SC2 will not provide LAN

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
i hope they at least have better response time than wc3. i used lan with hamachi on wc3 so the latency was much lower, i still dont understand to this day why blizzard purposely made wc3 limit how low your latency could go. hopefully it was a limitation due to battlenet and will be better with this upgraded battlenet.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Taken from somewhere I forgot.

All of this is based on imagination, none of these are true.

About LAN, there'a a way to cut piracy off in a different way.

First, you run Starcraft 2 (StarCraft 2, sp?). The game checks to see if you have the right CD key, which is the same as the CD Key pre-recorded (pre-burned, "has been in the disc before you bought it", etc.) in the CD.

After it checks, and you passed, you won't need your discs (like as in Warcraft 3 Patch 1.20).

Then you see the title screen, there's only one Battle.Net button. You press it, and you see a smaller box with two buttons. Select Online or Offline.

When using Offline, you don't need to reconnect to Battle.Net for security checkup, because that security check is already done checking. It's when you start running the game. CD Keys matches the CD hash encrypted codes, which (my guess) is a 126-digit randomly generated password, save the last 127th and 128th digit for bypassing piracy only. Using 7zip compression codecs, the 128-digit full password is then compressed into a simple 20-digit CD Key, which was used during the installation process. (XXXXX-XXXX-XXXXXX-XXXX-XXXXX, something like that.)

When Online, you know the drills.

For Offline, it's a different name for LAN playing.

For Online, however, you can see that there are more realms than Warcraft 3 realms.

R 3 T R O

Reaction score
my opinion i think Blizzard is making all the wrong decisions everything they are doing currently is just dumb like the H2I function. Like come on i understand its flaws but removing it and causes thousands of maps and resourses to redo their map and some of them who no longer play war is just dumb! im going to stick with warcraft

Kenito

I Helps Most Goodly
Reaction score
tom_mai: Does this mean that your installation of Starcraft II will check to ensure that you're using the same CD key that, err...was burned onto the disc that you installed the game with? Rather overdone, if you ask me. :p

Oh, well. No more challenging my younger brother to 1v1s with ridiculous game rules (tier 1 battles!).

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
tom_mai: Does this mean that your installation of Starcraft II will check to ensure that you're using the same CD key that, err...was burned onto the disc that you installed the game with? Rather overdone, if you ask me. :p

Oh, well. No more challenging my younger brother to 1v1s with ridiculous game rules (tier 1 battles!).
Otherwise, do you think Blizzard, leaving out LAN, will still let you play with your friends in Cybercafes in Korea?

And, those kind of ridiculous rules make the game more wanting to play. I wish I can play those challienging gameplays.

Fun_

Reaction score
Please have fun, and actually, and legally, buy the game. Doing stupid and illegal things is actually bad. Other Things you can do, to me anyway, are even more stupid. I mean, the game might only costs around $40, so quit freaking out. Just Download some legal software to make your computer run faster, wow.

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
Please have fun, and actually, and legally, buy the game. Doing stupid and illegal things is actually bad. Other Things you can do, to me anyway, are even more stupid. I mean, the game might only costs around $40, so quit freaking out. Just Download some legal software to make your computer run faster, wow.

enjoy playing sc2 with wireless lan + laptops

oh wait no you cant

D.V.D

Make a wish
Reaction score
I heard from some web that there going to add something similar to lan just that you can't get the game illegally.

WilliamPa

Reaction score
I'm not sure but i think garena is some program supporter which allows to connect LAN to others to create tournaments etc. I think battle.net supports this since I saw a Garena-ad in their site.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
No, Garena is a third-party program, which Blizzards does not supports.

If Starcraft 2 can't use LAN, maybe Garena might fix the problem.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Will it really solve the problem of piracy?
I mean, for wc3 there are not-blizzard bnets that dont requier CD-keys. And they don't use lan.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
About that one, I don't know. It could be our alternative...

But, it would still counts as using the internet.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
am i the only one who doesnt see this as that big of a deal? (then again i never use lan)

DBZ-123

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Judging by all the information in this thread I actully think they will keep Lan but do it in a way to stop piracy.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
wait someone who doesn't use lan is a perfect player ? By all means blow me. There is a world of servers that uses Lan. Why I got so pissed of of the "only battle net ftw" thing... well... I prefer Garena over battle net. I mean there are rooms for beginers, rooms for experts and such. Also there really aren't hardly any killers and you can choose if you want to play in a room specially for your country or to go to a room with random players... Just Garena and a coupple of more servers are a lot better then battle.net and the fact that there is no Lan makes them unable to use Starcraft...

Note: This post wasn't made to offend anyone.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
wait someone who doesn't use lan is a perfect player ? By all means blow me. There is a world of servers that uses Lan. Why I got so pissed of of the "only battle net ftw" thing... well... I prefer Garena over battle net. I mean there are rooms for beginers, rooms for experts and such. Also there really aren't hardly any killers and you can choose if you want to play in a room specially for your country or to go to a room with random players... Just Garena and a coupple of more servers are a lot better then battle.net and the fact that there is no Lan makes them unable to use Starcraft...

Note: This post wasn't made to offend anyone.
Other players use third-party programs (Garena) to play servers other than Battle.net and "Worldwide LAN", which violated the EULA. You can't play LAN and compete someone across a continent by normal means. So, it's "illegal" to play. This is why I said that he is a formal player. He didn't use LAN to play "illegally".

And webcafes uses LAN because they are being sponsored by some game industries, which Blizzard gave permissions for them to use their products. Hence, they are not "illegal".

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.