SC2 will not provide LAN

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
meh, I'm sure they will provide some sort of offline multi-play that only requires one key.

Ioannes

Oh man, I shot Marvin in the face.
Reaction score
I think it's still pirate-able even without LAN. Someone would just create a patch and a server and then play Bnet illegally, without CD key. It's been done. No LAN means alternatives will come in. Piracy will never seize to amaze one sometimes.

Piracy is just illegal modding :rolleyes:

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Blizzard have gone through a hell lot of trouble just for the destruction of Garena and this Haofang...

Still, I don't care. There is such a thing as "free servers". Sadly there won't be any.... big competition. I never liked battle.net. I have original warcraft III and original tft, but I never played in b.net for more then 2 weeks. I won't play in b.net in SCII as well :p

still if blizzard do it.... a lot of people will hate them.

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
Blizzard's wc3 copyright laws say that you must host all blizzard games on battle.net with nothing else, no 3rd party programs. Nothing. Thats why WarSoc is illegal. And Im guessing Blizzard had to do something about Haofang in order to stop them from playing blizzard games on different programs,w ebsites, etc. I seriously doubt blizzard would just let them play without suing the website. And if you guys want to see the copywright laws that don't allow emulators of any sort and only allow you to play on battle.net, here it is:

you are not entitled to:
(iv) host or provide matchmaking services for the Program, or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Blizzard in the network feature of the Program, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the Program, use of a utility program, or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to, network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks, or as part of content aggregation networks without the prior written consent of Blizzard;

8. "On-Line" Components of the Program. This Program contains an 'on-line' component that allows you to utilize the Product over the Internet utilizing servers and software maintained or authorized by Blizzard. Blizzard agrees to provide the servers and software technology necessary to utilize the "on-line" component of the Program in accordance with this End User License Agreement and with the Terms of Use that you must accept prior to playing on Blizzard’s Internet gaming service "Battle.net."

Steel

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Here's an idea: Have the game check your CD Key upon start up. If it's invalid you can't play, if you don't have an internet connection it defaults back to letting you play single player only.

Or use something similar to how steam check the games there. With this giant overhaul to Battle.net there has to be some sort of way to make this work properly.

†ALPHA†

Reaction score
I don't know if it's been asked before but I wonder how the fact that sc2 is a trilogy will affect this. As far as I can remember, we were gonna get all three races for multiplayer immediately right? So will the other two expansions/sequels allow you to play with those who just got the first one? This would at least let you to have a LAN-type game with your buddy without having to buy the whole thing twice...

My gut tells me... maybe...

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
All races available with first release. Three games differ only by campaigns in Warcraft terms. Someone who has Terrain version can play with opponent who owns Protoss or Zerg version.

This is going off topic, subject is having LAN available or not and its alternatives.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I'm with vypur on this one. There are servers for Battle.net, in WCIII and SC... although this is illegal, while the LAN thing is not, but meh =/.

w/e

Boaroceraptorasaurus-Rex
Reaction score
I wish they kept the warcraft III system. I frequently use LAN with my brother to play without delay.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
It is called free servers my friend. The only problem in them is that the range of people playing in them isn't that big or good(but then again battle net sux so bad that people usually leave on the 5th minute so....).

juty

Zoom out problems look smaller
Reaction score
This could provide to be painful for people who get capped easily but other wise i see no problems except for them ppl on the islands who have 2-3 pcs who enjoy lans with friends and family and have no net not to be sarcastic at all. but blizzard has really F@#$ed up on this one but there not as bad as EA

Hotrootsoup

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been posted, but I didn't feel like going through 4 pages of ranting.

I think what Blizzard is doing is that once you log in to B.net, you get the lan option. That way, you can still play lan, but B.net can still check your CD key. At least, thats the smart way of doing it.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
I think what Blizzard is doing is that once you log in to B.net, you get the lan option. That way, you can still play lan, but B.net can still check your CD key. At least, thats the smart way of doing it.

I am very in favor of this, because I hate piracy. Hope they implement this kind of an option, not remove LAN completely.

And don't tell me you have no money for the game and can only allow pirated cheap or free copies - you shouldn't be playing at all if that's the case and find yourself a job or other options to make money.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
>And don't tell me you have no money for the game and can only allow pirated cheap or free copies - you shouldn't be playing at all if that's the case and find yourself a job or other options to make money.

I agree, a lot of people's job depends on people buying the game, you know ? THey also have families to take care of. I will buy SCII (like I did with diablo II and warcraft) but because I am srsly feb up with battle net, I will switch to the nearest big server. Why ? Battle net sucks. It has all the world's noobs and leavers in one place. Somehow in GGC there were almost no leavers, there were noobs, but only in the noob Rooms...

DarkRevenant

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Instead of forcing all seats to buy the full $50 game, why can't they just have a modified "spawning" system? Even a $5 fee per spawn would be better than $50...

Jaujarahje

I have now changed this in the User CP
Reaction score
I just thought of something. If they altogether get rid of LAN and you need a seperate disc for each comp then just buy the trilogy. All the campaign discs should work with each other for multiplayer right? Then when you buy the trilogy just install a different disk on each computer. If you have more then 3 computers then I guess you'll be SOL though

†ALPHA†

Reaction score
I just thought of something. If they altogether get rid of LAN and you need a seperate disc for each comp then just buy the trilogy. All the campaign discs should work with each other for multiplayer right? Then when you buy the trilogy just install a different disk on each computer. If you have more then 3 computers then I guess you'll be SOL though

That's what I was trying to say...

Yeh, I think that would be a decent alternative for most of us..

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Omg, noobs, try running tft version below 1.20 on ROC (because after 1.20 there is no CD needed)
There will be Starcraft II and 2 e-x-p-a-n-s-i-o-n-s.... there will be balance and improvments, new units.... not just campaings.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.