? Because the all are fucking not willing to buy the fucking game, it really has nothing to do with internet connections, because who DOESN'T have a connection to play with???? I think this has been a great move to anti piracy.

To all those who are against it:"UP yours you motherfucking pirate"

Just imagine, one person buys the game, cracks it and shares it with 10 other people in a LAN party, and then the fucker goes and uploads in on 10 different pirate sites, making blizzard lose money faster than you can say:"I complain about no LAN because I just want to pirate the fucking game."

No LAN FTW.

BTW, IMO they will make it near impossible to host pirated servers.
You seem to not understand anything you have posted. The '40,000 people who complain because they don't want to buy the game' are people who are buying the game.

because who DOESN'T have a connection to play with???? I think this has been a great move to anti piracy.
There are LOTS of people living in rural areas without a stable internet connection. There are also several events where there is no internet connection present, just one massive LAN.

This is a horrible example/theory.
It appears you have never been to a real LAN before as you seem to be against it and cohered to the fact that all you do at LAN is pirate games.

Also Activision Blizzard is not going to lose money. With a 5 billion revenue last year they could give out Starcraft 2 for free and still be in the profit margins.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
There are LOTS of people living in rural areas without a stable internet connection. There are also several events where there is no internet connection present, just one massive LAN.

Very true. In my case, you pay more than double to get higher internet speeds.

I just so happen to be having a LAN party this Saturday, with 9 people over. Our 1.5 megaBIT connection isn't going to handle all of us playing a game over the internet at the same time, so we're playing games over the LAN.

Yes, our LAN parties are few and far between, but what if my brother and I want to play a map together? In Team Fortress 2, we can simply run the server off one computer, and have a 4ms latency. In any only server, the best possible latency with both of us playing together is about 90. We actually just finished playing TF2 together offline, over the LAN, and it is NOT few and far between.

Blizzard's choice to not include LAN will simply make the game get less attention from large families and social gamers.

For those of you who think SC2 is aiming for the WoW-playing audience, let me give you a quote from WoW (not word for word): "Play with your friends in Azeroth, but don't forget to play with them outside Azeroth too". World of Warcraft is aimed to be an online gaming community. It sounds like Blizzard is planning for SC2 to be closer to what the WC3 community was.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
Well, honest to be, I kind of fail to see how this can prevent piracy...

Well, I've read some articles and here's one of them:

caphe said:
The reason lies in pirating and particularly in China.
First of all let me do a quick introduce about the backbone of Chinese SC/WC3 gaming platform in China:
As we already known Chinese SC players are among the best outside of Korea, and I can guarantee you that most of Chinese SC players don’t even play on Bnet. They play on a gaming platform called Haofang(and few others but Haofang is the 1st and the biggest)

A few thing about Haofang: It is biggest gaming site in China, it has millions of users for many games including SC and WC3. It is free and using LAN(TCP/IP protocol) to allow players to play.

How Haofang works: You download a small program for Haofang, run it, tell it where your SC folder is. You join a room(max 255 players because TCP/IP can handle max to 255)then hit RUN, the little program will load your SC up and instead of log on to Bnet you go to LAN, and can find many games their to play since 255 players in the same room is a lot.

Why it is bad: Cos millions of players in China were/are/going to using pirated SC/WC3 to play without any limitation.

Why Blizzard cares: Of course they care, if even SC2 is going to last only half the life of SC the next big market is definitely China(cos Korea is given). If things going on like SC/WC3 Blizzard is going to lose tons of money.

Did Blizzard do anything about it: Yes they did but failed. A few year back Blizzard sued Haofang but lost and Haofang is continue to grow and now become the most recognize site in China(among gamers of course).
Why is Haofang able to sneak pass Blizzard: Haofang told that they only allow players play via LAN(TCP/IP) they do not do anything to mess with Blizzard Battle.net and thus can not be judged. I know it is bullshit since it allows players with pirated copies play multi play which is the life SC, but it holds true in the EULA and Blizzard can do nothing about it.

Taken from http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=96603

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
I think it's still pirate-able even without LAN. Someone would just create a patch and a server and then play Bnet illegally, without CD key. It's been done. No LAN means alternatives will come in. Piracy will never seize to amaze one sometimes.

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
49515 Signatures Total

Don't think its going to do any good though

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.