US News School Apologizes After Putting Fried Chicken, Watermelon On Lunch Menu For Black History Month

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
CONCORD (CBS SF) – Officials at an East Bay private school are apologizing after a controversial lunch menu option to celebrate Black History Month.

Students at Carondelet High School for Girls in Concord wanted to come up with ways to observe the occasion during a lunchtime celebration Friday. But when the school announced a menu of fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon, other students and parents became offended.

“When I first saw that, I was confused. I didn’t understand why our school would do this because we’re totally against that kind of stuff,” said Gianna Scoma, a junior at Carondelet.

School officials held an assembly on campusWednesday to discuss the issue and also sent a letter apologizing to parents. Principal Nancy Libby wrote that the items were taken off of the menu and that the school doesn’t perpetrate racial stereotypes.

Last edited:

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
That's hilarious. What a shame that the kids couldn't just enjoy their fried chicken watermelon.

Snowbizzle

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
That shit is too funny. They should have added grape soda to the menu.

Firecat, it's offensive because it draws attention to a negative racial stereotype that assumes all Black people love fried chicken and watermelon. It doesn't promote awareness of Black historical figures or their key roles in society/culture...instead, as some people in the article say, it reduces those accomplishments to a joke of a lunch menu. Which in their eyes is bad.

If the lunch came with a little pamphlet that explained the historical significance of fried chicken and watermelon in Black culture, then it might be okay because it would be educational. Instead it's just stereotypical and racist (again, to some people. I would have loved to have fried chicken and watermelon at my school for lunch).

But it is hilarious that they have some Hispanic chick in the article who's all, "On Cinco de Mayo we would have probably had enchiladas, rice, and beans." Totally true, and you don't see them getting their panties in a twist.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Ngl if I was in high school and saw fried chicken, watermelon, and cornbread on the menu I'd be hella happy.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd love to eat that. I love fried chicken, I love watermelon and I can go for some cornbread.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Firecat, it's offensive because it draws attention to a negative racial stereotype that assumes all Black people love fried chicken and watermelon.

How is that negative OR untrue? Bitches shouldn't be complaining, they be lucky the black kids didn't have to make it for the white kids. That would be kind of racist.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I think Dave Chappel talked about this some in his stand up :) Ain't a thing wrong with Fried Chicken and Watermelon ever!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.