General Scholars say our calendar needs a serious overhaul.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Using computer programs and mathematical formulas, Richard Conn Henry, an astrophysicist in the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, and Steve H. Hanke, an applied economist in the Whiting School of Engineering, have created a new calendar in which each new 12-month period is identical to the one which came before, and remains that way from one year to the next in perpetuity.

Under the Hanke-Henry Permanent Calendar, for instance, if Christmas fell on a Sunday in 2012 (and it would), it would also fall on a Sunday in 2013, 2014 and beyond. In addition, under the new calendar, the rhyme "30 days hath September, April, June and November," would no longer apply, because September would have 31 days, as would March, June and December. All the rest would have 30. (Try creating a rhyme using that.)

"Our plan offers a stable calendar that is absolutely identical from year to year and which allows the permanent, rational planning of annual activities, from school to work holidays," says Henry, who is also director of the Maryland Space Grant Consortium. "Think about how much time and effort are expended each year in redesigning the calendar of every single organization in the world and it becomes obvious that our calendar would make life much simpler and would have noteworthy benefits."

Among the practical advantages would be the convenience afforded by birthdays and holidays (as well as work holidays) falling on the same day of the week every year. But the economic benefits are even more profound, according to Hanke, an expert in international economics, including monetary policy.

Read more here.

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
Do_Not_Want_Dog%20(1).jpg

Life would become so boring D:

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish they would do it but it won't happen. Not anytime soon at least. It would be a computer updating nightmare, even though it would be worth it. I like the idea of Universal Time as well.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
I came in here planning to say what all of you have already stated. blast...

MasterOfRa

Reaction score
While this would be convenient, logical, and honestly an overall improvement, the inertia means that this will never happen, unless it was implemented in the beginning.

Oh, and the same issue keeps using a keyboard DESIGNED TO BE INEFFICIENT.

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Reaction score
Having a calender that constantly changes makes life interesting, it adds that little bit of variety to our lives. If the year becomes uniform, what is there to distinguish the years from each other? What makes each year unique? This sounds like a bad idea on a philosophical and ethical level, although I can understand the appeal for business ventures. It's kind of a statement about how our lives now revolve more around money and less about living... I for one am against this!

YourFace

<span style="color:#9C9C9C;"><strong>Runner Up - T
Reaction score
Having a calender that constantly changes makes life interesting, it adds that little bit of variety to our lives. If the year becomes uniform, what is there to distinguish the years from each other? What makes each year unique? This sounds like a bad idea on a philosophical and ethical level, although I can understand the appeal for business ventures. It's kind of a statement about how our lives now revolve more around money and less about living... I for one am against this!

Just cause Christmas comes on a monday next year doesn't make life more riveting

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Why not just switch our holidays and school days around? 2 school days and 5 holidays per week = Best calendar ever!

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with this change.
Except the birthday part, maybe..
But policies can be made to consider that =P

I hated memorizing all those calendar arithmetic thingies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.