[Sci/Tech] Sun Microsystems is to pay $1bn for open source database developer MySQL.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
MySQL's open source databases are widely used online, but Sun is hoping to increase their use in more traditional IT and enterprise settings. The database is used by many websites - 50,000 copies a day are downloaded.

MySQL will be integrated into Sun's Software, Sales and Services organisation. MySQL's CEO Marten Mickos will join Sun's senior executive team, and a group of staff from both companies will sort out the integration.

Read on...

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
1 Billion for MySQL. Cheap at twice the price I tell ya - properly marketed. I just cannot see someone paying so much for a free product though. Might not look good for us MySQL users for free anymore :(

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
I just cannot see someone paying so much for a free product though.
For those that wants to pay they have this: https://shop.mysql.com/enterprise/

I don't think MySQL will change to proprietary, Sun have made many moves towards the "open source community" and changing MySQL in that way will most likely void any generated goodwill. Besides, changing license doesn't affect previous versions so anyone that wants can continue free development. GPL isn't called a legal virus for nothing :p

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Logical1 - the TH.net hacker says postgres is better. So do all my other friends in RL. Why don't we use it besides the compatibility issue LOL.

InfectedWithDrew

I used to go here a lot.
Reaction score
Sun will leave MySQL free.

Sun creates OpenOffice. It could make huge money by selling the suite for a small fee but it distributes it freely. Don't worry, this is more than likely good news.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah but why? Where do they make money? How do they have a billion standing to buy a free service? There is no advertising in MySQL. This is not MySpace.

I bet the Executive Package is Kicking!

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Maybe they plan to make a new Mysql version that is exclusive made by Sun and by buying the company there is no competition or law suites.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe they think that Google might want it at 4 Billion if they throw a little somthing something at it? Its worth 4 Billion right now at its lowest. The potential for MySQL even as a 5 dollar license with 1 dollar upgrades is huge. Every little website out there could absorb that cost and mysql could take over the internet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.